Payback!!!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Payback!!!

Post by insagt1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 pm

They beat us by 5...we beat them by 6! They poured in 7 goals in one period. We potted 5...but two were shorthanded and 1 of them was when we were 2 men short.

I wanted a game where the outcome wasn't in question late in the 3rd period! Check! We needed a game where we gave it full measure for 60 minutes. Check! We needed a solid 3rd period. Check!

How good were they tonite? Very good. Pretty much everyone who suited up. Guhle had one ghastly giveaway that nearly resulted in a goal but other than that, the only lapse was with 5 minutes to go, Wedge lost his shutout. Olofsson was on his game. Good news...thats what we have been needing. Bad news...I'm sure this wasn't lost on the Sabres. Could we be losing another one soon?

I think there was one point between the end minutes of the 2nd period and the first few minutes of the 3rd where every shot we took went in. Maybe their goalie made 1 save in between, but I was watching the shot clock and it sure looked like we were scoring on every shot for awhile.

It was fun, for a change to feel like we actually dominated an opponent on our own ice. Syracuse is not letting up so its very important that we keep winning. While we have a 10 game point streak going, the Crunch have an 8 game win streak...so there's no ground gaining to be had. Amerks improve to 29-13-5 for 63 points. ( need 18 wins and a loser point in our final 29 games to reach 100 points)

HOF ceremonies were good. Both guys seemed very honored to be inducted.

finally...watching the team skate out in those jerseys instantly brought back great memories of our Calder Cup win in '96. I hope they wear them more down the stretch if thats possible. They represent what was the best of the Amerks.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Payback!!!

Post by keithLGA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 am

insagt1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 pm
Bad news...I'm sure this wasn't lost on the Sabres. Could we be losing another one soon?
Thankfully the Sabres are healthy (for now) and have contract issues so it's not as simple as calling anyone up for at least the next two weeks. Once the trade deadline passes everything could change.

That was a fun game on a Friday at home for once. Started a little defensive and opened right up. Wedgewood took ownership of the goal against essentially saying he zoned off from not doing much.

Great all around game from everyone. Again. Saturday night in Utica defines the week.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:54 am

insagt1 wrote:
I hope they wear them more down the stretch if thats possible. They represent what was the best of the Amerks.
One time thing for HOF night. They auctioned those jerseys, so they are gone.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 am

insagt1 wrote:
Guhle had one ghastly giveaway that nearly resulted in a goal
If you're talking about that one pass from the corner in the second period that went right to one of their guys in front of the net, I also thought it was Guhle at first just based on how terrible it was but it was actually Asplund who made that turnover.

I will agree both HOF speeches were pretty good. Loved Langdon putting the jersey on at the end. Overall it was a fun game to watch, a physical first period followed by pretty dominant offensive pressure from the Amerks for most of the game. Would have loved the shutout, but whatever. I really wish they'd bring those jerseys back as more permanent third jerseys, wear them once a month or something and then auction them off after the last game.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 am

It's fun to have some fun and simply enjoy a game for what it is in the moment...

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm

The Guhle turnouver I was referring to was when he was in the offensive zone along the boards at the blueline and he bumbled the puck...it was taken away and then he let his man just waltz by him down the ice. Fortunately Springfield did not score on the turnover. But since no one was pressuring Guhle, it was a sloppy play.