Round One Flop

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Round One Flop

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Charlotte is definitely the first place team in the AHL. Amerks were no match for them tonite. Very disappointing.

What went wrong?
1) Amerks had two incredible chances to score while it was still 0-0. Goalie stoned them.
2) Amerks took far too many penalties....again
3) Amerks had a terrible power play. (they got their one goal when the game was just about over...in football that would be called 'garbage time'.
4) Charlotte didn't allow rebounds. they smothered just about every Amerk chance after taking the lead

What went right?
Nothing

In summary, they were simply defeated by the better team. Wedgewood didn't lose the game for us...Charlotte won the game fair and square. We never looked like we were in this one.
Let's hope for a much better showing tomorrow. Checkers have owned us all 3 games. I expected a better game. Didn't get it. Charlotte buried their chances when they got them. We didn't and by the 3rd period, it was just run out the clock.

tough night. Amerks booted out of 1st again to make matters worse.

O'Regan and Simpson have gone stone cold.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Round One Flop

Post by keithLGA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Redmond hasn't scored a goal in 9 games either which doesn't help. A loss is a loss, chances don't win games. They couldn't bury anything but played to the end. I don't think they made it easy for Charlotte but the W is all that matters.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am

Yeah, where has Redmond gone?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

I am not sad or mad at last nights loss. I am very disappointed that we still don't measure up.
We needed a complete game and didn't get it. When the Checkers faltered early, their goalie was there to bail them out. Once they got the lead, they stifled us at every turn. My view was we actually did make it easy for them after the score was 2-0. We took penalties; couldn't get organized on the power play and then in the 3rd period, we just ran out the clock.

Charlotte put on a clinic on how to preserve a lead in a big game. Its no accident they have yet to lose when leading after 2.

Redmond lately has played a bit tentatively when on the attack.We noticed this Wednesday a lot. He had the puck, he had a lane and instead of unleashing, he paused just long enough for the opponent to get set...then his shot was easy to stop...or it missed the mark. We miss his offense for sure. We also miss O'Regan and Simpson who have disappeared from the scoresheet the past couple of weeks. We missed Elie's grit last night.

Amerks can make it right by winning the rematch...but if they play like last night...they will come home 6 behind them and probably 3 behind Syracuse (since they are playing the hapless Devils) This could either be a redemption for us or a disaster of a weekend...where we learn that we may not be a Calder Cup contender.

I had high hopes...and we still could make a statement..but if you watched last nights game HONESTLY, you would have to admit we will have to be a ton better to beat those guys. A couple of us were criticized for 'giving up' early. It was justified. You know when a team has your number by the way both are playing the game. Amerks didn't measure up at all. Not because they weren't competing...but because they weren't good enough to beat an excellent team.

I hope they dig DEEP today and try and not get scored on first; and for heaven's sake....stay out of penalty trouble. Crisco had a miserable time of it; Porter, our captain took 2 untimely penalties...this just can't happen if we want to win an important game. We also have to try and crash the net more because Charlotte swept us out consistently. We had zero consistent pressure in the O-Zone.

This is not to say the Amerks don't have a good team. Just saying that the other guys right now, still are better, in basically everything they did.

So come on guys....suck it up and do what you have to do!

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 am

A couple of us were criticized for 'giving up' early. It was justified.

Yeah, I know when a team just "isn't in it". Last night was one. Wasn't giving up, just being realistic based on how they were playing.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Keys if we are to win tonite:
1) Score first. Its a great motivator and confidence builder against a super goalie (if he plays). Doesn't matter though...score 1st! A must.
2)STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. We plead with these guys to avoid the stupid penalties in the whistle-happy league. It disrupts flow, the lines and the time to generate offense. It has been an issue all season. We can't afford another night of 5 or 6 penalty kills
3) Crash the net. Make some chaos in front of the goal...Charlotte pushed us out all night and we just never generated any sustained pressure.
4) Need an extraordinary game from whatever goalie plays.
5) More contributions from Redmond, O'Regan and Simpson.
6) Hit the net with shots...not wide, hot high, but ON. Too many wasted chances with lack of accuracy.
7) Have the lead after 2 periods. I think we all know why.

At the very least...do 1 and 2.