Thoughts on NHL First Round

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Thoughts on NHL First Round

Post by insagt1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:13 am

1) Huge upset in TB..Torts got his guys going after a dreadful 1st period and stole game 1
2) Mild upset in Boston. Leafs got the goaltending and captured game 1
3) Caps nearly duplicated what happened in TB. 3-0 first period lead....took an ENG to seal the win in game 1
4) Isles win in OT before a raucous Uniondale crowd. Beating the Pens is always a good thing
5) Blues and Stars looking to unseat the higher seeds with game 1 wins
6) Sharks with an easy win over the fading Golden Knights
7) Calgary with a convincing win over Colorado

Still think TB and Boston will prevail. But it would be nice to see Torts finally win a playoff series for the Jackets. Probably too much to ask.

insagt1

Re: Thoughts on NHL First Round

Post by insagt1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am

Blues in total control...Isles up 2-0 on Pens...Vegas evens up their series ....and then there is Columbus. We saw this movie last year when the Jackets won games 1 and 2 on the road against the Caps...then lost 4 straight, including 3 at home. this year...2 straight shocking wins on the road in Tampa. But will history repeat when the Jackets return home?

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Hey, nothing about Nashville! What gives?

1-1 against Dallas and moving there for Games 3 and 4.

Islanders now 3-0 against the Pens.
Jets on live support.
Tampa is a big upset in the making.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Winnipeg back in it. Preds and Stars tied 1-1. Barry Trotz and the Isles ready to dump the Pens. Columbus on the verge of a major upset. If TB gets eliminated, that changes the entire makeup of the Eastern Conference 2nd round.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 am

Leafs/Bruins gave should be very interesting tonight in TO. In game 2 the Bruins came out very physical, which I expected and evened the series. If it wasn't for Freddy Anderson the game would have been a blowout. #34 has been a passenger the first two games in bean town and a non factor. The Leafs D had played better than expected espically in game 1.

The officiating was horrible in Game 2 and I think that's why I think things got out of hand with Kadki and DeBrusk. How could you not call a penalty on the knee to knee incident? Kadki by no means is an angel. He plays on the edge sometimes and the cross check on DeBrusk is unexusable! There is no place for that kind of stuff in the game. He should have dropped the gloves and went after him. DeBrusk was throwing cheap shots all night long and I think the bottom line is that the refs let to much go.

I expect I mush better game from the Leafs tonight in TO. The crowd could be a factor it the Leafs start on time.

I expect Kadri will be suspended today for the rest of the series. He deserves it. A lot of the Leafs fans in TO want him gone. He has to much skill to keep making bonehead moves like he did Saturday night.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 am

Bruins of course have Marchand. He is a royal pest, bordering on very dirty...BUT he also gives you 35-40 goals and is probably one of their top 3 players. If you' re a fan, you have to live with this.
there have beem many others who fit the category of 'hated' by the opposition but beloved and talented by their teammates...because they were tough and could actually play the game, not just goon it up.

John Ferguson was the toughest hombre of his era...he also could give the Habs 20+ goals. Clear the Track...here comes Shack. He was a moron--but could also play the game and score goals. Philly's Dave Schultz, the Hammer, another guy who did more than just fight, although thats what he is known for. In our league there will always be Gary Risling. didn't we just hate that guy's toothless grin and agitating ways. But he also scored goals, making it worse. There are so many more.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 am

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 am
Bruins of course have Marchand. He is a royal pest, bordering on very dirty...BUT he also gives you 35-40 goals and is probably one of their top 3 players. If you' re a fan, you have to live with this.
there have beem many others who fit the category of 'hated' by the opposition but beloved and talented by their teammates...because they were tough and could actually play the game, not just goon it up.

John Ferguson was the toughest hombre of his era...he also could give the Habs 20+ goals. Clear the Track...here comes Shack. He was a moron--but could also play the game and score goals. Philly's Dave Schultz, the Hammer, another guy who did more than just fight, although thats what he is known for. In our league there will always be Gary Risling. didn't we just hate that guy's toothless grin and agitating ways. But he also scored goals, making it worse. There are so many more.
I remember John Ferguson well as a Hab. To bad he didn't give his hockey knowledge and passion to his son JF Jr.! He sucked as Leafs GM! Of course they had a horrible vision in those days and the team stunk too. Remember the Hammer was briefly an Amerk too! I remember Rissling and Bennett Wolf with the Skipjacks. That was when Hockey was hockey and not this Euro, pansy, Ice Capades NHL Bettman has turned the game into. Back in those days if you did the crap that Kadri and DeBrusk pulled someone would kill you on the next shift. Now the game protects rats like Marchand and Kadri that run around and do anything they want and when it comes to answer the bell they don't have to. It was much better when the players policed the game, especially in a game like Saturday night in Boston when the Refs don't take control of the game. I remember watching Rangers games when they were televised locally when Jim Gordon did the play by play and Bill Chadwick "The Big Whistle", a HHOF ref would say to Jim when a game got chippy "Jim the Refs have to be careful." They didn't do that in Saturdays game and that why it gets ugly!

I am looking forward to tonights game in TO. Kadri has an in person hearing in NYC with then NHL today. I would be very surprised if he didn't get at least 6 games. Who needs players that pull that kind of crap. Not the Leafs!
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Leafs played a solid game against the Bruins and came away with a 3-2 win. Many may feel this is an upset in the making. Meanwhile in Carolina, a very motivated Hurricanes team humiliated the Caps 5-0..probably the worst playoff game in Caps history. They barely got any shots in the 2nd and 3rd periods and were completely disorganized the entire game. They weren't ready to play and Carolina took full advantage.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Who does Syracuse get back now?
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Ironically Torts eliminated the team he coached to their only Stanley Cup win in 2004. He's probably the closest thing to Eddie Shore left in the NHL today.