The cold hard fact is that in hockey, success is achieved only by playoff series victories.
This season featured a lot of nice moments:
- A great summer of vet signings
- A new GM who knows how to win
- An amazing Frozen Frontier event
- A visit to The Spengler Cup
- A great run to get into the playoffs
- A fun series against Chicago
But it’s not enough. The bottom line is that for the 10th season in a row the Amerks did not win a playoff series.
Why? There are several reasons to discuss:
- Injuries to veterans Bagnall, Tardif and Zigomanis hurt big time in the series against Chicago.
- Lots of injuries and recalls throughout the season hurt seeding and the chance to get momentum against a lesser foe.
- It was 5 game series rather than 7.
- The choke in game 1.
- The lost battles throughout game 5.
- The over-officious October penalty calling didn’t favor a team like the Amerks vs. a team like Chicago.
None of these really matter in the end. 10 seasons without a [...]Read More