We Have A 3 Game Win Streak!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

We Have A 3 Game Win Streak!

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 pm

It has been awhile since we have strung 3 wins together so that made tonites rather shaky win that much better. Paced by the outstanding goaltending of Wedgewood and the most welcome return of Zach Redmond, Amerks managed to squeeze out a 4-2 over the very pesky Cleveland Monsters.

Amerks PK struggled a bit and so did the PP, but somehow they got it done. I still don't know how they scored the game winner...except that the newly minted line of Elie-Leier-Oglevie made it happen and somehow the puck found its way over the goal line. An empty netter by Simpson saved the Amerks from a possible last minute heartbreak. They had too many giveaways; too many penalties....but they also played pretty hard too.

Olofsson went scoreless for the 5th straight game, but O'Regan got off the schnied with his first goal in I believe 10 games. Redmond took all of about 2 1/2 minutes to register his first goal since his injury...and becomes the first Amerk to score 20. (they had no 20 goal scorers last year). O'Regan, Simpson and Olofsson are all knocking on the door of 20 and CJ Smith is too (if he returns)

Our 32nd win puts us just 5 behind last years total. We maintain our 3 point lead on Syracuse but it has to be noted that Toronto is catching up fast...only 5 behind now (we have 1 game in hand) If want to stay on top, we have to keep winning. Which is how it should be. With the 3 game win streak nullifying the 3 game losing streak, Amerks are once again at their high water mark of 16 over .500 (not counting the 5 OT/SO losses)

Another tough game with Utica on deck and the redhot Belleville Sens to follow.

A modest gathering of about 3,500 was announced. Perhaps just a handful of fans less than attended the Sabres-Panthers game last night.

amerks23

Re: We Have A 3 Game Win Streak!

Post by amerks23 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 am

Another very physical game with a divisional rival. When was the last time you saw 2 fights in less than a minute! Old Time Hockey! Eddie Shore! Toe Blake! I was impressed the way Will Borgen handled himself. I have been impressed by him since the beginning of the season. My favorite rookie this season. The officials were questionable at times. How is that hit on Porter not a penalty? I was impressed what Tennyson did going in and sticking up for a teammate. If it was Guhle he would have given him a big kiss. The second goal by Cleveland I thought should have been goalie interference. Former Amerk Mike Duco was one of the refs.

The team continues to win without Nylander. I heard he was wearing a non contact jersey in practice this week. That's what he wears in the games!

My only hope at the trade deadline is that Buffalo sends him far far away from Rochester.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:47 am

The importance of the next two games should be obvious. Utica who is only 5 behind us and Belleville, whom we have not played well against, is on a huge points streak are our opponents. Meanwhile Syracuse and Toronto square off twice. If we don't win, a whole bunch of teams will gain on us in short order. The worst scenario would be the dreaded '3 point' games ...if that happens between the Crunch and Marlies.

Naturally if we can win, we will gain on our closest opponents. Utica has played us very tough, especially lately. Amerks do seem to be gaining some momentum so this weekend will be a big test to see whether we are a legit division leader.

Amerks have a pretty strong lineup at the moment. This could be undone in the next few days if the Sabres make trade deadline moves that could affect us. Sabres season has disintegrated so who knows. Nylander certainly has to be an organizational concern. He has made himself useless to the Amerks and Sabres should recognize a change of scenery is vital for this kid. So, make a hockey trade Sabres.

Amerks showed great grit last night. They seem to be rounding into a fairly well balanced team. They weren't at their best last night, but they found a way to win. I think they will have to be at their best to win twice this weekend. The horror of that awful meltdown against Belleville at the BCA earlier this season is still fresh in our minds. That is a team that doesn't quit.

Should be fun this weekend.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am

Not that I want him back in the lineup, but seriously, a bump in practice and Nylander is still out. Softest player in recent memory. He avoids all conatct on the ice. Please, include him in some deal next week. Botterill has no interest in him. It's become obvious. Send him away like Bailey.

And, Baptiste for Dougherty and Bailey for Leier. Definite plus trades for the Amerks.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:35 pm

We 'win' those two trades if for no other reason, we got two players who want to be here and play hard to win a Cup. the two who were traded away were not all in....at all. Bailey was the biggest enigma. He was very popular with the community. Very visible. should have been a huge asset. Couldn't transfer any of that positivity to the ice....either here or in Buffalo for that matter.

Nylander is not popular here at all. He has been mostly invisible. And it looks like the Sabres have little interest in him anymore. he needs to go. I would lose a lot more respect for management if they let him suit up again, knowing he doesn't care. If he did care before and he played the way he did, imagine what a drag he would be on the team now, basically saying he doesn't want to play here anymore. Most organizations do move players like that out. sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Bruins moved two stars out early in their careers because they felt they weren't with the program....Seguin and Thornton. they rolled the dice and both turned out to be stars with their new teams. However the Bruins also survived and did OK without them. While Seguin was a bit player in the 2011 Cup win for Boston, management was not happy with his 'maturity towards the game'. he was 21 at the time. Thornton was kind of the scapegoat for the Bruins recent poor showings in the standings...so he was traded to another team who was going nowhere at the time...San Jose. while the guys the Bruins got are long gone, Joe still plugs along in San Jose, nearing the end of a very successful career.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Bad news, Nylander is expected back in the lineup on Friday and on a line with Malone and Cornel. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I can't figure this out at all. Maybe they still want to move him and teams have to know he can play. OR--maybe now he will play his behind off to get the Sabres attention.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:18 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:00 pm
I can't figure this out at all. Maybe they still want to move him and teams have to know he can play. OR--maybe now he will play his behind off to get the Sabres attention.
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm hoping they are showcasing him for a trade far far way! If they recall him it would be a disgrace! What message does that send to other Amerks that have been playing good here? With the Sabres nothing would surprise me.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm

SEE HE'S HEALTHY, SOMEONE TAKE HIM!!! We can dream.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 pm

thats what Im hoping....I really don't want to see him take someones roster spot right now. I wonder how the locker room feels about him?