Springfield Rolls Into Town 2/8

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Springfield Rolls Into Town 2/8

Post by insagt1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 am

I REALLY dislike that team....whether it be Indians, Kings, Falcons, Thunderbirds....I don't like them. They have pretty much owned the Amerks over the decades. We have never beat them in post season. We have lost all 3 Calder Cup Finals match-ups with them...including one where we had won 10 straight post season games and had them down 2-0.

Then several weeks ago, we watched (or listened) in horror as just about every shot in the early part of the 2nd period found the back of the net as Springfield poured in 7 goals en route to our worst beatdown of the season 9-4...one of only 4 regulation losses the Amerks have suffered on the road.

Do we have a score or 20 to settle with this team? I would say absolutely. We also have to blow out the stench of Wednesdays disheartening loss to the Crunch, where the Amerks failed to show up completely after the 2nd period. A few of us old timers suggested this may have been the worst home ice 3rd period in team history...and the OT and shootout were no better. Before the game there will be HOF ceremonies and I understand the team will be wearing the 1996 Calder Cup sweaters.

Taylor implied that Zach Redmond might be ready to go. I wonder if he will keep him out of these weekend games to have him ready to go for next weeks 4 games...including 2 back to back against the Crunch...a potential 8 point swing in the standings. these next 6 games will give us an indication of what kind of team we really have.

During the first 2 periods Wednesday I was really thinking we are developing a nice mix of talent. The PK was awesome; there was physical play and aggressive offense. Why everything disappeared so quickly and totally in the 3rd period, OT and shootout just defies logic. That's why I think tonites game is pretty important. Amerks are lousy at home; even lousier at holding 3rd period leads.

We will all be very eager to see who shows up tonite....and for how long.

oldtimehockey

Re: Springfield Rolls Into Town 2/8

Post by oldtimehockey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am

Casey Nelson down on conditioning. I also think Redmond will play tonight.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 am

Sabres suddenly very concerned about their 'd'. Giving up tons of goals. I wonder if that might mean they send Pilut back for more seasoning? And would they recall Guhle...despite his less than stellar season?

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Notes quotes and lineup

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm

A positive is that it seems that pretty much everyone who has been here this season is actually happy to be here (maybe even Bailey to an extent) that bodes well for down the stretch. I liked Nelson's comments. I think Elie is also happy to be playing again too. throw these guys into a winning atmosphere (Sabres...please take note) and its a big plus.

A negative then, is this team has to figure out how to win games they should be winning. 5 losses with leads into the 3rd period is completely unacceptable. What happened Wednesday was beyond unacceptable for a team with this much ability. I will feel a whole lot better about everything if we can beat Syracuse next week. And play hard.

have to think the guys don't need a lot more motivation tonite to play well. Would be nice to enjoy a game where the outcome isn't still in question with a minute to play.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I think Sabres fans will turn on Botterill quicker then they turned on Murray if things continue to go haywire.

As of right now the Sabres are tire fire. Both the Sabres and Amerks are in a similar spot. On paper it's a good year. If you told me that on February 8th that the Amerks would be in 1st place and the Sabres would be 4 points out of a Playoff spot I would've been like "ok great."

But I look on the ice, and we know that it's not sustainable. If Botterill doesn't make a move it will disappear for both teams fast.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

"Would be nice to enjoy a game where the outcome isn't still in question with a minute to play."

I was pretty sure we weren't going to give up our third period lead once we got to 7-0
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 pm

I've been going to Amerks games for 12 years, plus I went to a few Sabres games before that.

Tonight was the first night I threw my hat onto the ice for a hat trick.