PSE buying the Knighthawks?

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
KidFlash

Re: PSE buying the Knighthawks?

Post by KidFlash » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 pm

bmb2jn wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 pm
KidFlash wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm
I mean, it's pretty obvious why they'd do it. I'm just worried that the Hawks would get stripped for parts and sent down the Thruway.
Could Buffalo support 2 NLL teams?

Oh, wait I think I get what you're saying now.
Yeah, sorry I wasn't too clear. I'm not talking about the team moving to Buffalo (although fans on the one NLL forum I'm on were worried about the team moving to Halifax), I was worried about the best Hawks heading to Buffalo.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:28 pm

The joke I saw was that the Bandits are hurting for a goalie so bad, they're buying the Hawks to get Vinc. Realistically though, you have to have some rule to prevent something like that from happening, right?

From what I've read, in their early years the MLS also had multi-team owners, I wonder how things worked there. Just seems like such a weird situation, and wouldn't it also introduce a little bit of doubt into any interaction between the teams?

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:25 pm

In the original XFL Vince McMahon owned all 8 teams

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm

bmb2jn wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:25 pm
In the original XFL Vince McMahon owned all 8 teams
Yep...and we all know how that worked out

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm

At one time one owner owned six MLS teams and that league has grown. The NLL commissioner was part of that as well. Maybe he knows what he's doing?

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 pm

I have also read things about the MLS being incredibly unstable and only surviving through bigger and bigger expansion fees for new teams. I am no expert, it just sounds like the MLS might not be as healthy as it appears, but you can't deny the growth either.

KidFlash

Post by KidFlash » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Eh. It should be pointed out that Sakiewicz didn't have the best track record in MLS. I've no idea how competent he was behind the scenes, but the teams were consistently bad on the field.

That said, MLS was so much its own thing, especially in the early days when Lamar Hunt and Phil Anschutz owned half the teams, that I'm wary using it as an example of how the Pegulas might run the Hawks.

If they *do* have crossover in the front office (an example from MLS I'm happy to make, since Hunt, Anschutz and Robert Kraft all had one GM looking after multiple teams at some point in league history), then I'd worry.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Interesting takes. I haven't read enough to know more than what I said. Perception paints a picture of success but we all know about perception.

KidFlash

Post by KidFlash » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 pm

There's a terrific MLS history written by Beau Dure called Long-Range Goals from 2010 which covers the league, explaining the single-entity structure and the effects of having an owner of multiple teams. It's worth seeking out if you're curious.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:27 pm

For anyone who cares/following this along here's three different interviews..

Jack Goods on The Sports Bar - https://espnrochester.radio.com/media/a ... jack-goods

Marisa Ingemi from Inside Lacross w/ Carl Falk - https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-Carl ... =web_share

VP John Catalano w/ Carl Falk - https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-Carl ... =web_share