Durham Bulls Win 2nd Straight Governor's Cup

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Durham Bulls Win 2nd Straight Governor's Cup

Post by insagt1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:33 pm

With a 6-2 win in the winner take all game 5, Durham secured their 2nd straight Governor's Cup. The game was watched by 3,277....the largest crowd of the series....the other games drew a couple of 1,700 crowds and a couple of low 2,000's crowds. IE, the attendance for this series was crap.

And its a shame that the IL Championship has been watered down and devalued so much as to be mostly irrelevant. Who gets the blame for this? Is it MLB who dictates everything and doesn't care about competition in the minors? Or is it the IL itself who has made the playoffs irrelevant by having 2 hastily played best of 5 series to decide the league Champs? No baseball, hockey or basketball Finals at any level should be anything except a 7 game series. For as long as I have been alive, the majors call up players on Sept 1st....which has always had an impact on the farm teams. However, they playoffs were still relevant and the fans turned out to watch. They even had junior world series matches for many years.
Red Wings fans from yesteryear remember fondly the great 1971 Series against Denver...where all 7 games were played in Rochester and the Wings won it all by winning game 7.

It was fun and meaningful. Now the league has bogus divisions; a silly playoff system and two short, afterthought series that they try to get over with as soon as humanly possible.

This clearly shows how pro baseball has changed over the years. When you make the post season unimportant you rob both players and fans of something special. Its a shame that this has happened to minor league baseball...but thats just the way it is.

BAck to the Bulls...they haven't been in the league all that long and its their 6 Governor's Cup. They are a well managed, well focused. and clearly directed team that has winning as one of its major components. They know how its done and they do it nearly every year. Red Wings have gone in fits and starts but over the past 20 years haven't accomplished very much. This years team was one of the worst....statistically and in the standings. They were managed by a 'corporate suit' who was just putting in his time here and had zero impact on the team or the city. He needs to be replaced. Twins probably won't do it, but they should. Will the Wings brass HAVE the brass to tell the Twins the truth about the job Skinner didn't do this year....or will they wimp out. The team was terrible...leadership played a major role in that.

RWB

Re: Durham Bulls Win 2nd Straight Governor's Cup

Post by RWB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am

It’s sad but no one cares about AAA playoffs. It’s an afterthought. It’s why the Wings are mostly just a nice day/night out for me. They have devalued the playoffs about as much as possible.

Say what you want about the AHL, but the playoffs matte and they are treated seriously.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:34 pm

RWB wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am
It’s sad but no one cares about AAA playoffs. It’s an afterthought. It’s why the Wings are mostly just a nice day/night out for me. They have devalued the playoffs about as much as possible.

Say what you want about the AHL, but the playoffs matte and they are treated seriously.
Agreed...nobody cares about minor league baseball anymore. Hockey has the best playoffs in any sport IMO

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Winning the Calder Cup still means something for sure...just look at the pictures and clips of the winners. Says it all. Too bad there will always be those certain NHL 'fans' who think that nothing else matters but the NHL. They're wrong, and terribly misguided. However I will still say (to the dismay of at least one poster here for sure) that the AHL MUST fix this stupid schedule. Its not rocket science. You have a league..a league plays a schedule of games....same number for every team. We have travel today that allows for teams to get everywhere in a reasonable amount of time. The AHL is wrong to allow this. The NHL is wrong to have forced it. I don't care that Ontario is getting the allstar weekend...I don't recognize that division.

Red Wings attendance has been fairly steady throughout the years, especially at Frontier Field. Fans actually do like their baseball...just probably not as passionate as in the past for reasons we have discussed a lot. But I will reject a blanket statement that 'nobody cares about minor league baseball anymore'. thats just not accurate and Mark, I don't think thats really what you mean. It has its place...and MLB has helped destroy the playoffs...and that genie is out of the bottle.

But people still enjoy baseball....as well as the whole night out factor in the summer.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am

6 titles, 12 championship appearances since joining the IL in 1998. We have 0 titles in that span and what? 2 maybe 3 appearances in that time? 4-5 years with Baltimore where were the dump off for guys they didn't want while Bowie was always good. And now 15 with the twins. The IL kind of sucks. Seems its Scranton, LHV, & Durham in the finals every year. Big lack of parity I think. There was a period the Bisons were there instead of LHV. But still.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 pm

and its not like the Rays are THAT good...but they seem to keep their talent pretty strong at the AAA level. Hard to figure. Yankees have pretty much always been strong at AAA. Orioles used to be...not anymore. Twins are up and down. since we have been with them we have had zero playoff success but a few decent players/teams. We got jobbed the last two years...only team in IL history to win 80 games in consecutive years and not make post season.
Wings success also seems to be tied in pretty closely with having good managers. Coincidence? Probably not after 15 years. Phil Roof was a good manager and his teams peformed well. Quade was a very good manager and his teams were very good. Tom Nieto was an awful manager and despite reasonable talent brought us two of the franchise's worst teams ever. Skinner was a poor manager and this year's team was a total mess...despite leading the league in ERA and having decent talent...that totally underperformed. management played a role in that.
Last edited by insagt1 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNatural

Post by TheNatural » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 am

Unsure what the White Sox have to do with this thread? The Rays are the Bulls' AAA team, not the White Sox.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Yes I know, I corrected my post. Don't know what I was thinking. My bad.