Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
TheNatural

Re: Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Post by TheNatural » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am
If he does well, don't be surprised if he gets a cup of coffee at expanded roster time in Sept. Meantime, enjoy him.
He won't be.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm

He won't be what? I see he is tearing it up so far. Are you saying he'll be going up before Sept 1? (that wouldn't surprise me) Are more fans turning out just to see him? I hope he's still in buffalo when Bisons make their final trip to Rochester at the end of the month.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Red Wings are dead last in just about every offensive category. Their hit total is actually 85 less than the next worse team. the team BA is .225, which is pathetic. they have suited up 34 position players so far and 18 of them are or were hitting under .216 before they were let go.There are only 5 players on the current roster hitting above .216.
Our play by play guy likes to tell us that at least we don't strike out that much. while our totals are in the bottom half of the league, the key players destroy rallies with ill-timed k's every night.
among the worst offenders were/are: Lamarre one every 3.1 AB's; Austin 1 every 3.2; Ramsey 1 every 2.5; Kemmer 1 every 3.3; Buxton 1 every 2.8; Vargas 1 every 3.3 ; hazelbaker 1 every 2.5; Carter 1 every 2.8; Wilkins 1 every 3.2; Featherston 1 every 2.5; Rupp 11 every 2 (horrible) Wilson 1 every 3.0
the only hitters who don't specialize in k's are Graterol who has fanned only twice in 65 AB's (impressive) and Astudillo who has fanned 13 times in 249 AB's (and 13 is a high number for him) Petit only fans 1 in 5.5 and Gordon once in every 4.8.

But most those numbers indicate that every game they will k minimally once and if you are in the heart of the lineup, you are probably killing a rally (like Wilkins last night)

Its just flat out a poor team with nearly nothing going for it. We also have a faceless, emotionless manager

TheNatural

Post by TheNatural » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm
He won't be what? I see he is tearing it up so far. Are you saying he'll be going up before Sept 1? (that wouldn't surprise me) Are more fans turning out just to see him? I hope he's still in buffalo when Bisons make their final trip to Rochester at the end of the month.
He won't be in Toronto until mid-April next season at the earliest. It would be retarded of the Blue Jays to call him up before then because then they'll start his service clock and lose him to free agency a year earlier than they would if they wait until mid-April. Once the Triple-A season ends you have a better chance of him joining New Hampshire for the playoffs than you do of him joining the Blue Jays in September.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

That makes sense...so we'll see if they cave in to the demands of the fans....given that its a lost season for the Jays. The guy is such a talent, they may not hold him back.

TheNatural

Post by TheNatural » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm
....given that its a lost season for the Jays. The guy is such a talent, they may not hold him back.
This is exactly why they'd hold back. There is absolute ZERO long-term benefit to promoting him to appease the fans for a few games in September of a lost season.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm not sure what Joel Skinner does. Certainly doesn't manage to win. Another 2018 typical Wings game today. Trailing 3-1 in the 8th...first two men walk; Wings have 2 hits in the game. Does he call for the sacrifice to 1) get the two runners into scoring position and 2) break up the chance of a DP?
Nope. He lets the hitter flail away and he gets called out on strikes. Then, of course, the slow footed Astudillo grounds into a made to order DP and so much for the opportunity. In the 9th Vargas hits a solo Hr. And the really awful Wilkins strikes out to end the game for the second time in the series, with Wings down by 1 run.
With this incridibly poor hitting team, Skinner has no imagination at all. and with 20 games left, I don't think he particularly cares. I would really like to not see him back next year. He's a very poor fit to manage this team. Very unimpressed with his work this season.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Ted, Iike I have said AAA Baseball is all about development now. They care more about winning at AA now. I am not a fan of Skinner.....but he is just doing what he is being told to do by his bosses...the Twins management

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 am

still no excuse. quade was also an employee of the twins and he was a totally different manager. how about lehighs manager? development and winning both vital. we had it last few years...lost it this year. while the players must shoulder their blame, the leadership has been terrible this year. Invisible.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 am
still no excuse. quade was also an employee of the twins and he was a totally different manager. how about lehighs manager? development and winning both vital. we had it last few years...lost it this year. while the players must shoulder their blame, the leadership has been terrible this year. Invisible.
Quade was under a different Twins Farm Director. The new guy's are all about analytics