Storm Clouds Gathering

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Storm Clouds Gathering

Post by insagt1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Suddenly this team is very injured. And its starting to show. With tonites lack-lustre 5-2 loss to Cleveland, that makes 3 terrible 3rd period efforts in the past 4 games....and all were losses against divisional foes. And all 3 were there for the taking in the 3rd period and Amerks just fell apart.

Tonite it looked for 40 minutes like neither team was interested in winning. However the Monsters came out in the 3rd and buried their chances while the Amerks just couldn't get anything going. So thats 2 straight 5-2 losses and our first 2 game losing streak on the road. This is not coming at a good time.With the injuries apparently not healing and 2 coming up against what will probably be first place Syracuse, Amerks are facing their first real adversity of the season.

Taylor will say otherwise (he always does), but the guys aren't looking good right now. We are missing key players and the ones we have are not stepping up. Our PP tonite was anemic. Could have made a difference but they had trouble setting up and finding shooting lanes. And on one great shorthanded opportunity, I think it was Simpson who broke in pretty much alone and instead of firing a shot, he tried a cutesy back pass, to nobody and it nearly resulted in a Monster goal. Why do those things? ( if it wasn't Simpson, please correct me)

A gloomy end to the night. And it leaves me with the feeling that we can't beat Syracuse right now, unless something changes. Our 'd' has been 'off' and both goalies have allowed 4 in their last starts. Would it kill Taylor to play Paetsch on Friday?

All in all, a lousy night of hockey.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Storm Clouds Gathering

Post by keithLGA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I think that was Leier that tried that back pass and while I agree it was cutey and unnecessary it works if it's with someone he has chemistry with. They weren't connecting on other chances so try it? Elie played a great game and was the reason for the two goals. It looked like they wanted to win the first 40 minutes and then the Guhle/Tennyson/MacWilliam show took over and it went downhill. MacWilliam went from the best +/- last season to the worst this season.

Guhle -7
Tennyson -9
MacWilliam -11

We know that stat is generally flawed BUT when your "top 3" defensemen are team worst there's an issue.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 am

thanks Keith...I think you're right...it was Leier...but when you have a clear shot, you take it. Amerks have done a lot of this back-passing this season and I think its a low percentage move. I also agree the 3 d-men you mentioned did not have a good game. Guhle really hasn't stepped up that much in Redmond's absence. Mac is not having a good season. WHY aren't we playing Paetsch? (my take,you can disagree, is that the Sabres are behind this)

What I saw last night was two teams that really didn't want to win the first 40 minutes. A lot of back and forth but not much productivity. If both were waiting for the 3rd period, clearly one team was prepared and the other was not. It was another miserable 3rd period effort. Whats going wrong? And can they fix it in time to be competitive this weekend?

Do you have any insight as to what is really happening with Redmond? He has gone from 'he's skating and he may be able to play this weekend (which was last weekend)' to back to week to week. So was he really almost ready or was this rhetoric? Did he suffer a setback, or was it unrealistic to even think he could play for at least 6 weeks? Whatever...we need him back because the 'd' has not flourished in his absence.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:20 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 am
Do you have any insight as to what is really happening with Redmond? He has gone from 'he's skating and he may be able to play this weekend (which was last weekend)' to back to week to week. So was he really almost ready or was this rhetoric? Did he suffer a setback, or was it unrealistic to even think he could play for at least 6 weeks? Whatever...we need him back because the 'd' has not flourished in his absence.
There probably shouldn't ever be a time table set on ankle injuries but that's what we all want in sports. Could call it a set back or unrealistic expectations once he got back on the ice. Either way, he was all in on practice and appeared close. Like you said, no one has stepped up in his absence to really advance themselves and it's showing.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm

I have to think the Sabres are a bit disappointed in guhle's slow progress. Fortunately for them, they have Dahlin now, which shoves Guhle further out of the spotlight. What I see from him this year is inconsistency. He will make some great plays; then he'll have a crucial turnover, sometimes in the same series of a shift. Borgen is doing very well. MacWilliams has regressed and Tennyson flat out makes too many mistakes to be effective. Hickey is learning. Paetsch is sitting and rotting away his final years of productivity. I think the Sabres are not treating him well at all. (they'll say he is mentoring...but he can still play...why isn't he? Especially when there are others who are struggling, or in the case of Redmond, injured.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm
I have to think the Sabres are a bit disappointed in guhle's slow progress. Fortunately for them, they have Dahlin now, which shoves Guhle further out of the spotlight. What I see from him this year is inconsistency. He will make some great plays; then he'll have a crucial turnover, sometimes in the same series of a shift. Borgen is doing very well. MacWilliams has regressed and Tennyson flat out makes too many mistakes to be effective. Hickey is learning. Paetsch is sitting and rotting away his final years of productivity. I think the Sabres are not treating him well at all. (they'll say he is mentoring...but he can still play...why isn't he? Especially when there are others who are struggling, or in the case of Redmond, injured.
Paetsch isn't playing because he's not a prospect. Dougherty is even a prospect to them...

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 pm

so 'winning' really isn't important to them is it. Its prospects or bust. Shame on me for thinking things would be different with Botts and Sexton

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:11 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 pm
so 'winning' really isn't important to them is it. Its prospects or bust. Shame on me for thinking things would be different with Botts and Sexton
Nothing changed. The prospects play regardless....