New scoreboard, restaurant Knighthawks news and more

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

New scoreboard, restaurant Knighthawks news and more

Post by keithLGA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Here's what was mentioned at the Knighthawks press conference today..

http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2018/09/13/ ... rena-news/

insagt1

Re: New scoreboard, restaurant Knighthawks news and more

Post by insagt1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 pm

More than one person who attends functions at the BCA has commented on the extremely uncomfortable seating arrangement. The chairs are old, and for many too small...and there are many many rows where there is virtually little to NO legroom. I had seats in the horseshoe once..lower section and the aisle seat had zero legroom. I don't know how they could sell that seat in good conscience. The whole seating bowl needs to be redone....as long as the BCA is here to stay. Right now, its pretty bad.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:24 am

Agreed on the seating bowl, not only is the legroom an issue just general shoulder space is incredibly limited. I'd love to see them remove one seat from each row, in the lower bowl at least, to add another inch or two of space for all the others. Would actually bring the max capacity down slightly which isn't the worst thing in the world, and would make it much more comfortable.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am

Don't know why the folks in charge of all this are not taking this into consideration. Maybe because it would cost too much? Nevertheless, its a problem..someone with some clout needs to talk to whoever has the $$$ and take them around the seating bowl and demonstrate how terrible it is.

Rochester always runs out of money, or shortchanges big projects. If hockey were the only thing that plays there, I could see it...but the building is used for multiple events.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm

I've had more than enough hints shared that a lot is being kept secret until the Pegulas have a long term agreement after January 1st. Seems sort of odd because it shouldn't really matter but I suspect once the long term agreement is in place we're going to get a lot of news about the future. Right now for likely legal reasons it's all being kept secret.

sloheim

Post by sloheim » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Any news that does not include the phrase "new building" is irrelevant to me.

RWB

Post by RWB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm

I truly don’t get the new arena obsession. I just don’t. And to not even see what the Pegulas have planned?

Where does the new arena go? Who pays for it? How much will it cause ticket prices and concession prices to rise?

shedthemitts

Post by shedthemitts » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 am

Anyone who is seriously clamoring for a new arena in Rochester, NY is completely detached from reality.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 am

A new arena would be nice but it is not completely necessary in my mind. The BCA is in the perfect location right now, unless a new arena was going to be built in the same spot or directly across the street, I wouldn't be a huge fan. Over by Frontier in one of those parking lots is "fine" but it is not as good as being directly downtown like the BCA.

Like has already been said, the biggest issue after the audio and video systems get upgraded is probably the seating bowl, and that can be fixed with some money. I guess the ceiling height is the next big thing, not sure if that can or will ever be fixed though.

Also happy to hear that bigger announcements are being hinted at. As much as I am not a huge fan of the Pegulas taking over the new Knighthawks franchise, at least now they have enough stake in Rochester sports to spend some money here. While I liked him as an owner/GM, Styres was never going to invest that kind of money here. There already a ton of development momentum downtown in Rochester right now, investment from people like the Pegulas will only accelerate that. It will also be interesting to see how the area gets utilized once the Roc the Riverway stuff gets moving, I don't really agree with the plan to turn the Broad St bridge into a park, but I hope it turns out to be successful.

RWB

Post by RWB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am

The new arena crowd can never answer any of the most basic questions. It’s just the constant trumpeting without even putting thought into it. The arena will stay downtown no matter what. Where does it go? Tear it down and re-build? Sorry, no. I’m not sacrificing an entire season to Buffalo so they can build a new arena. Who pays for it? It’s clear the Pegulas have no interest. And the city certainly has no money. Good luck prying $100+ million from the state. Not happening. Even if that did happen, ticket prices would rise. There would be surcharges to pay for the taxpayer money that went into it. Concession prices rise across the board. For what? So a few extra concerts come to town every year?

New arenas are boring. They all look similar. Maybe it’s me, but I like older arenas. They’re usually unique in their own way. People point to the Giant Center in Hershey. I can’t stand that place. Sterile, nothing at all unique. Boring.

A few things bs absolutely need to be done with be arena, and they’re doing it. New scoreboard, upgraded audio visual, bathrooms fixed and an expansion that should include new concessions and probably a restaurant and bar. And if Keith is correct, likely a lot more to come.

Also the arena is right where the Roc the Riverway development is. I personally like the idea of removing traffic from the bridge and rewatering it. I can see a large street party before and after games with food trucks, beer trucks, bands and kids activities. For those who have been to TB for a game, they have something similar. It would have to be in the fall and spring, but in the winter you could have winter activities, ice skating etc.

When you think it through, I really don’t see how a new arena is the way to go. And no one can ever really give me a reason other than it will draw bigger events that I likely won’t care about.