Bring on the Checkers!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Bring on the Checkers!

Post by insagt1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Talk about the chance for some high drama this weekend! Amerks riding a 4 game win streak, where they have allowed only 4 goals and scored 19 fly into Charlotte for the long awaited rematch with the Checkers.

Rewind to October 5th, 2018...opening night at the BCA and hopes were high. Thud! Checkers embarrassed the home team 6-2 and the game wasn't even that close. A beatdown. Pehaps the next night rematch would be better. It was for a few minutes...as Amerks managed to grab a 2-1 lead early. And that was it...Charlotte poured it on with 3 unanswered goals and a two game season opening sweep.

Ugh. As the season unfolded, Charlotte proved that was no fluke as they have led the way right up to today. Amerks however were to show us that they weren't that ugly team, rattling off 5 straight wins, vaulting to the top of the North Division, where they have pretty much stayed all season. Many of the guys who played those first two games are still here...and they remember. And as the rematch draws near, both Charlotte and Rochester are tied for the league lead in wins with 39. And the Amerks only trail Charlotte by 2 points.

What a great time it would be for Amerks to return the favor by sweeping the Checkers...and in doing so leapfrogging over them into 1st place overall.
Does the team need much more motivation? Probably not. A battle of the league's top two teams...and when this is over, Charlotte gets Syracuse for two games March 19th and 20th.

Fun stuff. I believe Amerks are totally up for this challenge. It will be fun to see how much they want these two games.

Go Amerks! Onward and upward.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Bring on the Checkers!

Post by keithLGA » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 pm

They're talking the talk and walking the walk. Charlotte might be a similar team to how they played opening weekend. Rochester is a different team than opening weekend. Bring on these games!

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

The D&C has been dropping some small Amerks stories here and there, would be great to see a "1st Place Amerks" story come Sunday/Monday. If we win both in Charlotte, no one can prevent us from holding first place overall for a couple days at least.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am

Since we haven't seen Charlotte in months, hard to know how much 'better' they may be from us now. Maybe they aren't anymore! If Amerks bring their A game (and stay away from foolish penalties) they can definitely win these two games.

Taylor tells us that the goalies are on a 2 and 1 rotation. But I wonder...if Wedge plays lights out tonite...will he also play tomorrow, given that the Amerks will be off for a whole week? Wilcox needs work to stay sharp....but Wedge is clearly our playoff goalie and he needs to play in 'the big games' now. If it were my decision, if he plays well...he stays in.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 am

Wedge should play both. No excuses. These are big games. Need to get ready for playoffs. I don't want Wilcox in there vs. Charlotte.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 am

I have to agree, you have almost a week off after, save Wilcox for the 3-in-3 next weekend to get a game in. Really from the 22-30th of this month, we have 6 games in 9 days, I would expect 4 for Wedgwood, 2 for Wilcox over that stretch for sure.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Back in the Calder Cup years, this wouldn't have even been an issue. The #1 goalie plays most all the games, with the backup getting the occasional game and thats it.

right now, the biggest danger i see over the last month is the Sabres tinkering with their lineup with stupid call-ups. yeah, everyone's goal is to play in the NHL...but right now (bigger paycheck not withstanding) how good is it to go from a tightly knit, winning team with a chance at a Cup, to a team in complete chaos, going nowhere...just to say you're playing in the NHL?

I know many would argue that its ALWAYS better to be playing in the NHL, no matter what...but sometimes you just think at how disruptive it is to have roster changes down the stretch, if they really aren't necessary. and saying we'll have everyone back for the playoffs? Well we saw how that worked last year. I really hope the Sabres just stay the course, finish out the season and look to next year. Seriously what kind of lasting impact would playing a game or two in Buffalo have on next year's performance?

Again, I know folks can blow holes in my reasoning, and I get it...but selfishly, bringing up an Olofsson or O'Regan or Smith for a cup of coffee will accomplish little good now...and I hope it doesn't have to happen.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Wedgewood has played in 13 of the last 17 games. Two of the games Wilcox played were 3 in 3's. Doesn't seem like there's an issue with starting the number one right now.

Sabres haven't tinkered with the lineup yet, knock on wood, that's a good sign. Nylander wasn't sent back even though Eichels suspension is over so hopefully they keep him.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Another beat down by the Checkers tonight. CLEARLY we are not in their class.