Thoughts on NHL First Round

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Thoughts on NHL First Round

Post by insagt1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 am

Caps disappointed me a lot. But it was clear that Carolina wanted this one more. They thoroughly outplayed Caps in the OT's. Would have been almost unfair if they didn't prevail. Caps stopped playing when it was 3-1 and Carolina just took completely over.
All 1st place teams have been eliminated. Has that ever happened in the 1st round since this arrangement was instituted? I don't think so.

Favorite to win now? I'd say in no particular order...Isles, Blues, Bruins, perhaps Columbus. But anyuone could win it this year. Naturally I'm hoping for Boston, but if not, somebody who has never won the Cup yet.

Gluey

Post by Gluey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:12 am

bmb2jn wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 pm
I wonder if Mike Babcock gets fired because of this.
He came aboard in Detroit when the pieces were already falling in to have a playoff team year after year. He has won ONE Stanley Cup. Ownership in Detroit was willing to invest in their team and farm club.

Hartley & Bylsma took over teams that were about to win the ultimate prize.

Torts took teams in Rochester & Tampa and made them winners!

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 am

I hate Boston, but I wonder if they run over Columbus, if Torts gets let go. Probably not after round one. But if he comes available, Buffalo might want to go after him hard. They need a red a$* in the room. This team lacks discipline and leadership. They need a boss.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am

Torts would certainly be an interesting fit in Buffalo. But I think he is probably safe in columbus for another year, no matter what happens going forward.
Discipline and leadership...two qualities the Sabres definitely need.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 am

I may not like the Bruins but I respect the way they play. Against the Leafs they shut down their speed in the games they won and I think that was a key to winning the series. They can play any style, speed, rough, etc. If you don't control the Leafs speed they will embarass you, and they did that.
I expect a much moire physical series with Columbus, they are a much heavier team than the Leafs are. It should be fun to watch.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:47 pm

What Boston does have going is that when their #1 line is ineffective....like last night when none of them played well especially Pastrnak, who really looked bad, they have others to pick up the slack. In game 7 and last night, they were the ones who won the game for Boston. I expect this to be a long series.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 am

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:35 pm
The Capitals are in deep trouble. they have been thoroughly out-everything'd by Carolina the last two games. tonite they couldn't do a darned thing after giving up that tough goal at the end of the 2nd period. Carolina smothered them and Caps looked totally lost out there. Momentum all Carolina's now. they look like Columbus looked against TB. I don't think they can recover.
The Caps are missing Trotz! He can make the most of his talent. His only fault is turning very good offensive players into fair defensive players.

Gluey

Post by Gluey » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:47 pm

The Caps were done b4 the playoffs when Kempny went down for the season.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:43 pm

You could see, even as game 7 ended, the team just wasn't as engaged as last year. Losing at home in OT just didn't seem to have them really angry. In fact, the way they played in OT, it was almost like they expected to lose. Maybe they didn't want to face their ex-coach!!!