New scoreboard, restaurant Knighthawks news and more

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
shedthemitts

Re: New scoreboard, restaurant Knighthawks news and more

Post by shedthemitts » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 pm

RWB wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am
The new arena crowd can never answer any of the most basic questions. It’s just the constant trumpeting without even putting thought into it. The arena will stay downtown no matter what. Where does it go? Tear it down and re-build? Sorry, no. I’m not sacrificing an entire season to Buffalo so they can build a new arena. Who pays for it? It’s clear the Pegulas have no interest. And the city certainly has no money. Good luck prying $100+ million from the state. Not happening. Even if that did happen, ticket prices would rise. There would be surcharges to pay for the taxpayer money that went into it. Concession prices rise across the board. For what? So a few extra concerts come to town every year?

New arenas are boring. They all look similar. Maybe it’s me, but I like older arenas. They’re usually unique in their own way. People point to the Giant Center in Hershey. I can’t stand that place. Sterile, nothing at all unique. Boring.

A few things bs absolutely need to be done with be arena, and they’re doing it. New scoreboard, upgraded audio visual, bathrooms fixed and an expansion that should include new concessions and probably a restaurant and bar. And if Keith is correct, likely a lot more to come.

Also the arena is right where the Roc the Riverway development is. I personally like the idea of removing traffic from the bridge and rewatering it. I can see a large street party before and after games with food trucks, beer trucks, bands and kids activities. For those who have been to TB for a game, they have something similar. It would have to be in the fall and spring, but in the winter you could have winter activities, ice skating etc.

When you think it through, I really don’t see how a new arena is the way to go. And no one can ever really give me a reason other than it will draw bigger events that I likely won’t care about.
This.

Couldn't have even come close to summing it up better myself.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 pm

hockey13 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:08 am
The reason they can't open up the ground floor concession stand is that is where youth hockey sits to get dressed & undressed for when they play hockey between intermissions. They set up chairs right in front of it.
I've thought the Exchange St expansion was a silly idea but by expanding the locker rooms it creates an area for intermission teams. Then maybe it means opening up that other lower concession stand to make that area usable!

sloheim

Post by sloheim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:16 pm

RWB wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am
Same with the acoustics. At the very least, wait and see if the upgrades improve the situation.
The sound system has been upgraded at least 5 times since the 1998 renovation. There isn't anything magical that this one will fix that the last 5 couldn't. The construction of the building just leads to nasty acoustics.

Sitting in the top row along center ice, its literally impossible to understand most of what is coming out of the speakers. The arena tries to fix this by turning the volume up louder, which just exacerbates the problem, because now I can't talk to the person next to me OR understand the speakers.
The city is not evaluating a new arena. I think they were asked and said pretty clearly that it’s not on their radar, nor should it be when the Pegulas seem to be interested in investing private money into the current arena.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree.

Here's my conspiracy theory. Not really thought out, but just came to me. The Pegulas want a new football arena for the Bills (New Era Field is 45 years old), and aren't taking a new hockey arena off the table (KeyBank center is only 22 years old). They probably figure they can dump $20M of their own money into our shitty 63 year old arena, get Rochester off of the state's radar for "entertainment venue spending", and try to get the state to direct more funds their way. The more I think about it.. hmmm.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:42 pm

RWB wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am
The new arena crowd can never answer any of the most basic questions. It’s just the constant trumpeting without even putting thought into it. The arena will stay downtown no matter what. Where does it go? Tear it down and re-build? Sorry, no. I’m not sacrificing an entire season to Buffalo so they can build a new arena. Who pays for it? It’s clear the Pegulas have no interest. And the city certainly has no money. Good luck prying $100+ million from the state. Not happening. Even if that did happen, ticket prices would rise. There would be surcharges to pay for the taxpayer money that went into it. Concession prices rise across the board. For what? So a few extra concerts come to town every year?

New arenas are boring. They all look similar. Maybe it’s me, but I like older arenas. They’re usually unique in their own way. People point to the Giant Center in Hershey. I can’t stand that place. Sterile, nothing at all unique. Boring.

A few things bs absolutely need to be done with be arena, and they’re doing it. New scoreboard, upgraded audio visual, bathrooms fixed and an expansion that should include new concessions and probably a restaurant and bar. And if Keith is correct, likely a lot more to come.

Also the arena is right where the Roc the Riverway development is. I personally like the idea of removing traffic from the bridge and rewatering it. I can see a large street party before and after games with food trucks, beer trucks, bands and kids activities. For those who have been to TB for a game, they have something similar. It would have to be in the fall and spring, but in the winter you could have winter activities, ice skating etc.

When you think it through, I really don’t see how a new arena is the way to go. And no one can ever really give me a reason other than it will draw bigger events that I likely won’t care about.
I agree with RWB. This is what happened in Milwaukee. The team went back to the old arena and there were $6M in upgrades. The team paid for 1/3.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

sloheim wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:16 pm
RWB wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am
Same with the acoustics. At the very least, wait and see if the upgrades improve the situation.
The sound system has been upgraded at least 5 times since the 1998 renovation. There isn't anything magical that this one will fix that the last 5 couldn't. The construction of the building just leads to nasty acoustics.

Sitting in the top row along center ice, its literally impossible to understand most of what is coming out of the speakers. The arena tries to fix this by turning the volume up louder, which just exacerbates the problem, because now I can't talk to the person next to me OR understand the speakers.
The city is not evaluating a new arena. I think they were asked and said pretty clearly that it’s not on their radar, nor should it be when the Pegulas seem to be interested in investing private money into the current arena.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree.

Here's my conspiracy theory. Not really thought out, but just came to me. The Pegulas want a new football arena for the Bills (New Era Field is 45 years old), and aren't taking a new hockey arena off the table (KeyBank center is only 22 years old). They probably figure they can dump $20M of their own money into our shitty 63 year old arena, get Rochester off of the state's radar for "entertainment venue spending", and try to get the state to direct more funds their way. The more I think about it.. hmmm.
I agree with the thoughts on the sound. Can't hear squat of the announcements up high...but turning up the sound is NOT the solution because now you have the worst of both worlds. However, with all of todays technology, you'd think somebody could come with some kind of sound system that works better in a cavernous building. My thoughts on this is at the end of the day they really don't care. Just crank up all the dials to '10'...make it sickeningly loud and too bad. The 'default' is loud. And thats that. the loud music trumps the announcements every time. Heck, they rarely announce a goal being scored until 3 or 4 minutes later, or worse, anyway.