I.L. vs PCL

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

I.L. vs PCL

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am

Pretty soon we won't have baseball stuff to talk about (thankfully this season) so I was reflecting on why so much went wrong this year for the Red Wings.
Historically it seems like when the Twins go after decent players in the PCL, they don't do well in the I.L.
Our league is not a hitters league, whereas the PCL definitely is.
Wings team BA is an incredibly terrible .225. The worst team BA in the PCL is Iowa's .247. Then the next worse team is .257. Salt Lake leads the league with a .290 BA. Indy leads our league with .273. At this late stage, thats a significant difference.
Our league has only ONE player who has hit at least 20 HR's. (22 to be exact) The PCL has 9. Our league's RBI leader has 76. PCL has 8 players with more than that, and their leader has 98.
the IL has 5 hitters over .300. the PCL has 20!

So in perspective Kennys Vargas 16 HR's puts him tied for 10th in the top 10 IL HR hitters. His RBI total places him 12th (among players who have at least 2.7 PA"s per their team's games played. He also places 7th in total k's. His BA is by far the lowest among his HR and RBI peers. His stats are why stats cannot tell the accurate story. Most his HR's have been irrelevant as are his RBI. When the Wings needed a clutch hit in a key spot, Vargas usually came thru with a 'k' or a GIDP. guess what I continue to say is that for the most part, his season here has been worthless, even though some might think his numbers say otherwise.

While Vargas doesn't come from the PCL...some of these league comparisons also seem to validate somewhat why PCL hitters come over to this league and fall flat. buss was a big example of that this season.

Wings have 20 games left. they are in a 4 team 'dogfight' for the IL basement...along with Syracuse, Charlotte and Louisville. Only a couple games separate the 4 teams. Wings are 10-20 over the past month...a month that removed them from a possible playoff contender to a bottom feeder.

Hopefully all the players the Twins are accumulating from the firesale trades will eventually improve both the Wings and the big club. They also need to find a more dynamic manager for the Wings. The current one is a ghost. Unlike Mike Quade, Skinner is a total Twins mouthpiece all the way. I'm not sure he would even want to come back here next year.

Dubblenikle

Re: I.L. vs PCL

Post by Dubblenikle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Its weird. It always seems to be that way. PCL is a hitters league, IL a pitchers league. Maybe we have bigger parks? I know Frontier is a pitchers park. I wonder if Minny just scouts the PCL because geographically its closer for them. Especially for guys that are just minor leaguers. They probably aren't sending someone to watch in Gwinett. That may be why.

TheNatural

Post by TheNatural » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:52 am

Dubblenikle wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Its weird. It always seems to be that way. PCL is a hitters league, IL a pitchers league. Maybe we have bigger parks? I know Frontier is a pitchers park. I wonder if Minny just scouts the PCL because geographically its closer for them. Especially for guys that are just minor leaguers. They probably aren't sending someone to watch in Gwinett. That may be why.
The weather and the field conditions in the PCL are generally considered to be why offensive numbers in that league are so much more favorable for hitters.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 am

The weather definitely. I think the IL should start in May and end Oct 1. That will never happen, mostly because of the expansion of the MLB rosters on Sept 1. But if it were possible, I believe even with school starting, the Wings would draw a ton more fans in September, than in April.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:57 pm

I think traditionally the IL has been the stronger league. I'm not sure if that's the case so much anymore. Perhaps the pitching is generally stronger, uncovering weaknesses that were hidden in the PCL.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Many hitters who owned the PCL have come to the IL and have not fared well. We had their 2017 batting champ this year...Nick Buss...he was gone before the All Star break...hitting around .240