The Amerks won back to back games against the Manitoba Moose, what an excellent start to the new year! Karl Stewart scored the game winning goal in the 10th round of the shootout on Saturday to give the Amerks the two game sweep. The last time the Amerks won in Manitoba was December 2006.
Mike Brodeur is now leading the AHL with a 1.59 goals against average following Saturday nights win, if he continues at this pace he should be selected to Team Canada for the AHL All-Star Classic.
On Friday night Stefan Meyer and Jacob Micflikier scored to give the Amerks a 2-1 win.
Saturday goals were scored for Cory Murphy, Stefan Meyer, and the shoot out winner by Karl Stewart for the 3-2 win.
Cory Murphy cleared waivers back on October 11th, makes one wonder if the team could have started the season any differently had he been assigned here at that time.
The Amerks gained four points this weekend and continue climbing the steps out of last place, a lot of games are left in the season and a lot is possible.
“We were better than we were last night,” Moose head coach Scott Arniel said after Saturdays game.
If they were better and the Amerks still won, that’s a sign they’re an improved team.
The Moose are playing without Jason Jaffray and Alexandre Bolduc who have both been called up by the Vancouver Canucks, but we’re playing without Shawn Matthias.. that’s comparable wouldn’t you agree? (insert sarcasm!)
I wasn’t able to listen to or watch either, luckily the Manitoba Moose have an amazing web site that has highlights from both games.
Thoughts from watching the highlights:
Friday nights 2-1 win –
* Fistric mixing it up with Sprukts, is he crazy? Sprukts would break him in half just by looking at him.
* Meyer’s 8th goal of the season, Amerks first of the game assisted by Larman and Gelech. Three players that everyone has been expecting more out of. Good job guys!
* Micflikier’s third goal of the season and game winning goal scored in front of family and friends, and a great shot it was from the face off circle.
* Nice seeing the team play smart hockey in the closing seconds by not icing the puck (something the Moose would later do on Saturday night)
Saturday nights 3-2 shootout win –
* Amazing Brodeur didn’t stop Ouellet’s first goal short handed.
* Cory Murphy was on the ice for all four regulation goals, did he play the whole game?
* Cory Murphy’s first ever AHL goal, and first of the game was an excellent shot from the point that beat Goehring stick side.. also a great pass by Repik.
* Ouellet’s 2nd goal was a great shot.
* Meyer tied the game 2-2 with 5 seconds left in regulation for his 9th goal of the season, assisted by Murphy who shot the puck perfectly in front of the net where Meyer could tip it in. Well, it looked more like a perfect pass than a direct shot on goal.
The Amerks will travel back to Rochester on Sunday with their next game on Friday night at Blue Cross Arena against the slumping Crunch who are 1-6-2-1 in the last 10 games.
Pass the word to friends and family, the Amerks are playing some exciting hockey again!
Latest posts by Keith Wozniak (see all)
- Time for Bailey, Baptiste and UIlmark to Lead in the Playoffs - April 19, 2018
- Amerks Regular Season by the Numbers - April 16, 2018
- 2018 First Round Details: Rochester vs Syracuse - April 15, 2018
- A Big Crowd Fueled Justin Bailey and the Amerks Comeback - April 14, 2018