Utica at Amerks 3/13 BCA

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Utica at Amerks 3/13 BCA

Post by insagt1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Getting near the end of the line....not too many more Wednesdays...thankfully only one more after this one. Our Wednesday crowds this entire season have been abysmal. I don't think we ever cracked 3,600. League-wide, mid-week games are poor draws for the most part. but I believe we did better last year. Our attendance this year has been mediocre to not good overall. I do expect decent crowds for postseason...and especially if we can get past the first round, I think the fans will return...because post season is what its all about.

Our final meeting with Utica. We've had some success against them; and right now they are kind of in a slow fade. However that shouldn't matter at all. We need these 2 points in our pockets as we head out to Charlotte. the guys should be super motivated for those 2 games...to try and show the Checkers that we are a much different team than the one they embarrassed on opening weekend, in our barn.

PLUS--we are still within range of 1st overall if we can win those games. When was the last time the Amerks had a first place team overall? the strike year?
n any event, we need to simply outplay Utica, pack our bags and head south for a big weekend of hockey. Amerks appear to be pretty healthy and barring any recalls, should be in great shape!

insagt1

Re: Utica at Amerks 3/13 BCA

Post by insagt1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

sorry for the double post...tried to delete, couldn't.
Interesting comment from TB coach John Cooper. He said the similarities between the Lightning and his Norfolk team that won 28 straight en route to the Calder Cup a few years back...total confidence. We go (went) into every game thinking we were already ahead 1-0. Felt that we could win every game and expected to. (In Nofolks case...they nearly did!) winning begets winning. Once you get that into your head, you win lots of games you probably shouldn't. the swagger is contagious. You play for each other. Its quite a sight to see when it happens.

I'd like to see that with the Amerks going forward. We have a few players who already feel that way and I hope it spreads.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:33 pm

That swagger not too long ago may have gotten them into trouble in some games but they're carrying it proudly now and playing a confident game.

Leier and Elie have been awesome and contagious to everyone around them. They are loving what they're doing and it's paying off.

The team has a couple days off after Charlotte with guys going on trips to different places. They aren't looking past these three games but determined to take a short break feeling pretty good.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 am

Two more Wednesdays, 4 more Fridays. Really seems like this season flew by, despite our flaws the team has actually been "pretty good" most of the year so maybe it didn't seem to drag on as long like some past years. At this point last season we seemed to be sliding backwards into the playoffs, at least this year we are keeping pace with Syracuse for the top spot in the division. We have very few players up in Buffalo, the team in Rochester is mostly healthy, dependable starting goalie most nights, and some meaningful midseason additions in Leier and Elie. I think there is a lot to like about this season, would be crushing to get knocked out of the playoffs early. I think the biggest question for me is can/will Taylor do what needs to be done in the playoffs to win games. If certain prospects aren't performing, you can't wait until you're down 0-2 in the first round to change something.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm

The best of 5 first round is deadly. At the moment (and this has been debated) I fear Belleville the most...based on how we have matched up with them over the season. Can be argued that regular season stats are out the window in a short series...but watching the B-Sens play against us....just looks like they have us figured out. We won't play the Crunch in round one...so that really leaves the Marlies as our chief nemesis. In the past they have owned us. I think over the past two seasons we can play with them...especially in their barn. But we'll see....

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm

You can tell the Sabres are done when the coach predictably starts praising their efforts in shutout losses. Basically when wins are no longer as relevant, you talk about the little things in defeat. Really can't totally fault Housely for this...what else can he say about a team that disintegrated completely over the past 2 months.

I hate the Penguins. I have always hated them. I hate them just as much this season. I fear them...if the Caps have to play them early in post season, they will lose this year. In just the past 2 days, the Pens stopped the Bruins huge 19 game point streak and last night they overcame a 2-0 deficit to stop the Caps 5-3, beating Washington for the 3rd time in 4 tries. Caps got rid of years of frustration against them last year...Pens haven't forgotten.

I hate them. I hope the Sabres beat them 8-0!

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm
You can tell the Sabres are done when the coach predictably starts praising their efforts in shutout losses. Basically when wins are no longer as relevant, you talk about the little things in defeat. Really can't totally fault Housely for this...what else can he say about a team that disintegrated completely over the past 2 months.

I hate the Penguins. I have always hated them. I hate them just as much this season. I fear them...if the Caps have to play them early in post season, they will lose this year. In just the past 2 days, the Pens stopped the Bruins huge 19 game point streak and last night they overcame a 2-0 deficit to stop the Caps 5-3, beating Washington for the 3rd time in 4 tries. Caps got rid of years of frustration against them last year...Pens haven't forgotten.

I hate them. I hope the Sabres beat them 8-0!
Can’t fault Housley? I’m not sure how you can give Housley a pass for the mess the Sabres are.

Yes the talent isn’t great. Botterill is still trying to clean up the mess that Murray left behind. But Housley has lost this locker room. They were looking decent 2 months ago. Now they look like a tanking team.

You want the Sabres to beat the Penguins 8-0 but it’ll probably be the other way around.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:22 pm

What I meant is I don't fault Housley for simply talking about anything positive his sorry team is doing now. As for his coaching...I'll leave that up to Botterill to determine if he is doing his job. I really don't think Sabres can possibly beat the Pens tomorrow, but I hope they do....not because I like the Sabres but because I just can't stand the Penguins.