Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Good point Mark...sad but true. Analytics have their place but they are killing the 'game'. Mike Schmidt was interviewed on MLB channel this week and he pretty much said baseball is heading in the wrong direction...and mentioned an overload of useless analytics as one of the culprits.

Well...not for nothing but this year both the Twins and Wings are no good. Last year both were very good. Coincidence???

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Jayson Werth Talks 'Super Nerds' Ruining Baseball

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/08/08/jayso ... s-phillies

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Well, he's mostly right. I really don't think the real baseball fan cares about exit velocity, launch angle WAR and some of the other stuff that just clogs up the pages. Is baseball supposed to be a scientific game or a fun sport?

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Well...not for nothing but this year both the Twins and Wings are no good. Last year both were very good. Coincidence???
Maybe. But 2-3 years ago the Blue Jays were very good, while the Bisons couldn't get out of their own way.

What hockey13 said. Teams care more about winning on the AA level then the AAA level.

Frankly I want to see Minor League Baseball merge the two.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm not sure we can broad brush the idea that they want to win in AA and not in AAA. Surely there are examples of both in both levels.
You look at whats going on in Lehigh, Scranton, Indy, Columbus.....for example...those teams (and their fans) want to win. And while AAA often is a repository for minor league vets as well as prospects, the stats seem to indicate that a large number of major leaguers cycled thru AAA on their way up.
It can be an organizational mind-set too. As Mark pointed out to me--Mike Quade was managing here under different Twins hierarchy than Skinner. the difference is startling. I don't think its a coincidence that Rochester has had 5 straight winning seasons and this year they are total losers...and no one really seems to mind.

there really is a skill difference, especially pitching, between AA and AAA. I still think both are needed.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 am

Wings stay to the script in 2018. Right after a blowout win, they disappear totally the next game. Another game where a clutch hit was nowhere to be found. I don't want to hear what a good season Kennys Vargas is having. He can homer with his team ahead (or behind) by a dozen...but when a big hit is needed in a close game, he disappears. Every time. His stat line is among the most misleading, irrelevant in the league.

The highlight of last nights game was Todedo's little league homerun....a comedy of errors. And another reason the 2018 Red Wings rank among the very worst teams in the Twins Era.

schlag

Post by schlag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:47 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Well, he's mostly right. I really don't think the real baseball fan cares about exit velocity, launch angle WAR and some of the other stuff that just clogs up the pages. Is baseball supposed to be a scientific game or a fun sport?
as a Yankees fan, when Girardi was managing the games were completely unwatchable. every situation in a game they'd show him paralyzed by his binders of data. that $hi* got old especially when he went with the data and it blew up in his face. well he is just one example. there are a lot of binders in the dugouts nowadays.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 pm

When was the last time you were at a ballgame and someone hit it a mile and all you could hear was.....wow, did you see the launch angle of that one! Or, i''ll bet that had a real fast exit velocity!

Besides, never. Come on baseball....don't get too smart for your own good. You don't wear it well.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 am

Actually Ted...the "younger" generation does talk like that. In hockey now all they talk about is Analytics. In fact a lot of team now have a guy on staff whom specifically does Analytics. You can take a course on it.

https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.c ... -analytics

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 am

They have held a big hockey analytics conference at RIT the past couple years, I know people who have gone so it's not like no one is into this stuff. This years' just happened a couple weeks ago: https://www.rit.edu/science/moneypuck