Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Why Its So Easy to Hate This Year's Red Wings

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 am

Mark---well at the baseball games, I don't hear it at all. Ever. Most the 'young fans' aren't even watching the games actually. They are just 'there'. Perhaps its catching on in hockey, but I truly hope it dies a violent death in baseball, when they realize it isn't making 'the game' better. Why is all this stuff necessary really?
Is this going to be a bargaining chip for a player's salary negotiations? Hey Mr Owner, my homeruns have an exit velocity faster than my teammate. Or, have you noticed my launch angle when I hit the ball. That has to be worth at least a few Mil more. God, help us all if sport turns into this.,

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Its interesting that so many former (and current) players have been weighing in on the overuse of analytics. Instant replay as well. Baseball has to be careful that technology doesn't over-reach the game itself, turning it into a computer game rather than a sport. I'm not sure how a lot of this enhances the enjoyment of the game, when attending live. Too much tinkering can have detrimental results.

what seems to bother the fans the most is some of the wasted time that goes on during the games, (In the NFL its the never ending parade of commercials and time-outs, making it nearly unwatchable sometimes) You don't need analytics to know that 2 or three pitcher changes in an inning will put most fans to sleep. do they really need 8 warm-up pitches?
the minors have instituted a reasonable pitch clock, which for the most part hasn't been an issue at all. the automatic ball or strike has been called rarely.
they also are in love with the extra inning gimmick....and it has fulfilled its purpose in their mind...over 75% of all extra inning games are completed in either the 1st or 2nd inning.
they have also shortened the time allowed between innings.

Baseball is a fun game. And it also lends itself to stats galore. But too much of a 'good thing' turns the game mechanical.

The shift being used for nearly all left handed hitters now is troublesome to me. And I don't know how to fix that.

Oh well. Baseball is destroying the old french adage 'ca plus change, ca le meme chose' (look it up mes amis)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:07 am

Wings are no longer the worst home team in minor league baseball. Iowa and Sacramento in the PCL have slightly worse records. So, thats progress!
If weather holds out, Wings also won't suffer the indignity of having their worst ever attendance at Frontier Field. They are probably around 40K shy of the 414,000 mark (paid), which is their worst. They should be able to chop around 7K or so off that total tonite.

With the release of Taylor Motter yesterday, that marks the 10th player released by the Wings in-season this year. That has to be a record. They are 13 under .500 for the first time since the end of 2011. Nice job Mr Skinner...you have achieved Nieto status in my book. I hope the Twins find a new job for him in 2019. He's a terrible fit here. A decent amount of accountability for the teams' poor performance has to be laid at his feet. He has been very unimpressive and pretty much invisible. Its clear, at least to me, he is a Twins guy thru and thru and winning in Rochester was not part of his agenda. He seems to have forgotten that development AND winning go hand in glove. Quade got it. He didn't.

I'm sure Mason and Silver will say all the 'right' things about him publicly...but I hope behind the scenes they won't be afraid to suggest a change. Skinner has been as quiet as Gentle Ben was as coach of the Amerks. I think most Wings fans who post here agree.