Can't Win Enough At Home

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Can't Win Enough At Home

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:33 pm

This one was a tough one to analyze. Amerks seemed to play OK. they got a lot of shots. They came back from a 2 goal deficit.
But they lost anyway. Why?

Far too many turnovers tonite. More than I can remember actually. And just about every Phantom goal was the result of of very sloppy Amerk play.

Another lousy game from Wedgewood and Taylor recognized it early. Two the three goals were poorly played. I feel bad for Wilcox. He played great in the 3rd period...and then the gang who couldn't shoot straight in OT caused a 2 on none breakaway...and no goalie could be blamed for that easy one. So he gets the loss despite allowing only 1.

I have said all year inconsistent goaltending could be our undoing. Wedge had his second poor outing in a row...getting yanked both times. This is no way to tune up for the playoffs. He's not making the big stops when we need them right now and Amerk fans need to be concerned. He makes the stops he's supposed to make and we win in regulation tonite.

Sabres...calling up Borgen...OK. We feel good for him. Sabres danced around their 'need'. But Olofsson being yanked from us at 5pm...when Sabres don't play until tomorrow...and at home no less....THAT is vintage Sabres messing with the Amerks. Why this recall? And why tonite? Sabres are a trainwreck and we are not. But you just can't keep calling up guys like this for the cup of coffee...can you? I guess you can. This one is indefensible. And clearly we missed him tonite.

At times it looked like we had the 'B' team out there. 2 new kids, Malone, Randel, Hickey, even Cornel (who finally scored a goal after a long drought) No Oglevie, Olofsson, Redmond, Pilut, D, Smith, Veilleux . Still we put on some decent pressure after Wedgewood was yanked, but the turnovers, blind passes to no one and at least 3 collisions with our own player...the final one was the killer...finally sunk the ship.

Crunch also lost in the extra session so we remain 3 behind them. The night was not a total loss. We didn't take a penalty tonite. Thats rare.
We had 3 PP's...scoring the tying goal on the 2nd and looking pathetic on the 3rd.

Strange game. Happy we got at least 1 point...but should have had 2 points. We just don't play our best hockey at home.

So, lets see. Before the weekend is up, will the Sabres recall CJ? Or O'Regan? Thankfully their season ends a week before ours so our guys have to come back. Sabres season actually ended quite awhile ago for anyone watching.

Bluey

Re: Can't Win Enough At Home

Post by Bluey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 pm

I totally hate the fu*&^%$# Buffalo Sabres.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Sat in a section full of Cole Bardreau fans all night, I was happy we escaped with a point as long as that whiner didn't score.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 pm

I'm confused. Everyone is saying if we win Friday, we clinch. But Cleveland has 9 games left and they could get 92 points, right? If we win Friday, we will have 90. So how do we clinch? Belleville couldn't catch us because of the ROW. if Monsters lose on Friday and we win...then they can't catch us anymore.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think you answered your own question. If we win, Belleville can't catch us, that's all that matters. Even if Cleveland did catch up, that still puts us in fourth.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 pm

Malone was rough tonight. He was a factor in two of the turnovers.

Starting to think that UPL having his season end would be a good thing, Wedgewood isn't making the big saves as needed.

Wasn't a great game, wasn't the worst game, was still only a point.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 pm

The AHL is showing the Amerks Magic number of 4. Why all the worry?

The Admirals are being shown with a Magic number of 22, but I suspect that is going down to 19 when the site updates.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:45 am

What's with Wedgewood? He goes into a funk now? 2 weeks before the playoffs? Better get his act together fast. A 5 game series is real unforgiving. And my disdain for the Sabres is at an all time high. 2 hours before the game they call up our leading scorer when they don't even play? I thought JB was better than that.

moose14609

Post by moose14609 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:56 am

Starting to think that UPL having his season end would be a good thing, Wedgewood isn't making the big saves as needed.

What is UPL?

RWB

Post by RWB » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 am

keithLGA wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 pm
Malone was rough tonight. He was a factor in two of the turnovers.

Wasn't a great game, wasn't the worst game, was still only a point.
Malone sucks, let’s be honest. He shouldn’t come near the ice in the playoffs if the Amerks are healthy.

Porter
Criscuolo
Nylander
Smith
O’Reagan
Asplund
Olofsson
Simpson
Thompson
Leier
Elie
D Smith