Checkers at Amerks Oct 5 BCA

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Checkers at Amerks Oct 5 BCA

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:10 am

How do we feel about the opener? Its upon us at last. Wish we could say we are expecting a large crowd and a festive atmosphere at the old hockey barn...but thats not likely,due to a complete lack of promotion.

Nevertheless...will we win? Will this team play much better at home? Will they win more OT/SO games than last year? Will our goalies step up? Will we see the new team toughness? Who will emerge this season (barring injuries) as our goal scorers?

I say---we win tomorrow. Probably in front of one of our smaller opening night crowds ever. (hope I'm right on the former and totally wrong on the latter)

oldtimehockey

Re: Checkers at Amerks Oct 5 BCA

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 am

The Amerk front office is one of the worst in the league. This game has been promoted nowhere. I have seen no ads, no TV promotions, nothing. Then they wonder where the crowds are.
Winning helps, but they need to start promoting this team more.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:53 am

oldtimehockey wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 am
The Amerk front office is one of the worst in the league. This game has been promoted nowhere. I have seen no ads, no TV promotions, nothing. Then they wonder where the crowds are.
Winning helps, but they need to start promoting this team more.
I actually saw a commercial Tuesday night & have heard a commercial on the radio with Don also since Tuesday. Also on Facebook which neither you are Ted have they have been promoting it. It is a sponsored promotion. I have been seeing it in my news feed

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm

...and you think that is adequate promotion to get to the largest audience? I doubt it. I actually do have a facebook account....just don't spend a lot of time on it. I did hear ONE Donnie ad yesterday. Again, hardly enough to move the needle.this is half-assed promoting. And the proof may be at the gate tomorrow. I sure hope there is a huge walk-up. It will be competing with the Yankees-Sox baseball I think.

I think Danger and Batt have had some folks on....which helps. but you have to know about these shows and be regular listeners. To attract the crowds they need to fill the place to an unembarrassing amount...they need to do more. Maybe back in the day (when they did have newspaper and other media coverage) it wasn't as important because the Amerks were winners and relevant in the sports community. When you have such an abysmal winning history over the past 20 years (including last year), its easy to see how and why the Amerks have slipped off the radar.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 pm

I heard one discussion on CMF the other day and that was only because Duffy was doing something at the pre game party Friday.

schlag

Post by schlag » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:00 pm

it might be a long uphill effort. from my anecdotal evidence most people only know of NHL and Olympic hockey. for example, I have mentioned to several people at work the Amerks opener is tomorrow. first they had no idea. second, they seem to think the AHL is not a pro league.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm

There is a large disconnect in the minds of the general public regarding what pro sports are. "Major League" and "professional" are not the same thing.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm
...and you think that is adequate promotion to get to the largest audience? I doubt it. I actually do have a facebook account....just don't spend a lot of time on it. I did hear ONE Donnie ad yesterday. Again, hardly enough to move the needle.this is half-assed promoting. And the proof may be at the gate tomorrow. I sure hope there is a huge walk-up. It will be competing with the Yankees-Sox baseball I think.

I think Danger and Batt have had some folks on....which helps. but you have to know about these shows and be regular listeners. To attract the crowds they need to fill the place to an unembarrassing amount...they need to do more. Maybe back in the day (when they did have newspaper and other media coverage) it wasn't as important because the Amerks were winners and relevant in the sports community. When you have such an abysmal winning history over the past 20 years (including last year), its easy to see how and why the Amerks have slipped off the radar.
They just don't want to spend the money to advertise a lot. They like to use social media...it is free. The Amerks have also been having Redmond & Guhle advertise the games on snapchat. Ted my bad, didn't realize you had FB.

https://www.facebook.com/26033918778/po ... 480493779/

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm

No problem Mark...see you tomorrow night!

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm
No problem Mark...see you tomorrow night!
Yes...see you then sir.