Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Post by insagt1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm

The 10th inning of todays loss is the poster child of why this team is so unlikable. Wings cannot score runs. They just can't do it. And the manager has no imagination as to how to change that. When you get that gimmicky free runner on 2nd...and its a speedster like Buxton...you just have to get him home.
Instead, he gets to 3rd on a ground out and then the next two hitters strike out. Louisville gets it done quickly in the bottom of the inning as the Wings lose I believe their 7th straight extra inning game. Even the gimmick isn't helping their pathetic offense.

They are now 11 under .500 for the first time since 2011. And they are clearly one of the most unwatchable teams since then for sure. Nobody is doing anything. Watching guys like Pacheco just stand there as pitches cross the heart of the plate is maddening. Skinner does nothing to help these guys play better. When will the Twins cut Vargas?

this team is a total disgrace. Talk about mailing it in. They bought the stamps in April and filled the box every day thereafter. There is nothing good to say about this team.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Post by keithLGA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 am

Two months until the hockey season starts!

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am

and I can't wait!! Hope springs eternal that maybe this year is the year we are presented with a watchable, exciting team. I wasn't a huge fan of the job Taylor did last year, but I'm willing to give him another kick at the can. I still hope we can somehow get another vet goalie.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:28 am
and I can't wait!! Hope springs eternal that maybe this year is the year we are presented with a watchable, exciting team. I wasn't a huge fan of the job Taylor did last year, but I'm willing to give him another kick at the can. I still hope we can somehow get another vet goalie.
Goalies are set at Wedgewood and Wilcox.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:47 pm

still not too late to make changes though....trade, FA, injury ...could happen.
Steve--I am going to subject two of my visiting high school buddies to Red Wings torture tonite....weather permitting. We will get to see two horrible games (mostly) for the price of one horrible game!!
never let it be said I don't know how to take care of my friends!!! :D

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm

The 'K' Factor...didn't want to start a seperate thread for this, but its interesting.

Wings as a team have fanned 3rd fewest times in the league. So that should mean we don't strike out much....but we do. Its a very misleading stat that Josh W likes to use.
Since July 1, wings have fanned 197 times in 25 games (which means we averaged about 8 per game) Of those 197, 91 of them or 46% came from hitters 3-6...in other words the heart of the lineup. In those 25 games they exceeded the average..had 9 or more k's 11 times and the majority of them came from the heart of the lineup. 5 of those 11 times came July 1-7 when we had 2 major culprits Rupp and Carter in the lineup.

the fewest k's in a game during the month was 4 and 5..happening just one time each. Hitters 3-6 fanned at least 1 time all 25 games..the most common amount was 3-4. that's just not good when your key guys aren't making contact.

Moving on...if you subtract hits from the teams total AB's for season and look at how the outs were made 31% of our outs have been k's. The team with the most k's (Columbus) by comparison...37% of their outs are k's..yet they have one of the top BA's in the league...which means when they do make contact, they make it count.

Red Wings are dead last in almost every offensive category....by a lot. their .225 team BA is disgraceful. Runs scored and hits are league worst by a huge margin.

In other words, its all bad. But the k stats are interesting. Again, it isn't always how many that sinks a team, its by whom and when. Wings clearly don't have key hitters who make contact when it counts.
I rest my case

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:47 pm
still not too late to make changes though....trade, FA, injury ...could happen.
Steve--I am going to subject two of my visiting high school buddies to Red Wings torture tonite....weather permitting. We will get to see two horrible games (mostly) for the price of one horrible game!!
never let it be said I don't know how to take care of my friends!!! :D
Good luck...

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

I'm over the love affair with Minnesota. what have they done for us? 2-3 playoff appearances and one finals appearance? I think we've also had some of the worst seasons in franchise history. We lost 90+ a couple times in the last 5-10 years. Meanwhile, the Yankees & Phillies continue to put a winner on the field year after year. I get that the Mets system isn't great and all, but they just bought Syracuse. Do we know where Washington is moving their kids? I think we have what, 2 more years under this mess? sad.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:51 pm

I'm 50-50 about the Twins. there aren't too many available teams for us. Historically (since 1960) we have been primarily an American League city. The Mets have never been a serious suitor. don't know about the Nats next year.
Twins have given us real good teams, and real bad ones. Real good managers (Roof, Cliburn, Quade) and some duds (Nieto, Skinner) Gene Glynn falls in the middle.
We are the only AAA team that has had a winning record for the last 5 seasons...that will end this year. This season has been a perfect storm of everything going wrong. Every player the Twins got for us failed. The returning ones from last year failed. 32 and counting position players have suited up. No team chemistry and very poorly managed. Skinner's in game managing shows little to no imagination, or adapting to situations. We don't have the media to help us understand what goes on, but he appears to be a Minnesota mouth all the way.

Last night, with a chance to win a rare home game in the last inning and the leadoff man on, he let's the awful hitting Vargas swing away and he hits into his millionth DP of the season. You play to win..we needed one run, not two. Your hitter is in a month long slump. the entire left side was wide open. whats the matter with this guy? There are too many examples of his decisions which have not led to Wings being able to score runs. I won't blame him for sending Corsino in the 9th, trying to tie the game, because the odds of the Wings getting another 2 out hit were miniscule. (or...was he trying to just get the game over with? sinister perhaps, but not totally out of the question, with another game to be played....)

Twins have zero footprint in Rochester. but I don't know who would be better, at the moment.
And yes, two of the modern franchise's worst ever seasons came back to back under Tom Nieto...only a few years ago.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:32 am

Well it could be worse. You could be Bisons fans.

10 games under .500 with a month left to play in the season. About to be 13 years and counting without Playoffs. Just like the Bills.

Fortunately no one cares. Give us Star Wars night, mascot racing and a night out at the ballpark and everyone is happy.