Gettin' It Done!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Gettin' It Done!

Post by insagt1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:02 pm

That's how its done. A solid effort with a dominating 3rd period carry the Amerks to an important 3-1 win over divisional foe Utica. And another road win too. Having Remi Elie back in the lineup was a huge plus and he fired home the insurance goal in the 3rd to give the team that 3-1 lead.
Wedgewood was strong allowing only that power play goal to (who else) Reid Boucher. CJ and Olofsson also scored.

with the win the Amerks once again regain 1st place...even though Syracuse has 2 in hand again. Crunch have caught the Amerks 3 times this season but have yet to surpass them. Crunch play Friday and Amerks do not. So Crunch could once again tie the Amerks heading into the 2 game showdown.

From the look of the team, Monday's message must have gotten through. How big is this showdown weekend?

Very big. A lot on the line. Every game from here on out is pre-playoff calibre. 34 wins puts us just 3 behind last years total.

insagt1

Re: Gettin' It Done!

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 am

20 games to play...also time to start looking at ROW's...since there exists some legitimate chances that there will be ties at the end of the season. Syracuse currently has 30 and Amerks have 29...so we need to 'fix' that! Overall, Amerks still have 2nd most wins in the AHL. Charlotte has 2 more (remember when they beat us 2 straight to start the season!!!)

One of the practice squads has apparently won 17 straight. Let's hope that stops soon to make sure a legitimate teams (Norfolk) record continues to stand.

If anyone is looking for a fun game to watch tonite....try Tampa vs Boston. Both teams have mega points streak on the line. Tampa has won 10 straight and is taking dead aim at the NHL record of 62 wins and 132 points. Boston is 10-0-4 over their last 14 games. Despite that streak they still can't shake the Leafs who trail the B's by just 1 point. Pretty certain that those two teams will meet in round 1...but who will get home ice?

Simpson, Smith and O'Regan are on the threshold of their 20th goals...to join REdmond and Olofsson. Trivia...when was the last time the Amerks had 5 20 goal scorers in one season?

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 am

I cheated and went back through the stats, but it was this season. We had a couple 4-20-goal-scorer years since then as well.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:31 am

So it has been nearly 20 seasons since we have had 5 20 goal scorers! If we get 5 this season, it would be quite a feat...for a team that has not had much scoring in this century....and of course the fact that as soon as a guy gets a hat trick these days...he's recalled.

Amerks are 14-6-3 since Jan 1st. We were concerned that we would have a 2nd half slump, like last year, but so far that hasn't happened. It has not been good enough to pull away from Syracuse (which we all figured), but overall not a bad mark. I still have my sights set on 100 points. these guys have the talent to do it...but do they want it bad enough? I lean towards...they do.

As the sun continues to set on the Sabres season, I kinda think the guys here want to win a championship. I hope I'm right.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:47 am

At season's beginning I was pretty critical of the acquisition of Wedgewood as our #1 goalie. While hardly the stuff of Vezina Trophies...I must admit he has done a very decent job. I want more consistency but at the moment I think his GAA (2.64) is the best it has been...good for 15th in the league. His save % is .913...good for 12th. The top save % is .923. Those numbers are strong. He is 2nd in wins with 21. He has 3 shutouts. He might be a solid playoff goalie for us afterall. Last 20 games, if healthy and not recalled, he should play probably 14 or 15. I guess he has been a pleasant surprise.

His backup Wilcox has been 'adequate'. His GAA is 2.89...good for 29th. His save % is under .900, which is not good. His W-L is also mediocre. He has had a few real good starts and a few real stinkers. As a backup, he'll do. As a starter, we'd be in deep trouble. I think Wedgewood has continued to improve as the season wears on, whereas Wilcox is sort of marching in place. One of Wedge's recent strongest games was one he lost 1-0. If he continues to shine, we just might get out of the first round at last.

Of course he have to make the playoffs first!

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 pm

There were reasons to be skeptical of Wedgewood but it's great to be proven wrong (for now). He's 2nd in the league with 21 wins, 15th w/ 2.64GAA
but there's only a .24 difference between 15th and 5th), and 12th w/ .913SV% (5th is at .918). Takeaway 10 blocked shots that he could've saved and he's tied for the league lead at .923

Seems like some pretty close differences.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm

I agree Wedgwood has been pretty solid for us outside of an off night here or there. Also nice to see he can take whatever other teams throw at him and doesn't get rattled like some goalies of the recent past. I can't stand guys like Hackett or MacIntyre who are so easy to throw off their game, and I'm always nervous any new goalie acquisition will be like that.

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Wilcox is a complete liability. I have no doubt that Houser in Cincinnati is the better goalie.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Sure hope Sabres don't have to call him up this weekend....when we need him the most. (Wedgewood)