Amerks lose 5th game when leading after 2

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Amerks lose 5th game when leading after 2

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 pm

chalk this one up to just plain ugly. How can a team play so well for 40 minutes and then TOTALLY disappear for the rest of the game, OT, and shootout.
The 3rd period was probably the saddest display of hockey by the home team all season. Managing one shot on goal (and that was a gift) and playing basically the entire period in their own end, they couldn't hold the precarious 1-0 lead they enjoyed for two periods.

Everyone watching knew it was coming. From the moment the Crunch tied it, all we could hope for was to somehow crawl to OT. Even in the OT, with the power play, Crunch controlled play and Amerks didn't get off any real dangerous shots. Meanwhile Wedgewood was making spectacular saves, only have it all wasted when he couldn't stop either shootout attempt.

Syracuse continues to show us why they will ultimately win the division. They are relentless. But shame on the Amerks for falling asleep in such an important divisional matchup. I can't wait to hear how Taylor will spin this. Amerks had virtually no chance at all to win it in OT or shootout. They checked out at the end of the 2nd period. Every single one of them, except the goalie.

5 losses when leading after 2 periods is discouraging and not the way you win playoff games. Talk about leaving a bad taste....this one stunk. And it shouldn't have. Did we 'earn' the loser point? No. thankfully the crowd was Wednesday tiny.

Terrible. Just terrible.

oldtimehockey

Re: Amerks lose 5th game when leading after 2

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:56 am

This will bite them in the a$* in the playoffs. Losing after leading going into the 3rd. But our oblivious coach doesn't think it's a pronlem.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:26 am

At least, for a change, the coach said he wasn't happy with our 3rd period (in either of the last 2 Syracuse games) Said we were outplayed on both games. thanks Captain Obvious.
Porter called the game result 'unacceptable'. Correctomundo. It just really stings to be outmatched so one-sided, on our own ice (which we know is no advantage this season whatsoever) when the game really mattered. Instead of coming out on fire in the 3rd, Amerks, as a team, watched the Crunch put on a hockey clinic. Wedgewood kept us in it unti the shootout, when he was beaten by 2 real good shots.
Meanwhile, Olofsson, who was as invisible last night as Nylander often is, once again tried to score with a shot that hasn't worked for him in shootouts all season. I don't get it.

but, we weren't going to win this game anyway. When you lose 9-4 to Springfield, you shake it off and recognize that games like that are rare. The last 2 losses to Syracuse are hard to shake off because both times Amerks blew late 3rd period leads, when they just stopped playing. If we get this team in the first round, we'll fold just like last year, with play like that.

'Crowd' of just around 3,000 for a mid winter game against our closest rival. We haven't had one decent Wednesday crowd. They just can't get anyone to show up mid-week anymore. It doesn't help that we usually lose.

It was just a lousy night at the BCA. Lesson learned? Who knows?
Coach was his usual abrupt self when asked about Nylander. But last night he was the least of our worries.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:17 am

Let 92 stay in the stands. What's the difference? He is invisible anyway.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am

The 5-10 obnoxious Syracuse fans sitting up in 225(or 226?) tell the whole story. The entire third period they were louder than the rest of the building, they knew they would win that game and we all knew what was coming.

It was almost like the Dalton Smith penalty took the entire life out of the team. We stopped hitting and competing for pucks after that. I thought killing the 5 minute major would give us an energy boost, but it never happened.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:29 am

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am

I was there, I was watching like everyone else, and noticing the way we were being outplayed and outshot in the 3rd. But - even though nobody will probably agree with me, I always hate when everyone says how bad we were. I've played sports my whole life, including this this one, and ya know, sometimes ya gotta just tip your hat to the other team for being aggressive and showing off their skill. We've also had games where we dominate other teams, so I just chalk it up and say - hey, they played better than we did at the end, so shake it off and play better next game. Yeah, yeah, it does seem like they went to sleep in the period, but stuff happens. It shouldn't with a talented team, but it does at times.

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am

They are frauds. Not even remotely close to a first place team. Only a matter of time.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:49 am

I want a confident team, this team is arrogant. If not, its an awful system. They play well for a period of time them figure its in the bag. Next thing you know, they are getting run over roughshod. Is it coaching? Is it leadership (lack of)? Sabres are the same way so its either the type of player they have or the system. They sit back too much. So is that Taylor? or is he just a good soldier following marching orders off the cliff. I thought the fire Housley stuff was ridiculous but the more the season goes along, I am seriously considering joining that side. His lineup decisions and goalie decisions have been suspect at best. Sabres were the comeback kids during the stretch. they get a lead, they $hi* themselves and cough it up. Same here. What's the answer?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:33 pm

moose14609 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am
I was there, I was watching like everyone else, and noticing the way we were being outplayed and outshot in the 3rd. But - even though nobody will probably agree with me, I always hate when everyone says how bad we were. I've played sports my whole life, including this this one, and ya know, sometimes ya gotta just tip your hat to the other team for being aggressive and showing off their skill. We've also had games where we dominate other teams, so I just chalk it up and say - hey, they played better than we did at the end, so shake it off and play better next game. Yeah, yeah, it does seem like they went to sleep in the period, but stuff happens. It shouldn't with a talented team, but it does at times.
But we WERE bad. Even the coach admitted that. You can't hide from that. Yes, Syracuse played real well...but we were significantly out to lunch. You can't be that bad after being that good for 40 minutes. Our captain said their play was unacceptable. While we have 'tipped our cap to the Crunch' we also have to recognize that 5 losses when leading after 2 periods is a symptom of a team that loses its way in the 3rd period far too much. When you only get ONE tainted shot, at home, in the 3rd period, YOU are not playing your game...and the opponent exploited that perfectly making it look like a 20 minute power play. they couldn't even get their game back with a power play in OT.

they can't just keep shaking off these games against Syracuse. It doesn't 'seem' like they went to sleep...they actually DID and there is no excuse for a good team to do that. When a team buries another team (like Springfield did to us earlier this season), you can say they were better, shake it off and play better. different situation. Last night was preventable and they still had a chance to win it, but never came close.
It was simply ugly and disappointing and they deserve our criticism.