Rochester Red Wings Thread

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Rochester Red Wings Thread

Post by insagt1 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:12 am

Its the offseason and many here actually do go to Wings games, so I thought we could have a running thread for anyone who wants to talk Wings baseball. OK?

I was told for months that I needed to use my Twitter account...to really get the baseball scoop. So I did. I haven't found it to be very informative when it comes to baseball comings and goings. Lots of cute pictures of kids, dogs, food and pedestrian 'reporting' about the score. But where is any critical comments; analysis; player transactions---things that baseball fans used to get on a daily basis. The Wings website is nothing more that one big ad for promos...game content is relegated to nothing more than a glorifed 'staff report'. (Joe Blow pitched 6 innings; Joe Doaks hit a HR; Mary Had a Little Lamb gets the save; Wings win. Ho freakin hum. On twitter nothing even close to being 'critical' is ever reported. Sammy Strikeout fans 4 times...oh, theres a picture of a kid and his dad eating icecream. Wings get a new player from Seattle...oops don't forget that we have fireworks and autograph signers coming up.

Clear to me that I'll probably never get what I want anymore concerning the games themselves. All we now get is everything is beautiful no matter what. Wings get crushed 11-2....but hey it was a beautiful day at the ballpark. Never mind the newspaper...nothing else seems to be doing the job of baseball reporting either. The closest thing in recent days was Kevin's column in 'Splinters'. We need Kevin and Matthews back to actually talk baseball...candidly.

thats my rant. You've heard it before. Feel free to contribute. And see you at the ballpark.

UncleBenny

Re: Rochester Red Wings Thread

Post by UncleBenny » Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 am

I don't have much to contribute other than to say that unfortunately that's what minor league baseball is to many, including myself. It's a reason to go outside and enjoy a nice day at the park. Of course I want the Red Wings to win, but if not, it certainly doesn't affect my post game mood like an Amerks or Knighthawks loss. Maybe it's because they play so many games, or maybe it's because I just have less general interest in baseball, but that's my two cents. We went Monday, good crowd, but of course, they lost.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am

A few years ago Bob Matthews was asking whether people now just go to the games for the chance to be outside, have a beer and a dog and take in the summer. the game itself was just window dressing. While it never used to be that way at all, it does seem to be the case now. Its certainly nothing I can change. I love the game first. But I also get that this is a business and you have to make money. Dan Mason knows how to get folks to get away from their TV's and get out to the ballpark. (of course he does now offer free WiFi so people are still totally tied to their technologies)

I still leave the park in a lesser good mood when they lose...and I still don't like the constant loud music that has totally hijacked all sports everywhere...but the games overall ARE fun. Still, I wish that the baseball aspect doesn't get so completely left behind nowadays.

Like the Amerks, a very nice winning season, with successful playoffs would return some of that again.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Thu May 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Same here in Buffalo.

The Bisons are red hot and are looking to join the Bills in ending their Playoff drought this year (they haven't made it to the Playoffs since 2005.)

But no one cares. The only thing about the people talk about when it comes to the Bisons are Star Wars Night, Mascot Racing etc....

There's a reason for that.

Minor league teams now more than ever have completely capitulated and their existence serves only as a tool of their MLB club. Games are basically practice. Players are an investment. Everyone is on a pitch count. The objective isnt winning. If you are one of the mutants who still support the team and they make the "playoffs"... you are rewarded with september call-ups that gut the roster.

One of the Blue Jays top prospects is Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Is he gonna play for Buffalo? Dobut it. He'll probably skip Buffalo and go right to Toronto.

I don't know what top prospects are in the Twins orginization but I doubt they'll play for Rochester.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu May 31, 2018 1:30 pm

I don't know about none of the prospects playing here, I don't even follow the Twins but just checking their roster I recognize plenty of names that came through Rochester first.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm

A few of the Twins top prospects sklpped rochester, to the ire of many dedicated baseball fans. Joe Mauer and Miguel Sano are two examples.They went from AA to the majors, bypassing AAA. Wings have benefitted from a few along the way...and statistically there is still a large number of major leaguers who have passed thru AAA.
But it is true...the big clubs now place a whole bunch of restrictions on their pitching prospects. Some are even on a pitch count for an inning. If they go over the limit, they are out.

anytime you devalue winning in any pro sport, you do it and the fans grave injustice. and look what Dave Andrews did to the AHL with the ridiculous pacific division. while I'm sure most of that nonsense was driven by the West Coast NHL bosses, I don't get the impression Andrews tried very hard to stop it. Now he tries to justify it every time it comes up. but the message was clear...winning, fairness, and competition have taken a backseat.

And once the promos are over...but the game isn't...figure out a gimmick to get it done....so put a runner on 2nd base to start every extra inning. Just hurry it along so the fans can go home. Its a different world ....

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:47 pm

I went to my first Wings game of the season last Saturday night! Hop Bitters night. Got a nice pint glass with the Rochester Hop Bitters logo and a nice New Era Fitted Cap,

Go Wings!
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:29 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm
A few of the Twins top prospects sklpped rochester, to the ire of many dedicated baseball fans. Joe Mauer and Miguel Sano are two examples.They went from AA to the majors, bypassing AAA. Wings have benefitted from a few along the way...and statistically there is still a large number of major leaguers who have passed thru AAA.
But it is true...the big clubs now place a whole bunch of restrictions on their pitching prospects. Some are even on a pitch count for an inning. If they go over the limit, they are out.

anytime you devalue winning in any pro sport, you do it and the fans grave injustice. and look what Dave Andrews did to the AHL with the ridiculous pacific division. while I'm sure most of that nonsense was driven by the West Coast NHL bosses, I don't get the impression Andrews tried very hard to stop it. Now he tries to justify it every time it comes up. but the message was clear...winning, fairness, and competition have taken a backseat.

And once the promos are over...but the game isn't...figure out a gimmick to get it done....so put a runner on 2nd base to start every extra inning. Just hurry it along so the fans can go home. Its a different world ....

Speaking of Dave Andrews he signed an extension today.

The American Hockey League announces David Andrews has agreed to terms on a contract extension that will see him continue to serve as President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Hockey League through June 2020.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu May 31, 2018 8:08 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 pm
and look what Dave Andrews did to the AHL with the ridiculous pacific division. while I'm sure most of that nonsense was driven by the West Coast NHL bosses, I don't get the impression Andrews tried very hard to stop it. Now he tries to justify it every time it comes up. but the message was clear...winning, fairness, and competition have taken a backseat.
I think former players turned coaches and assistant GM's have brought winning back to the AHL. Not every team is there yet but the tone has changed in the last 5 or so years to include winning along with development, not just development. I don't get the impression that many really care too much about the small difference in games.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 am

but that mentality trivializes what a stupid thing that is. Who has ever seen in any lifetime, a league with two different 'rules' regarding competition? If they want to persist in this...and now that the camels nose is in the tent...whats next?...those teams should not be eligible for post season. Its just not fair to the rest.
But they will continue to rationalize surely...somehow trying to convince us that its 'not so bad'. The principle is all messed up. But if you keep telling people that crap smells like roses long enough...people will start to believe it and even embrace it.

I don't know how hard Andrews tried to prevent this, but the fact he is trumpeting that everyone is fine with it doesn't wash with me. Its sheer nonsense and IMHO it diminishes the credibility of the league a notch. either they play 76 games or the rest of the league play 68....choose. But my goodness, to keep up this charade is completely wrong-headed...including the reasons WHY they are doing it.

I really wanted a new AHL president. Andrews needs to join another reprobate Bud Selig onto the golf course.