Crunch Knock Amerks From 1st Place

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Crunch Knock Amerks From 1st Place

Post by insagt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 am

One team had to end their mini-losing streak. In a pretty hard fought game, Syracuse broke their 2 game shutout streak, scored 1 measly goal and skated off with a 1-0 win over the punchless Amerks.
Early in the 1st period, Will Borgen set up Cornel perfectly for an easy wide open net tap-in. It was such a sure goal, the goal judge actually lit the red light a tad prematurely .
Problem was, Cornel missed the wide open net and clanked it off the far goal post. That would turn out to be the closest the Amerks would come to scoring on Ingram. They fought hard, but never sustained any in-close pressure on the Crunch netminder. Their power plays were awful. Both goalies faced 32 shots and I think Wedgewood was the better goalie. Unfortunately, a bad turnover in the neutral zone resulted in a 2 on 1 and the Crunch fired a laser past Wedgewood's blocker. He faced a lot more tough chances than Ingram, but the one that got away pinned a very rough 'L' on the now 2nd place Amerks.

A few things..Wedgewood got clocked in the head during a third period rush. Guhle did nothing about it when he could have defended his goalie.
Leier blocked a real hard shot in the 3rd and barely was able to hobble to the bench. Looked real bad.
Nelson failed to keep the puck in the zone twice in the final minute or so costing the Amerks valuable seconds in a frantic effort to tie the game.
Taylor thought the team had a lot of scoring chances. From our perch in the stands, we saw a lot of shots, but not many real good scoring chances. Ingram did not have a real tough night.

Crunch now have won the last 3 against the Amerks....all by 1 goal. Nice Friday crowd of just under 6,700. Again, not much to cheer about.
Alex Nylander apparently made it clear he doesn't want to be here anymore. Well, thats fine because we don't want him here either. Once a player makes a statement like that, he should never get to suit up again. Sabres need to find a new home for him and good riddance.

I'd like to see Wedgewood in goal again tomorrow and Wilcox on Sunday afternoon. For the team to get a win tomorrow, they need a lot more second efforts in the offensive zone...a lot more pucks on net and a decent power play. While the Crunch aren't exactly blowing us out of games, they are the better team. These are playoff style games and we have to figure out how to win them.
Last edited by insagt1 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBenny

Re: Crunch Knock Amerks From 1st Place

Post by UncleBenny » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 am

I was way off on my attendance estimate, which is a good thing because it means there was an actual walkup boost for once this season. Maybe we'll actually start seeing some big crowds down the stretch here if that continues to be the case for Friday games.

The bad news of course is that if we can't figure out how to beat Syracuse, we won't be going anywhere in the playoffs again this year.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Its too early for 'must wins'...but tonites game I believe is a must win if the Amerks are to even be considered a 1st place team or a playoff contender. A 4 game losing streak would also not sit well...but dropping a 4th straight to rival Syracuse would send a pretty clear message. At least to me it would. We have to be able to beat them...in the close games. The offense has abandoned us the last 3 games and the PP has also gone south. The PK is still strong but that elusive 30th win needs to happen tonite.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:53 pm

They cannot compete with the Crunch. Crunch are faster, more scoring, better goaltending. They have proven it over the last 3-4 games. Amerks are not a 1st place team. Maybe if we get Criscuolo, Redmond, CJ Smith, Malone and Pilut back for the playoffs we may have a chance. Notice I didn't insert Nylander in there......