Embarrassment in Binghamton

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Embarrassment in Binghamton

Post by insagt1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Maybe it all started to unravel in the 2nd period of the Springfield game, when the Amerks were strafed for 7 goals en route to a 9-4 thrashing.
Then it carried on the next night when they couldn't hold a two goal lead more than halfway thru the game before finally blowing it in OT.
The poor play continued last Friday when they played horribly in a 5-4 loss to a team the coach flatly said was not as good as his team.

Last night only a fluke goal allowed the Amerks to steal a 1-0 win.

But tonite, I think they perhaps looked about as bad as a team could look for 3 full periods in a demoralizing 3-0 loss to Bingo. Outside of Wedgewood, not a single Amerk looked like they cared to play. (well Paetsch was OK in his first game). They couldn't complete a pass; they lost every battle, they were beaten to every puck..this may have been the easiest shutout Blackwood will ever get. Down only 1-0 going into the 3rd, Amerks couldn't even penetrate the Binghamton zone for the first 5 minutes.

We may have 2 more points than Syracuse, but we are no longer a first place team. Not even close. The Crunch and Marlies will replace us soon,...and even Cleveland could join that group. This team confounds. Hard to imagine , watching them, that they could play this poorly. A full 60 minutes of crap.

Anyone can add their observations to this mess. 2 1/2 hours of life that can't be taken back. It was a disgusting exhibition of bad hockey, where one team came to play and the other team went thru the motions.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Embarrassment in Binghamton

Post by keithLGA » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 pm

I'd give credit to Will Borgen for two offensive scoring chances. At the same time it's pretty bad when your most defensive defenseman is the first player that comes to mind for scoring chances.

3/43 in the last 12 games on the power play. Two of those goals were in that 9-4 loss. Binghamton scored on their power play and it was really the only goal that was needed.

It's a full team effort in losing. Not like one player turning the puck over causing a loss.

My writeup...
http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2018/12/01/ ... inghamton/

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 pm

This is reminding me of last year.

The record is good but they're playing uninspired hockey.

The only difference is our parent club is good.

What are our thoughts on Botterill and Sexton?

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am

Definitely another step back last night!
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

Sexton? Who's he? Pretty much sums it up for me.

We enjoyed one month of real good hockey. Then, it has been back to what we have seen in recent years. I have no idea why this team just suddenly stopped playing together. Last night they looked like they had never seen each other before. A complete waste of 60 minutes. This has to stop.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

We enjoyed one month of real good hockey. Then, it has been back to what we have seen in recent years. I have no idea why this team just suddenly stopped playing together. Last night they looked like they had never seen each other before. A complete waste of 60 minutes. This has to stop.
Time to start questioning Taylor.

Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:30 pm

oldtimehockey wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm
insagt1 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

Time to start questioning Taylor.
I've questioned Taylor since the day he was hired to be the head coach....Wrong move back then and I'm sticking to that now....

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Things can change quickly in pro sport. Sabres winning streak could easily become a substantial losing streak. Amerks great start could easily disappear by Xmas, the way they are playing these days.
Winning streaks are tough...ask the Caps. They were well on their way to 8 straight this afternoon...burying the Ducks at home 5-1 halfway thru the game. Then complacency set in. Anaheim scored two to make it 5-3 at the end of the 2nd. Then they roared back with 3 more in the 3rd to snatch the win away from the Caps 6-5. That one had to hurt.

The October Amerks looked the team we were all dreaming of for years. Then November came along and that dream is now a nightmare. Amerks are a disorganized, powerless bunch that bears no resemblance to the team we watched in October. The contrast has been stark...which is why there is concern. Is it coaching? Might be. Time will tell.