It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
User avatar
keithLGA
Site Admin
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 am

It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by keithLGA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

It's been 10 years since a group of us sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner and talked about the team, affiliation and where the team was at. Not much changed since then in terms of what was wanted, veteran leadership and the desire to win.

Here's a question, if Steve had taken the pile of cash vs selling to Curt Styres would anything have really changed? Or would we have had more years of dual affiliations and misery? At least the Panthers and Styres brought us one exciting season.

Here's what I wrote back then...

http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2008/08/18/ ... americans/

insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:48 pm

10 yrs goes by fast, but wasn't that the year they tried to tell us that Peggy Sue was going to be our #1 great goalie? (and didn't all of us groan together)

User avatar
keithLGA
Site Admin
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 am

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by keithLGA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm

hahah Peggy Sue was the 'diamond in the rough' that was going to have a break ouot year!

TheNatural
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by TheNatural » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Becky Sue. Jeff Shantz. Richard Brodeur.

What a great trio of goalies.

insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm not sure that there has been a worse goalie who donned the pads for the Amerks based on the number of games he played. he made Markus Ketterer look like Martin Brodeur. A complete and total trainwreck.

User avatar
oldtimehockey
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:41 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm
I'm not sure that there has been a worse goalie who donned the pads for the Amerks based on the number of games he played. he made Markus Ketterer look like Martin Brodeur. A complete and total trainwreck.
In all my decades of watching Amerk hockey, he was by far one of the worst.

User avatar
Dubblenikle
Posts: 2649
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 am

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by Dubblenikle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 pm

TheNatural wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm
Becky Sue. Jeff Shantz. Richard Brodeur.

What a great trio of goalies.
Becky-Sue, David Shantz, Mike Brodeur and Tyler Plante that year. Brodeur had a decent run at the end of the season then bailed for Bingo the next year? Here is his line from that year with us and then with Bingo.

38 GP, 18-13-4, 2.45 GAA, .921 SV%. Not awful. His next year with Bingo he kind of fell apart.

36 GP, 13-12-2, 3.06 GAA, .899 SV%. After that the most games he played in a season was 9. Mostly in the E.

Becky-Sue was a friggin train wreck. 3-14-1, 3.94 & .868. Holy hell that's awful. He and Connor Knapp. Barf! We still have Kasdorf hanging around too. Another guy that needs to stay in the E.

User avatar
oldtimehockey
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Dubblenikle wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 pm
TheNatural wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm
Becky Sue. Jeff Shantz. Richard Brodeur.

What a great trio of goalies.
Becky-Sue, David Shantz, Mike Brodeur and Tyler Plante that year. Brodeur had a decent run at the end of the season then bailed for Bingo the next year? Here is his line from that year with us and then with Bingo.

38 GP, 18-13-4, 2.45 GAA, .921 SV%. Not awful. His next year with Bingo he kind of fell apart.

36 GP, 13-12-2, 3.06 GAA, .899 SV%. After that the most games he played in a season was 9. Mostly in the E.

Becky-Sue was a friggin train wreck. 3-14-1, 3.94 & .868. Holy hell that's awful. He and Connor Knapp. Barf! We still have Kasdorf hanging around too. Another guy that needs to stay in the E.
How did he ever win3 games?

insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:15 pm

tack on 4 more losses for his second season...3-18-1. When you look at his GAA, based on how bad he was, 3.94 doesn't seem that horrible. Seemed like he was averaging 4 and 5 per game. But 3.94 won't let you keep a job in the AHL anymore...unless its for a mop up game or two. And save % that much under .900 means you can't stop anything. That diamond in the rough was in a class all by himself.

User avatar
Bluey
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: It's been 10 years since we sat in the locker room w/ Steve Donner

Post by Bluey » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 pm

It's flabbergasting to note that Becky Sue won a Kelly Cup with the Alaska Aces as their #1 goalie. How in blazes did that happen?
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

Post Reply