AHL Attendance

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
oldtimehockey

Re: AHL Attendance

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 am

I have been around for all 6.

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Its tough to have an NHL and AHL team in the same city. It failed in Montreal, Boston, Philly (to an extent) and Detroit
Tell me if I've missed something - I've been coming to games since 1964, and I can't recall an AHL team in Detroit. Montreal - yes - Voyaguers. Boston - yes - Braves. Philly - yes - Phantoms. Detroit - ??? Seems to be hanging in there in Toronto as well.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Detroit Vipers. Old IHL.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:15 pm

oldtimehockey wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 am
I have been around for all 6.
I have also been around for all 6.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Its really sad to see that a team in Iowa draws more fans (or at least sells more tickets!) The Iowa Corncobs are 10th in the league with an average of over 6,300. Does that bother anyone here?
Hey now, no need to bash us Iowans ;)

Des Moines is about the size of Syracuse and their arena is almost NHL size (which is causing them distress according to local rumors). I've been to a game and the attendance was pretty solid although it looked half empty, even with the upper deck tarped off.

Went to a game in Rockford over the weekend. That place was pretty much full and was intense as usual. One of my favorite away venues to watch a game.

Here is what Rockford looked like last Friday:

Here is what Des Moines looked like earlier in the season (Nov 16th):

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:04 pm

thats pretty awesome...actually I posted that because I'm jealous. These alleged non-hockey markets are doing well....meanwhile we are sort of wilting on the vine. And those clubs are outdrawing 5 of the 7 practice squads that Mr Dave is so in love with. (I realize I am one huge pain in the neck on this subject...but I feel that strongly that the ridiculousness of what has been allowed just can't be overlooked.
I'm glad that at least this year everyone around here seems to have dispensed with 'points percentage' because it no longer applies at all to anyone other than those practice squads...nestled comfortably in one division.

thanks for posting those pics. Looks like the folks are enjoying their hockey!!!

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

I agree with you for sure. Tucson was in Rockford for two over the weekend and it was very easy to root against them. I don't consider them in the same league just as you don't. Such great fans in Rockford too. I miss having the Amerks make a trip through every winter.

Does anyone have an idea about how the team in Loveland CO is doing in terms of attendance? That strikes me as an interesting market. Not a second team for Denver, but only about an hour away in a fairly booming area.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 pm

They are right in the middle, averaging around 5,200 (however its counted) I didn't know they weren't playing in Denver...probably a good thing. Maybe next year our division will play the central again, instead of the Atlantic. Of course that would mean we would be playing outside our conference which apparently they don't do anymore. (except I think the Canadian teams might still play Manitoba once in awhile)

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Now you have 5. I remember sitting in the stands with my cousins and friends in the old upper section 26 watching the Amerks win on April 30, 1965. Imagine that - the playoffs ending in April. The thrill for me that year was meeting Andre Gill and Mike Mahoney of the Hershey Bears while we were sitting in our seats perusing the front page of the Times-Union. During the finals, they published the lineups and info about the game/series. As some of us remember, teams back then only dressed one goaltender, so Gill was sitting in the stands. We knew they were players, because they asked us to read the paper, and were mocking each other about their stats. When they introduced themselves, we gladly chatted about the series. Being 15, I was excited about meeting pro hockey players, and was more excited when they asked my cousin and I if we would like to come down the next day and watch practice, and then skate with them after their practice for awhile. What a thrill that was. I remember them winning the cup in Cleveland in 1966, and how they lost to Pittsburgh in 1967, when the last three games were all played on one weekend. I think the final game was on TV when they won in 1968, but I'm not sure. I wasn't in Maine for the win in 1983, (almost went - would have been there if they didn't win 4 straight - never forgave Val James), but I WAS in Sherbrooke in 1987 for 3 of the 4 games played there, including the winner, then after Claude Verret saw us, he got us into the locker room, and I sipped champagne from the cup, before Joe Crozier took it next. That was also a thrill. (I have that game on VCR). So, some of us HAVE been around, and remember everything. Sometimes it's also nice to look at all of those programs from '64 - '65 and beyond. Going to games for 54 years, I have a lot of memories.

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Now you have 5. I remember sitting in the stands with my cousins and friends in the old upper section 26 watching the Amerks win on April 30, 1965. Imagine that - the playoffs ending in April. The thrill for me that year was meeting Andre Gill and Mike Mahoney of the Hershey Bears while we were sitting in our seats perusing the front page of the Times-Union. During the finals, they published the lineups and info about the game/series. As some of us remember, teams back then only dressed one goaltender, so Gill was sitting in the stands. We knew they were players, because they asked us to read the paper, and were mocking each other about their stats. When they introduced themselves, we gladly chatted about the series. Being 15, I was excited about meeting pro hockey players, and was more excited when they asked my cousin and I if we would like to come down the next day and watch practice, and then skate with them after their practice for awhile. What a thrill that was. I remember them winning the cup in Cleveland in 1966, and how they lost to Pittsburgh in 1967, when the last three games were all played on one weekend. I think the final game was on TV when they won in 1968, but I'm not sure. I wasn't in Maine for the win in 1983, (almost went - would have been there if they didn't win 4 straight - never forgave Val James), but I WAS in Sherbrooke in 1987 for 3 of the 4 games played there, including the winner, then after Claude Verret saw us, he got us into the locker room, and I sipped champagne from the cup, before Joe Crozier took it next. That was also a thrill. (I have that game on VCR). So, some of us HAVE been around, and remember everything. Sometimes it's also nice to look at all of those programs from '64 - '65 and beyond. Going to games for 54 years, I have a lot of memories.