15 year agreement for BCA management

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

15 year agreement for BCA management

Post by keithLGA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:30 pm

bmb2jn

Re: 15 year agreement for BCA management

Post by bmb2jn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Pegulas hire consultant for stadium/arena planning

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/27/pegu ... nd-sabres/

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Good for the BCA, Rochester and the Amerks!

Now for the bad news. The WCD and the Admirals spent $6M for one season to upgrade the UWM Panther Arena, not 15 years to spend that amount.
It really concerns me, based upon the number of posters that want arena upgrades.

"The project announced in February 2018 mentioned $37 million of improvements to the arena over the next 5 to 10 years."
Did it mention who is coming up with that money and how?

The $2M that the Admirals spent went for their locker room including an extra heavy duty ventilation system.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:22 am

Tell you what... Why don't they get a committee on how to attract MORE FANS to the games in ROC. The "fan experience" they're looking for is lost if you don't have any butts in the seats. They have the WORST marketing dept. I have ever seen.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 am

seems to me it has been a slippery slope ever since SAbres took over again. They thought perhaps after ditching the very unpopular Panthers that fans would just stream back in droves. Then years of awful teams just sort of diminished any desire to aggressively market. this is where we're at.

In reading all the 'scheduled' improvements, almost none of them affect the fans. ..except perhaps better washrooms. Fans have to 'see' that the place is better for them. And that starts with the horrible seating bowl, with old uncomfortable seats and zero legroom between rows.

And the team itself has to do its part. We have been so bad at home recently, its hard to get real excited about them. For some reason they still seem to save their worst efforts for the home crowds.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Sometimes I wonder if anyone besides us really cares about getting more fans to games.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:43 pm

as we used to say in the navy....'you ain't wrong'!!

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Sadly Minor League Sports are dying.

When it comes to the Bisons, Red Wings, Amerks and other Minor League Sports people care more about Star Wars Night and other promotions rather then ending Playoff Droughts and winning Championships.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am

bmb2jn wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm
Sadly Minor League Sports are dying.

When it comes to the Bisons, Red Wings, Amerks and other Minor League Sports people care more about Star Wars Night and other promotions rather then ending Playoff Droughts and winning Championships.
Do you think this has to do with the way minor league sports seem to be marketed? From what I've seen, most of them are trying hard to project a "family friendly" image and add all those sideshows to back that. Minor league sports themselves are still fun to watch and are an incredible value, especially compared to major league sports and other entertainment options. If you look at sports that don't have much of a minor league system such as basketball and football, they rely on college sports as the lower level in terms of competition. Those college sports are thriving. They can be expensive too. Locally we have Hawkeye football and basketball which both draw very well (about 15k for basketball and about 70k for football). These aren't marketed the same way minor league baseball and hockey are. They would both be considered AAA/AHL level for their sport (D1 Big10 college level). They have a passionate, rowdy fan base that likes to tailgate the way Bills fans do (which is a draw) but they wind up drawing all age groups anyway. I think that by marketing to children, minor league baseball and hockey miss out on a chunk of fan base that wants a rowdier atmosphere and have a lot of (relatively speaking) expendable income. I don't know why else there is such a gap between 2nd level sports. I think the interest in the sports themselves is still there, judging by people's willingness to pay obscene amounts of money to watch NHL and MLB. A notable outlier is the Dayton Dragons. They are in the Midwest League and outdraw a lot of AAA teams. They are studied pretty intensely by other teams but as far as I know, nobody has cracked the code. Just an oddity I guess. In terms of hockey, I think Slapshot contains a possibly useful example even though it's fictional. When they got mean and started marketing themselves that way, they started packing the place and generating buzz. I think it has more to do with marketing than amenities or "fan experience". Granted the war memorial seats are terrible, but that doesn't stop me from going to games when I'm in town.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:28 am

You raise a lot of good points. The sports that seem to do well also have a big media presence. If a team is out of site and it's out of mind. Majority of people I talk to know very little about the Amerks. I recently did some searches and there's almost no mention of the Amerks from Rochester sports media on Twitter. I know there's a massive world outside of Twitter but it's the easiest to look at. The Buffalo News has stories often about Amerks players, the D&C has had none. One local who is proud to be Rochester born and raised mentions the Sabres a lot. Only mentioned the Amerks once since opening night. Why all of that is I have no idea but again, out of site, out of mind.