Fearless Prediction for the Amerks Season

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Fearless Prediction for the Amerks Season

Post by insagt1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 pm

A few of us hardcore boardies enjoyed a weekend together at a very nice wedding on Seneca Lake. Wonderful event. Lots of fun and wow was it ever hot!!!!
During the festivities, Tom, of 'Banners' fame....boldly predicted a Calder Cup for our Amerks in 2018-19. RWB, not quite as optimistic but agreed this was going to be a good team. The rest of us had another beer or glass of wine and tried to hop on the bandwagon. We determined that if indeed the team hoists the Cup, we will all meet again at the Winery for a celebration....the likes of which will rival World Series Ticker Tape Parades! :lol: :lol:

Clearly our 'd' looks very strong; our goaltending is a ? but could be adequate. Don't know where the goals will come from (isn't that a perpetual problem?) but maybe a few of the prospects/vets will all have career years together and help the kids coming up. Sabres look to be much improved so maybe it will trickle down to Rochester.

How does everyone else feel? Might this finally be the year for that long playoff run? Now that the very disappointing Red Wings are done, can we put them aside and throw all of our support and optimism on the Crest?

Hope so.
(once again to the wedding party and guests.....great show...great time!)

oldtimehockey

Re: Fearless Prediction for the Amerks Season

Post by oldtimehockey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 am

Great time Sunday! Yes, it was hot , but still enjoyable.
I'll not predict a cup, so I'm not planning a trip back to the winery quite yet, but I will say they'll go further in the playoffs this year.

I think 'D' and goal tending will be strong...not sure on the offense. We'll see how it shakes out fairly soon....

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:04 am

I don't make predictions anymore. I'm at the point ...show me. I'll believe it (and enjoy it) when I see it.

Still trying to figure out where the goals are coming from. I have never been one to rely on "potential".
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:32 am

I don't know enough about these guys we signed to know either way, if people around here are saying get on the bandwagon because we'll be good, then I'm going with that. Calder Cup run? Kind of hard for me to set myself up for that kind of disappointment, but I don't go to the games to see them lose either. I just hope you guys are correct.

Anyone have any news on possible changes happening with PSE taking over? I had a brief conversation with an old coworker of mine yesterday at Frontier Field who ushers at the BCA, he said they are all back for at least one season, some of the other employees are back while some will be new. He didn't expect the food to change much other than maybe rising prices, it just seems like we shouldn't expect any sweeping changes immediately.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 am

My biggest concern is goal scoring as well. It has been like forever since we have had some exciting offensive players. That really needs to change.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:55 am

Last year we couldn't have predicted Colin Blackwell, Sahir Gill and CJ Smith would have seasons like they did. Because of that I'll remain optimistic and see what happens. Goaltending will be a question. Again optimistic because I trust more in Randy Sexton than anyone else prior but still an unknown. He's had one great season and that was three seasons ago.

RWB

Post by RWB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:01 am

I’d rather have balanced scoring anyway, versus one or two players that carry the offense. There’s way more talent than last year, and last year they finished 11th in the league in scoring.

Olofsson led the SHL in goals and has an incredible shot. Porter and Criscuolo can produce offensively. Tage Thompson is a top prospect if he gets sent down. Oglevie should produce similar to CJ Smith last year. Asplund has skill. Simpson is better than Gill in my mind. Sexton said they’re looking for another offensive center, which would help. But the scoring is there.

TheNatural

Post by TheNatural » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:33 am

Predictions are as follows:
-Team gets off to okay start
-Team goes into massive slump
-Crotchety old people complain that team isn't good
-Aforementioned crotchety old people complain that AHL is about development and not about winning anymore
-Same group of people whines that the Western Conference plays fewer games
-Same group complains about Pegula, the Sabres, idiot Sabres fans, Alexander Nylander, and Erica Whyte
-Amerks miss playoffs

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:36 am

lets see....as one of the 'old' (but not crotchety) persons:
Anyone can complain about the team not being good....(it has been over 20 years since the last Cup...its justified) But we ARE optimistic this year.
Its true that SOME organizations favor development over winning. Its a fact. I hope we're not one of those.
I'm very guilty about the West playing fewer games. Its just plain stupid and unprecedented in pro sport. I see zero value in it. I'll always complain about it until someone with a brain and some balls, fixes it.
I'm not into bashing Pegula, or Sabres fans, or Erica Whyte(?) Who is bashing her and why? Nylander? Yeah, he deserves criticism. Until he proves otherwise, he'll be under the microscope.
Amerks miss playoffs? Sure hope not. Not wishing for it. Why would a season ticket holder want the team to fail?

I think there is an air of optimism this year that hasn't been sensed in quite awhile. Are there still issues? Of course. but SAbres and Amerks brass have not sat on their hands this offseason. they have been pro-active. Thats good.

As a postscript to this: I don't know of any Amerk fan who followed the team regularly last year who felt the playoff run was worth a darn. We got there because of the loser point and we flamed out quickly because our goalie failed badly. It was not a good team...but the Sabres were building. We appreciate that. This will be a better year.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Is Wedgewood healed? Will the shoulder act up? If so, can Wilcox tow the load? Can Johansson be an AHL back up? The D is loaded. The offense will be by committee. I'm optimistic about Olofsson. He scored goals in an actual adult professional league, not juniors or NCAA. Does that translate? We will see. I think guys like him will have to snipe. Tage Thompson was a beast in the prospects tourney, but he had a full pro season and half of that in the NHL. He should have dominated. But he is a big boy and he definitely seems like a shoot first guy. One that has 25 goals and 20 assists. It will be interesting to see what happens. Luckily for the Amerks, JB is a developer. If this was Tim Murray he'd have traded Beaulieu and Larsson for a bag of pucks so he could force Guhle & Thompson into the sabres lineup as soon as possible. I think with JB, it has to be earned. At least more so than it was for GMTM. A lot has to happen for them to make the sabres. So at least to start, we will probably have both.