Lost Weekend

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Lost Weekend

Post by insagt1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 pm

I suppose there are a couple ways to look at these last two games. One way would be, they were close games on the scoreboard but we lost to a better team.
another way would be our guys weren't up to the task at hand.

Pick your poison. Wedgewood gave up 3 in both games. Statistically thats not horrible. But in these games it was huge. Especially when their goalies were nearly perfect. When your team can't get out of their own way, the goalie must be the hero and go above and beyond if you want to beat talented teams.
It didn't happen. Wedge allowed, in my view, 2 softies. ..shots that the other guy stopped. He can't ake all the blame.
I won't pin the losses on him alone, for sure. None of our key guys showed up. None. Guys like O'Regan, Simpson, Pilut, Redmond, Olofsson...they contributed nothing. How can you go 0-9 on the power play...and look horrible doing it? 1-14 on the weekend and the one was a meaningless goal.Amerks had about 6 straight minutes of PP to end the 2nd period and they couldn't even get it set up. Their passes were weak. Their energy was diminished. You could see their confidence level was zero.

Charlotte is a great team and they showed us why. They did everything right. They never got rattled. Amerks did come out like gangbusters, but when they couldn't get a goal, it all came undone when with 30 seconds left in the 1st period, the Checkers snuck one by Wedgewood...one he'd like to have back...and suddenly the momentum was all gone.It was the kind of shot that Charlottes goalies were stopping all weekend.

I'm envious. And disappointed that we don't measure up. Checkers were as dominant this weekend as they were the opening weekend. Nothing changed. They played one solid period (well 19:30 of it). That was it.
It will be a miserable plane ride home. If Taylor tries to make these games sound better than they were, he would be wrong...at least from this observer's eyes.
Good teams can make you look real bad for sure. I thought we were a good team but we weren't close to being a good team this weekend. They made us look real bad most the time.

And now Syracuse has a 3 point lead and can pull away....unless Charlotte schools them too next week.

Amerks can say they kept the scores close. But the games themselves were not that close. Never felt either night like we could come back. But the ultimate insult was the power play. We looked like we had never played together before.

Well, I guess its obvious I'm real unhappy with these games. I had high hopes. I thought we'd win at the least, one game. I hope we can be a playoff contender, but you have to be able to win games like this to advance.

anyone else real concerned?
Last edited by insagt1 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldtimehockey

Re: Lost Weekend

Post by oldtimehockey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Yeah I'm concerned we won't win 1 series again.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

This weekend proves that we aren't in Charlotte's class and not Calder Cup contenders.

Botterill has improved us from where we were with Murray but we still have a long way to go. He hasn't been perfect but he needs time to fix the mess that is the Sabres, and to improve us.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:33 pm

I’m optimistic that we’ll win a Playoff Series with Botterill. He did plenty of that in Wilkes Barre Scranton.

But sooner or later we’ll want the Calder Cup. That he never won.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I know some really want to find positives from these games. Don't want to 'blame' anyone or ones for the total failure of these two games. I guess thats OK. For me, I had my hope up and it was a crushing disappointment that despite the low scores, an honest assessment would tell you we had no chance to win either game. Charlotte played it right. They did just enough to win. They didn't need to kill us...just prevent us from scoring. Our guys just couldn't penetrate the brick wall 5 on 5 and they completely went off the rails on the PP.
All of this puts extra pressure on the other goalie to be perfect, which probably isn't fair. but thats how playoffs are won. I didn't like that we gave up 3 in each game...but the real culprit was our total disengagement on the PP and our PK, good as it was gave up key goals both nights.

So its hard to feel good if you are a passionate fan who longs for a Cup run. These guys are better than us. Clearly. How to beat them if we get that far? Honestly don't know. I do know several of our key guys are not getting it done lately. Hope that changes.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Blame Criscuolo for the undisciplined penalty on Friday night.
Blame Tennyson for the undisciplined penalty on Saturday night.
Both lead to power play goals against.

The only thing I disagree with is that they had no chance of winning either game.

It doesn't change anything but this team is certainly different in that they continued to play the whole game, they weren't on their heels as you could say where we've seen other teams give up. Not an excuse, just an observation that makes this group a little different.

The only team that scares me about getting to the conference finals is Belleville and we get to play them in the last game of the season.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:02 am

When these happen it’s rough. I turn the tables though, and it often bites the top team in the a$*. We gave up losses but they aren’t playoff losses. Now we are the hungry team looking for revenge when it counts. I look at Michigan dismantling Iowa in basketball playoffs this weekend after an exciting Iowa upset earlier this year. Which one matters? Hopefully this will be a wakeup call with time to pull it together.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 am

keithLGA wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:17 pm
Blame Criscuolo for the undisciplined penalty on Friday night.
Blame Tennyson for the undisciplined penalty on Saturday night.
Both lead to power play goals against.

The only thing I disagree with is that they had no chance of winning either game.

It doesn't change anything but this team is certainly different in that they continued to play the whole game, they weren't on their heels as you could say where we've seen other teams give up. Not an excuse, just an observation that makes this group a little different.

The only team that scares me about getting to the conference finals is Belleville and we get to play them in the last game of the season.
How about you blame Wedgewood for 2 soft goals?
How about you blame Olofsson for misssed breakaways?
How about you blame (not sure if it was Smith or Leier) for missing an empty net?

Change those and it's a totally different outcome.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am

The scores say we did have a chance of winning. Our play indicated otherwise. Checkers weren't about to allow us back into either game. They made sure of it by finally getting 2 goal leads, which were insurmountable. I believe our 3rd periods were very weak. Last night we came out of the chute on fire...but when we didn't score, and they got that crusher in the final 30 seconds, the air went out. We had SO many chances to get back in and didn't come close. Good teams can do that to you.

I thought we were looking for revenge this weekend. A chance to get to the top. Not so sure we can suddenly flip the switch in the playoffs based on what we have seen. Of course I'd LOVE to see it. But the realist in me has to think...how can we possibly win a 7 game series against these guys?

first things first now...we get into post season and hopefully with home ice in the first round. I still feel we will get either Toronto or Belleville. Syracuse will probably win the division now. What we need is a sweep this week to get it all back on the rails.