Two Big Ones Coming Up!!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Two Big Ones Coming Up!!

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm

So, lets create a bit of the old rivalry excitement with the two games coming up. How about this! Belleville handed the Crunch their second straight shutout loss so Amerks are still going into the weekend 2 points up on Syracuse. Both teams square off on rare two game losing streaks.

Amerks are coming off two miserable 5-2 losses, where they did pretty much nothing right. Crunch come in not having scored a goal in their last two games.. Which team will be the most ticked off? Can the Amerks take advantage of this good fortune of not losing any ground despite two dud games?

Rochester is weighed down with injuries and one huge call-up. Let's hope these two recent losses aren't the harbingers of things to come for this club. Defensive lapses have really hurt. In both losses Utica and Cleveland scored goals in bunches. Both goalies allowed 4.

It would be nice if the BCA were full Friday night. Pipe dream. but it would help. (maybe...we usually lose when we draw over 5,000) Still a large vocal crowd could create an atmosphere we rarely experience anymore. I'd be satisfied with between 6-7K, given how very little this team is promoted.

At the very least, we must win at least one of these games. Both clubs know how important these games are and both are currently not playing very well.

Hoping for a fun night at the BCA Friday.
Last edited by insagt1 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmb2jn

Re: Two Big Ones Coming Up!!

Post by bmb2jn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Syracuse is reeling too.

They lost 3-0 to Belleville and outscored 7-0 in their last 2 games.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm
Amerks are coming off two miserable 5-2 losses, where they did pretty much nothing right.
As Eichel recently said, there aren't moral victories this time of year BUT how can you say they did pretty much nothing right? They had a total of about 5 really bad minutes out of 120. That's 5 minutes too many but I guess we have a different opinion of nothing right. It's not like they were games earlier in the season where they just flat out stunk for 50 minutes each game.

Yea yea, I'm an Amerks apologist.

Either way, 4 of the next 9 are against the Crunch. It's almost all divisional games this point forward. We're without players. The Crunch are without players. We'll see which team is built to withstand these situations.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

I know the Crunch will be ticked royally....two straight shutout losses. I'm not sure Taylor sees our two losses the same...so I hope they are prepared for a very angry team.

Keith--once Utica scored those 3 quick goals, the Amerks went home. They checked out. It was a different game. It wasn't just 3 or 4 minutes of bad hockey. It was downright ugly.
Cleveland...the two teams toyed with each other for 40 minutes. The Amerks didn't have the energy they usually have for road games. Maybe the missing players played a bigger role. But their 3rd period was a no-show. Monsters came out to play. Amerks sat back. I'll modify my stance slightly for you. They played 40 'OK' minutes Tuesday maybe, but only about 25 against Utica. I hated that game. After a very nice start, they just disappeared.

I have never really been a total supporter of Taylors style. I don't think he is a bad as some feel but I also think he has a 'Sabres Governor' on how he portrays the team. He is extremely defensive to honest and obvious criticism, and for my money, is often way too soft on the team when they don't play well. I agree with Eichel. No time for moral victories. Amerks had 1 REALLY bad minute against Utica...but that bad minute just can't happen. Because it led to a lot more bad minutes.

I want to see a lot of anger and passion Friday. I think I saw it against Springfield, in the 3rd period. They had a score to settle and they went out and settled it. By the 4th goal, Springfield packed their bags. In the last 3 Amerk losses, it was the Amerks that packed up. A lack of sustaining intensity needed to win. To say they only had 5 bad minutes out of 120 just doesn't fly with me the last 2 games. They had 2 miserable 3rd periods, where the game was right out there for the taking.

That has to be fixed, if we are to be a contender. Not just a hanger on. Crunch have kept the door open for us....we need to BARGE in and make them pay..whoever suits up. A big crowd would be nice too.

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

Nothing is personal when talking sports, but I think you’re making too many excuses for them, Keith. They’ve had far too many issues for far too long. Including last season.

Sexton said this was a Calder Cup contender during training camp. And they should be held to that standard. He set it, not us. If Jason Botterill said the same thing about the Sabres, they would be incredibly scrutinized by the fans and media, and for good reason. The AHL is a step down, but that scrutiny doesn’t go away. You want to say stuff like that? Be prepared to be criticized when you can’t hold a 3rd period lead. Be prepared to be criticized when your efforts are inconsistent. And for Sexton, you deserve criticism for sitting on your hands all season.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am

My money is on Syracuse because outside of D Smith, I don't see a lot of aggressiveness from this roster. Many games this year I see them get out hustled. Syracuse on the other hand is one of the teams that has run us over in such situations. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have the warm fuzzies about it.

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 am

Dubblenikle wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am
My money is on Syracuse because outside of D Smith, I don't see a lot of aggressiveness from this roster. Many games this year I see them get out hustled. Syracuse on the other hand is one of the teams that has run us over in such situations. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have the warm fuzzies about it.
They’re not a hard working team at all. Very much a team that thinks they can play 30 minutes and win a game.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:21 am

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am
I know the Crunch will be ticked royally....two straight shutout losses. I'm not sure Taylor sees our two losses the same...so I hope they are prepared for a very angry team.
Yea, Taylor is perfectly fine with losses. You know how ridiculous that sounds?

I'm not making excuses for anything and it's not acceptable to lose like they have. Inaccurate statements are the only thing I've corrected.

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am

I wouldn’t say he’s okay with it, but it’s generally his own fault for people maybe thinking that based on his comments to the media. He makes too many excuses himself. He brushes aside legitimate questions on team issues and problems.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:19 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:21 am
insagt1 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am
Yea, Taylor is perfectly fine with losses. You know how ridiculous that sounds?

I'm not making excuses for anything and it's not acceptable to lose like they have. Inaccurate statements are the only thing I've corrected.
Keith it sounds as ridiculous as what he tells us. In the locker room he may NOT be 'fine' but to us fans, he sounds defensive and he also will say the team played a lot better than the RESULT. And right now, its only results that get you 2 points. To say things (to us) like, 'I think we played pretty well, except for that one 58 second lapse (for example) is meaningless. Its the 58 second lapse that loses the game.
Better to tell us--we had a big lapse that resulted in 3 quick goals. We have to be better. PERIOD. You know nobody is going to be satisfied hearing how well they played in a scenario like that. THAT to me sounds ridiculous. He may not be fine with losses...but neither are we, who buy the tickets. So don't make it sound like its really not as bad as it was. Doesn't that make sense??

If two teams battle tooth and nail, even Steven for 60 minutes...trading shots, hits and chances...and one team gets the last goal....fine. But our last 3 losses don't fit that metric in the least. So we don't like the sugar coating. Again, what he says privately is not our business. But how he portrays the team to you guys and to us....different story.

Do you remember those bleak dark days of Florida....when our coach could come on (usually after a smirking stupid player interview) and say...'we battled tonite'. (of course we lost, but who's counting?) I'd rather hear nothing.

You see Taylor more than we do. All we see is body language that says, I don't want to hear these questions. Maybe what you see and what we see and hear is totally different. We (I) am only expressing what I see and hear...and frankly sometimes I really don't like it. And I'm not alone on this...at least not here. (and outside of this great forum, I have to wonder how many fans really care one way or the other anymore)