What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

Post by keithLGA » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platfo ... ssion=true

Interesting material. Here's one of many parts that stands out..
“As I understand it, The News lost $250,000 worth of business with the Pegulas at one point. I heard it was Sabres programs. It came to my attention at the time,” says Sullivan, referencing Kim and Terry Pegula, the owners of the Bills and Sabres. “I recall one specific major staff meeting, not just sports but the whole department, one of the advertising people joked in front of the whole room about Sully costing us that money. I think there was a general understanding that itas negative sports writing that caused the Pegulas to pull that.”

KidFlash

Re: What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

Post by KidFlash » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm wary of Sullivan's agenda here. He came off as quite bitter in his reaction on Twitter, instead of just saying 'thanks for the memories' or something similar, it's tossing TBN under the bus.

Doesn't mean he had wrong info, it just adds a layer of skepticism that may or may not be justified.

Blue n Gold Forever

Re: What really happened: The Buffalo News loses half their sports staff in the span of a month

Post by Blue n Gold Forever » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Of all the departures that occurred - I'm most happy to see Sullivan gone. Gleason is a close second.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Blue n Gold Forever wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Of all the departures that occurred - I'm most happy to see Sullivan gone. Gleason is a close second.
Agreed.

But I'm disappointed that Harrington is staying. He is the worst.

@LaurneBrill5
Just sending a friendly reminder to my old buddy @ByMHarrington that he bullied me & tried to intimidate me from breaking stories b/c he was upset I kept beating him, while @ByTimGraham (who he attacked via text for being a “bully”) encouraged me, praised me and supported me.