Stupid Fans; Sports Economics; Exciting Games

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Stupid Fans; Sports Economics; Exciting Games

Post by insagt1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Lots of neat stuff tonite in the NHL, and some not so neat stuff. Bruins and Bolts squared off and for the 1st time in NHL history two teams played each other with current 14 game point streaks. Bruins totally dominated from the opening faceoff and only the incredible goaltending of Domingue for 2 periods kept it close. He finally cracked in the 3rd, allowing 3 in a span of about 90 seconds. TB looked fatigued, playing their 3rd in 4 nights...but still Boston played a near flawless game. Despite their 15 game point streak, they still trail the runaway LIghtning by 17 points!

Meanwhile on the Island, Toronto and ex-Isle John Taveres were making their first visit to Nassau Coliseum. Bruins and Leafs in a battle royale for 2nd place in the Atlantic..and home ice for the first round showdown, which is pretty inevitable. The Isles meanwhile behind ex-Sabre Robin Lehner are the surprise leader in the Metro Division. It was no contest...with the Isles thrashing the Leafs 6-1. With the win NY goes 2 points up on the Caps with a game in hand. With the loss, the Leafs fall 3 back of the Bruins. Isles fans greeted Taveres with merciless booing and throwing stuff...even during his video tribute, where a segment showed him visiting children in local hospitals. A more classy fanbase would have at least given him his due during that...and then resumed booing if they so chose. But it was classless all the way. I would hope Amerk fans would show more respect to an ex player returning, no matter the circumstances if that player put in so many good years with the team.

BlueJackets beat Philly in OT to crawl back into the wild card and further dampen Philly's hard charge. And of course continue to dig the Sabres hole even deeper as the calendar turns over to March. Hardly ever a dull moment in the NHL these days as so many teams are scrambling for a playoff spot.

insagt1

Re: Stupid Fans; Sports Economics; Exciting Games

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 am

To the subject of stupid fans, I found the Isles fans behavior last night to be over the top unacceptable. Keith feels it was just 'a tiny moment', but I sure didn't see it that way; neither did Dan Rosen who wrote about it; or any of the sports show analysts who used it as their main lead-in to their post game summaries. Some were 'diplomatic' as was Taveres himself; while others were a bit more harsh when discussing the fans behavior during a video tribute that included many of his community efforts. One can call it 'tiny' if one wants, but it was a 'mob mentality' reaction that made me sad for where the state of pro sport has arrived. The signs, the throwing of his jerseys and a bunch of other stuff..disgusting.

why does this happen? Why can an athlete give 9 years of his career to one city and one team and still get this kind of reception? Why do some fan bases accept what happens and others clearly don't, when this thing called 'free agency' rears its ugly head and spirals out of control? (Curt Flood...look what you started...)

The days of Lou Gehrig and Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn are long gone. If Alex Ovechkin makes it thru his entire career with the Caps, he will be added to that very short list of exceptions of athletes who stay with one team for an entire career. Once the door is opened for gobs and gobs of money, fueled by greedy agents and born from years and years of greedy owners who treated their employees unfairly...the lure of a bigger payday totally overpowered a players desire to stay put..even when their original team offered a reasonable wage to stay. There is always someone else stupid enough in many cases to overpay to ludicrous degrees (Bryce Harper,Manny Machado to wit)

So players and agents eagerly await freedom day when they can shed their original colors and go elsewhere to get contracts that make 99% of the rest of our heads explode. And fans have become used to losing their favorite sons. And life goes on. Some fans accept it, begrudginly often, but not mean-spiritedly. There have been video tributes for former players/coaches when they make their first trip back to their former homes..and even when the individuals in question leave voluntarily to chase the almighty dollar, most fans still appreciate what they did for their team and city, and recognize that the economics of sport has dictated that there is no going back. Trotz in DC and Skinner in Carolina are just 2 examples this year of decent fan reaction when this happens.

Not so in NY last night. Booing this 'Judas'; showing signs of #1 with a noose around his neck; and then booing loudly all throughout a video tribute was about as classless as it gets. It wasn't 'tiny' and it wasn't trivial. It was disgusting. Chanting 'we don't need you' while this was going on speaks volumes of how out of whack pro sport can be...and how sports economics has framed and molded a segment of our twisted society into this.
Yeah you can boo a player everytime he touches the puck...I get it...its childish but it happens. Its real easy to forget 9 years of solid work once the enemy colors are put on. but to justify in any way, what happened last night is just plain wrong. It crossed lines of decency. It was NOT a small thing, but a symptom of our society gone haywire....and it all begins with greed and money...on everyone's part.

And that genie is never going back in the bottle. I await Harper's return to DC to see how that goes. Manny's return to Baltimore...who knows, because he is a jerk anyway. but from all accounts, Taveres is not a jerk. It was a tough night for him. I hope all those lovely Isles fans bask in their glory and tell their kids how adults behave in 2019.

Geez.

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:23 pm

I have another addition to the "stupid fan" thread. How about the a******s who yell "sucks" when the visiting team is introduced? How childish and sophomoric is THAT? I even confronted one "gentleman" one game when he was yelling "sucks" to tell him how disrespectful and rude that was, and he said I was disrespectful. For what, telling him how childish his actions were?? I know some "fans" do that for every Knighthawks game, but I hate that too. That's not showing support for your team, that's showing your immaturity. I know I'm old, but respect for athletes should never get old. I remember years ago "sucks" was actually shown on the scoreboard during NLL introductions of the visiting teams' starting lineups until Steve Donner told them not to do it anymore. Just wanted to share my opinion of "stupid fans".

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Understood. I feel that some of this behavior is just way too over the edge...last night popped it for me. the man's dignity was impugned and yet some feel it was OK, it was fun, and it was insignificant. It wasn't. It was cumulative. should they have even done the tribute video...knowing that would be the reaction of these dolts? Well, maybe they thought the fans would at least cool it for that...but clearly it didn't happen.
Props to the islander organization and their current players for taking the high road and a load of manure to the stupid fans who carried this nonsense too far.

I know we have had discussions over the years about booing players, when they play poorly. I have gone back and forth on this...but ultimately have decided it does little good. I have to think that 99% of the time the guys are not trying to lose. Does the booing help get them to change? IDK.
Amerk fans on the whole usually cut the players a wide swath of slack for lousy play. (Sabres fans, less so..but patience does wear thin)

I watched the entire pre-game and 1st period of the Isles-Leafs game and found it uncomfortable and tasteless. thats how I feel and no one will change my view on this one.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:17 pm

In the interest of fairness and balance, listened to Boomer and Hahn on Sirius this afternoon and they were absolutely giddy about what took place last night on the Island. While they did say many would disagree with them...they loved all the hijinx and the passion, without mentioning some of the nasty stuff. Danger and Battaglia simply reported what they saw and their only editorial comment was Taveres had it coming by saying he was coming back until the very moment he signed with Toronto.
Fair enough.

This is why I believe the smartest man in the world in the 60's was Sly Stone (who was probably totally stoned all the time) as he wisely said:
Different strokes for different folks!

Yes indeed. There's room for all opinions.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

The "Sucks!" bit comes out of college hockey too. While I understand why it can be considered immature, perhaps there is some middle ground. The atmosphere is generic and detached in a lot of US sports arenas without it. Encouraging chants and cheers can really add to the atmosphere more than generic canned organ notes. In Rockford, the fans chant "Hey guess what? Your goalie sucks!" after they score while Billy Idol plays in the background. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXAXsoUINI

More along the lines of the original post, in Nuremberg the announcers would only say the number and first name of the player and the crowd chanted their last name. Both during the intros, and after goals etc. Cardboard lineup cards were handed out at the door and were designed to be folded into fans that can be used as noisemakers during the chants too. It really seemed to help draw the fans into the game and connect with the players a bit more. From my perspective it was good to be able to quickly reference the lineups (And to see how many former AHL players I recognized).

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Ted, the tiny moment was you focusing on the boo's during a mention of a hospital visit. That's all. Fans were vocal which they're allowed to be, the game was entertaining, that's what hockey needs!!

Are you going to stand up and give a standing ovation when the Amerks give Bailey a video when he returns to town?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Heres where I dont agree with your observation...the disrespect to Taveres started early and built and built...with throwing things, chants and quite frankly, the horrible signs which in this politically charged world would have created a major problem had Taveres been black or Latino. the fact that it never let up even when they played the tribute clearly indicated that a large number of that crowd didn't care how much good he did..it WASN'T a tiny moment but a continuation of real live venom...which I think was excessive and mean. Thats what I saw and heard. I have no skin in this game as I am not a fan of either team. but common decency wasn't present. It was widely reported (and we heard it) that the majority of that building hooted and booed and jeered from the beginning of the tribute right to the end and beyond. That was classless. Again, my opinion.
Many may have found this very entertaining and felt that it was the passionate fans letting it out. And thats fine as long as it doesn't get too personal....WHICH IT DID. They could have had some 'fun' with him without it getting out of hand (IMO)

As for Bailey...I might not give him a standing O, but I wouldn't boo if they did a tribute...BECAUSE...he did a lot for the community and was popular with a lot of fans. More popular than he ever was here on these boards for sure. Taveres was more than just a hockey player in Long Island...something that these 'passionate' and moronic fans seem to have forgotten.

Now, if they EVER tried to do anything for Nylander....I'd be forced to stay home! fortunately he hasn't done a thing to merit much of anything.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 pm

"Now, if they EVER tried to do anything for Nylander....I'd be forced to stay home! fortunately he hasn't done a thing to merit much of anything."

Unfortunately, he's still here. The lame Team Sweden can't (won't) get rid of him.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:36 pm

I really thought the Sabres would move him. (maybe they got zero takers) We're stuck with him,but I bet he isn't in the organization once the new season begins. Best we can hope for is he actually contributes down the stretch...and that would be a stretch!