Bridgeport at Amerks 3/6 BCA

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Bridgeport at Amerks 3/6 BCA

Post by insagt1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 am

For the first time since early October, the Rochester Americans are NOT in first place in their division. Syracuse held on to beat Utica last night 5-3 thus moving the Crunch 2 points up on the Amerks for the first time this season. The two teams finally have played the same number of games.

so the real race for the division begins this weekend. Amerks are coming off a disheartening loss to the Crunch, while Syracuse has won their last 2. Momentum Crunch....at least for now. Amerks know what they did wrong Sunday. Its a cautionary tale...and a tale that will sink them quickly in the playoffs if they are not careful.

Giving up leads, inconsistent goaltending, poor special teams, too many dumb penalties, giving up goals in bunches, taking a period off....take your pick, Its usually not all of them in the same game. Only takes one to sink the ship. Sunday it was poor special teams primarily...coupled with far too many penalties. Sometimes a game is characterized by quick whistles. But knowing this, you have to play smart. And then you have to cash in when given opportunity after opportunity. Amerks did neither and it cost them a key game against their closest rival. Statistically they are near the top in both PK and PP, but sometimes those stats don't present a true picture. Its akin to a goalie giving up 5 goals in a game but if he makes the big stop to preserve a 6-5 win, all is forgiven. Its not always 'how many', but 'when' that matters.

Look at the standings. Making the playoffs is not a lock. There is not enough time left for a slump.Toronto, Utica and Belleville are close on our heels and one team out of the top 5 will go home early.

Thinking positive is a bit harder coming off a bad loss, as we have said earlier this week...however it is time to hunker down, play smart and get 3 wins this weekend. That is what first place teams do. If thats who we are, we should see a very determined, motivated team this weekend. They are now the chasers, not the chased. A different place to be for this years Amerks.

Let's see how they respond.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Bridgeport at Amerks 3/6 BCA

Post by keithLGA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Syracuse almost blew their lead to Utica last night. As much as we harp on the Amerks it's also stuff that other teams go through as well.

Porter and Simpson are back in the lineup Friday. Was a rough loss on Sunday but they had also won six of the previous seven. Doesn't excuse the loss but no one is hanging their head all doom and gloom but that's what we like to do here.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Two things: Syracuse ALMOST blew their lead...but they DIDN'T. They still got the 'W' which right now is all that matters. No points for form or style anymore. They played well enough to win. Costly for us.

All doom and gloom here? Hardly. Realistic? Yes indeed. The loss Sunday was critical because it came 1) against the team we are fighting with for 1st..it was a 4 point game; 2) it was a home game (that doesn't seem to matter this year) and 3) the manner in which we lost is exactly how you get eliminated quickly from a 5 game series. You don't put heads in sand and ignore the issues. We have a very good team. But this year we don't want just making the playoffs. We want a real winner....one who COULD go all the way.

Saying that....yes, you push hard now. You don't make any excuses, because there isn't room for them. You don't take so many penalties. Your tough guy(s) must be less reckless when you have refs who call everything. You can't have your PK on the ice that much.You also must not go 0-5 or 0-6 against an ECHL goalie. It was one loss, but it was a huge one loss, IF it matters where you finish. If you want to let the bad guy know you aren't going to be messed with.

We cheer when we win. And we can be critical if the way we lose a game and to whom has potential playoff ramifications down the road.

So, I want 3 wins this weekend...or at the very least, 3 extremely well played, hard fought, smart games from guys now who know how to do it. I don't want to fall back on statistics anymore, because at this point, they don't matter. If we are 5th or 6th in the league in penalty killing, but we are starting to lose games because we can't kill penalties, what does the stat matter?

Everyone who posts here wants a Calder Cup, not excuses for problems that have needed to be corrected all season. THAT is what we want. If we can't get out of the 1st round this year, the whole season will have been a huge waste. IMO.

Agreed?

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 pm

The Amerks actually blow their leads. Big difference. Syracuse continues to prove they’re the more complete team.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:24 pm
Everyone who posts here wants a Calder Cup, not excuses for problems that have needed to be corrected all season. THAT is what we want. If we can't get out of the 1st round this year, the whole season will have been a huge waste. IMO.
The PP has improved. The PK has improved. They haven't blown leads since that stretch of it happening. Wedgewood has started the bulk of games and won. hmm.. maybe Wilcox would've been better in the 2nd game, he has a winning record vs Syracuse. Seems to me like things continue to be corrected. We're all on the same page about needing to get out of the first round or it's another bust but give them a little credit.

RWB

Post by RWB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:23 am

I think part of the problem is that those of us who have followed the team for a while have truly seen some good teams and this one just doesn’t have that feel. Maybe it’s that it’s been so long, but I don’t get the same feeling watching this team as I did watching past teams. The 98-00 teams were great. They went to the finals twice in a row, and were robbed the second year. It always felt like they were going to win. Same with the 04-05 lockout team, until injuries caught up with them in the end. The 03-04 team was really good, too. This Amerks team just doesn’t feel anywhere near as good. I watch them and all I think is “average”. They squeak out 1 goal wins and make things harder than necessary. Just not a recipe for success in the playoffs.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:37 pm

This time of year you have to think 'micro' not 'macro'. As Taylor said, its not what you did at the beginning of the year, its what you do NOW that will determine if you play in post season.
the cumlutive stats no longer matter. Our PP is 1-15 over the last 4 games. Thats not good. Out PK has allowed 6 goals in their last 19 kill attempts. That too is not good. Prior to that the PK was outstanding...but that doesn't matter anymore. Its what are you doing now that will sink you or save you. So to say the PP and PK 'have improved'...is not really helpful. Past 3 or 4 games...it isn't the case and now we are down to a handful of games.

What I did like, a lot, seems to be the attitude of the key guys...sounds like winning it all is VERY important to them. Leier, for example, seems to have a blazing fire under his butt to win. You've gotta love that. Since he's arrived he has actually scored 7 goals...5 that 'count' and 2 shootout goals that were game winners....that counts in my book.

So the talk and resolve has to now transfer to the games. How badly do you really want to win? Look at the Bruins...17 game point streak and 30 seconds away from having it snapped last night. What did they do? They scored the tying goal and then went right back out to score the winning goal with 6 seconds left. There is a team that wants to win real bad. Yeah, I really enjoyed it! That has to be the Amerks now. Games like last Sunday have to disappear. They play Bingo twice this weekend. They must dismantle them like a house of toothpicks.
Cleveland helped us a bit last night, finally stopping Belleville's long point streak. One team out of the 5 in contention has to go home...may as well be them.

All 'corrections' begin now. What we do in our final 18 games is all that matters now. I think this roster is very talented. Have we seen their best yet? NO I don't think so. But I hope we do. And PS..Elie's suspension really ticks me off. I hope everyone remembers this when we next play the Crunch.