Mission Accomplished!!!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Mission Accomplished!!!

Post by insagt1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 pm

We said we wanted 6 points this weekend....3 wins, nothing less. Done!

And done pretty impressively overall. A surprising 5-0 beatdown of a redhot talented Bridgeport team on Friday; followed by a rather uneven but necessary 5-3 Saturday night; and then a very impressive 6-1 win this afternoon....a game that coach Taylor said they weren't at their best. Except for all the unnecessary penalties, the game was just fine thank you.

6 diferent scorers lit the lamp and Wedgewood was nearly perfect, except for one PP goal scored during a strange 5 minute interference penalty that we all still can't figure out.

A decent Sunday afternoon crowd of over 5,000 had to be entertained (not counting all the pooches) Taylor Leier got his 18th to get things started and that was followed by Elie, Tennyson, Smith, Asplund, and Pilut. This was the first 3 game weekend sweep of the season for the Amerks and it came at a very good time. With todays win Amerks once again leapfrogged over idle Syracuse and back into first place by 1 point. (Crunch will once again carry a game in hand until March 19th...but at least we are putting the pressure on them again.

Marlies lost a shootout so Amerks gained another big point on them. The gap between the top 3 and Utica/Belleville is growing. It is once again starting to look like the same 3 teams will be the top 3 in the division this season.

With the win, Amerks surpassed last years win total and are now 20 over .500 (not counting the 5 OT/SO losses) for the first time this year.

The addition of Leier and Elie have really sparked this team. I can't wait to see how we do against Charlotte this coming weekend. Hopefully it will be a much better show than opening weekend.

Amerks got the job done this weekend. And they appear to be rolling along. The only caution continues to be too many penalties. Other than that, things look pretty darned good right now.

Dubblenikle

Re: Mission Accomplished!!!

Post by Dubblenikle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 am

Not much to complain about this past week. few lulls, but they played throu8hg it and scored when they needed to.

RWB

Post by RWB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am

They didn’t play well at all against Binghamton and even Taylor said so. They don’t play well enough for 60 minutes for me to think they’re going to win a playoff series. My opinions may be unpopular but I’m sticking with them.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 am

I think they can win a first round series against Utica/Toronto/Binghamton, although I don't think it will be easy necessarily. I think it will be very tough to win a potential second round matchup vs Syracuse.

RWB

Post by RWB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Toronto is a lot better than people probably realize. They started slow but have come on strong, even with several of their best players hurt. And they have arguably the best coach in the AHL. A first round matchup with them would be a disaster.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm

actually I think:
our nightmare 1st round would be Bellevlle...we match up terribly with them and haven't beaten them yet. Toronto is certainly good but we can play with them. We can beat Utica in a short series I believe. Its very unlikely we would get Syracuse in the 1st round now. for that to happen, Toronto would have to win the division...not likely but possible I guess...or for one of us to win the division and the other to finish 4th...which I also think is unlikely.
I think we are good enough to win the first round as long as we stay focused and out of the penalty box. Wedgewood should give us the goaltending and our newer players seem to be very hungry to win. right now, Belleville aside, the only team that can beat us, is us. If we get sloppy with foolish penalties or we take periods off, like we did too often against Binghamton, we could get punked early.

How they look in the last meetings with Charlotte, Syracuse and Toronto will tell the tale for me. If they stay sharp, I think they will contend. Its certainly cautionary, but we are much better than last years team that got too many points in losing efforts. Plus I think we have more balanced scoring and it seems like the locker room is a happy bunch right now.

all positive signs.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Belleville is the only team the Amerks have really struggled against. That's the most feared first round match up right now. Everyone else we've beaten at various times. We've lost to Belleville in October, December, and more recently in February so it's a good sample size of different times of the season.

RWB

Post by RWB » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Toronto has talent, experience and a great coach. I’d rather face Belleville.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Well, Belleville just helped us out tonite with a win against the Marlies....keeping them 7 back and we now have a game in hand to boot. Its true, Marliers have talent, experience and a great coach....AND I'd rather face them than Belleville in a short series. We also have played real well in Toronto last 2 seasons. Belleville has made us look real bad all 3 games...especially the last 2. They scare me.

I really enjoy the interviews with Leier...when asked how confident he is right now, he smiled and said 'real confident'. Said he's playing the best he has all season. The guy is really happy to be here and apparently fit right in from the start. We are getting full value for that trade. Pilut also looks and sounds happy...even after the obligitory stupid question...how do you feel being in Rochester after being called up to Buffalo. How are you supposed to answer a jerky question like that?

As for Toronto, lets see how we do in the back to back games there the 23rd and 24th. They will be like playoff games. We might have a better idea of whether we would want to face them in round one.

Also..our final game is against Belleville...then we might go right into the first round against them. I don't like that.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm

In each of the top 4 teams in our division last 10 games, their combined record is 27-7-6..Amerks and Crunch have 16 points and Marlies and Sens have 14. No one is letting up. Only Utica lately has faltered.