Long time Amerks fans have begun calling this current team one of the worst ever inÂ theÂ team’s 52 yearÂ history, it all comes down to tonights game.Â A great incentive to want to go to tonights game against rival the Hamilton Bulldogs isn’t it?
A loss tonight would put the team in the record books for longest losing streak in team history, also a win by the Norfolk Admirals would give the Amerks sole ownership of last place in the league in points.
A win won’t stop comparions to one of the worst teams ever, but it could give the team and fans the hope of things starting toÂ turn in the right direction.
The defendingÂ Calder CupÂ ChampionÂ Hamilton Bulldogs aren’t that much better of a team this season with only 10 wins themselves, but the Amerks have played 5 more games than them.Â The Amerks this season are 3-0-1 against the Bulldogs so at least we know it’s a team they can and have beaten.
The keys to a win are pretty simple, and what would seem like common sense:
- Play a consistent 60 minutes of hockey.Â If the team can get an early lead they need to play the rest of the game to hold on to it.Â The team has been inconsistent with many efforts this season.
- Stay out of the penalty box.Â A number of losses this season could be directly tied to undisciplined penalties that resulted in power play goals for the other team.
- Goaltending.Â Tyler Plante is expected to start in the net and he needs to stay in the net, let your defense get the puck from behind the net.
- Defense.Â Keep the puck out of your own end, don’t make risky passes in front of the net, don’t make any mistakes on power plays that could give Hamilton shorthanded opportunities.
They all seem like the basics and sometimes when you’ve hit rock bottom you need to focus on just the basics and not try and be fancy.
In the Friday edition of the Democrat and ChronicleÂ Stefan Meyer that this is a great time for scouts of both parent teams to come and watch if they want to see who is really out there playing giving it there all.
A lot can be read into those comments, let’s just hope thatÂ it means the players are looking toÂ step up, be leaders, turn this sinking ship around, and show there employers they are sick of losing, able to handle the adversity, and ready to win again.
The matchup: Amerks vs. Hamilton Bulldogs (affiliate of the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens).
Time/place: 7:35 tonight/Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial.
Tickets: $21, $17, $13, $11.
Promotional bonanza: Area Wegmans have $21 tickets for $14. College students can buy $17 tickets for $11 or $13 tickets for $9. There are ticket discounts for all students and school employees.
In the lobby: The Gregory Street Blues Band will play in the atrium before the game starting at 6 p.m.
The season series: Believe it or not, the Amerks are 3-0-1 against the Bulldogs. They have won twice in a shootout and lost in overtime.
Latest posts by Keith Wozniak (see all)
- Amerks Fall to Fourth Place - February 21, 2018
- Amerks Focusing on Playing a Team Game - February 21, 2018
- Amerks 2018-2019 Early Bird Season Ticket Pricing - February 21, 2018
- Quick Call Up for Ullmark; Krause Injured; DMB up from Cincy - February 19, 2018