Huge Crowd; Huge Fail;Huge Disappointment

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Huge Crowd; Huge Fail;Huge Disappointment

Post by insagt1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:03 am

You could see this coming last night. No shots on goal for nearly the first 14 minutes of the game. One completely vacated net totally missed. And a full 60 minutes of indifferent play from the goalie on out. Result? A 5-1 totally deserved beatdown which had most of the over 8,300 fans pouring to the exits with around 6 or 7 minutes to play,

Disgraceful. Yet another chance to impress a big crowd flushed down the toilet. And it continues to amaze how differently the fans who watch regularly and the folks who are paid to defend the Sabres see things. We the fans, saw a disorganized, uninterested, unmotivated team go thru the motions for 60 minutes. Meanwhile our coach and our most distinguished radio postgame host saw it differently. Oh they said a few things that would indicate the team didn't show up. But then--both Brayton and Taylor actually said our goalie, who gave up 5--3 of which you know (if you were watching) he would have wanted back) played WELL. Really? Fact is, Wedgewood, who yes, can't be blamed for the entire trainwreck, did in fact NOT have a good game at all. He let in goals he usually stops, when he's on his game. I've complained all season we need consistency from our goalies. This was an example of what I meant. Only Ric Seiling had the guts to say, on air, that Wedgewood could have been a lot better. Donnie was silent.

the 2 on none mess that created the first goal was not his fault. But after that, he didn't stand tall. 5 goals on 22 shots is not a good night at the rink.
But lets not just single him out. There was Bailey...doing absolutely nothing. Olofsson, calmly missing the net with his usual regularity. The entire 'd' corps missing checks; making bad passes and being out of position all night long.

There was the undisciplined play that put us 2 men down...again. And this time both penalties were warranted. You can't do that. They almost got away with it...but alas, they didn't, with only 11 seconds left on the 2nd penalty. Then followed the back breakers. A 3rd goal near the end of the 2nd period (one which I believe Wedge could have saved) put us 2 down going into the 3rd. Instead of coming out hard and fast, the Marlies applied the crusher with a goal that also could have, should have been prevented. After that, Amerks mailed it in and the fans left the building.

Perhaps someone who was sitting at the other end saw better how or if Nylander tipped O'Regans shot. From our end it looked like the shot went directly in. I'm sure our boy with the man-crush on Nylander will tell us it was Alex's incredible skill that tipped that shot.

It was a miserable night at the hockey barn. With a chance to perhaps win back some casual fans, the team totally misfired. Worst home loss since opening night. A complete non-effort. the kind of game that has us all scratching our heads as to what kind of team this really is. Yes, a couple of players were re-entering the lineup (Wilson, Porter) but it shouldn't have resulted in all the rest of them taking the night off. A much better effort must happen this afternoon, or the Amerks will be looking at 4th or 5th place sooner than later. Crunch lost in a shootout, so Amerks still maintain a 1 point lead...but everyone else is closing fast.

the last time I left an Amerks game with over 6 minutes to play was game 6 of the Calder Cup Finals against Hartford...when I couldn't stomach the thought of watching them celebrate on our ice after that poorly officiated game.

In short (no, in frustratingly long) UGH

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Huge Crowd; Huge Fail;Huge Disappointment

Post by keithLGA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm

When they're bad, they're bad. Could Wedgewood have been better? Sure, but he had no help in front of him from the other 18 skaters. None. He earned the loss but I wouldn't single him out in a game like that.

We'll see what happens this afternoon. It's either the 2nd string of three straight losses in a month or a bounce back game. Flip a coin.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Note, I didn't single him out....but he was a contributor. I just get riled whenever 4 or 5 goals are scored on our goalies this season and ALWAYS its never their fault. They are portrayed like they just got a shutout. Its rarely ever ONLY the goalies fault, but rarely too is the goalie not to blame for at least some of them. Ric Seilng saw what most of us saw last night. A bad night for everyone, including Wedgewood.

I'm glad though that he's back in today. He often does have good bouncebacks.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:51 am

The Admirals also do this. It has gone on since 1994 and drives me crazy. They had 14,000 fans, or 10,000, or 6,000 and lose 5-2 at home.

My wife and I left after the second period on Saturday. We haven't done that in 10 years. She said it was an awful game and she was correct!
Two of the goals against the Admirals were scored from 10 feet. How is any goalie supposed to stop those?

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Good to see Colin Blackwell is back and playing! Three goals in two games in his return.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 pm

Blackwell was called up to Nashville to replace Ryan Johanson, who was suspended for 2 games.