Zero For Nine. Amerks Choke Again

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Zero For Nine. Amerks Choke Again

Post by insagt1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 pm

So they played perhaps 20 minutes in a desperation game. They had no answer for Toronto's goalie. They had zero sustained pressure on him tonite. They didn't do one thing they said they would do to stay alive.
The winning goal tonite was a result of a lazy clearing attempt. Inch the puck over the line and that goal never happens. It was one of many non-plays by Olofsson, who had a terrible post season.

Incredibly Amerks are now 0-9 against Toronto in the post season. Not surprisingly they are once again the first team eliminated.

Another wasted season. This one hurt more than last year. We had a better team this year. There was no reason to think we couldn't win even one game. Our offense was MIA the entire series. Posts and crossbars don't count for squirt.

For a team that talked confidently, they sure didn't look confident. They never started to play until the 3rd period. It was ugly. And ugly finish. Not too many of us will care to remember the 99 points and 2nd place finish. Or the 5 wins in 6 tries against the Marlies. All that matters was the last 3 miserable games. All losses.

When it counted most, the team caved in. They did NOT play well tonite. The season is over. Don't know what it will take to ever get these guys to win a playoff series. As for Taylor....he didn't adjust when his team was faltering fundamentally. He insisted they were playing well. they weren't...because the scoreboard doesn't lie.

Its over.

Bluey

Re: Zero For Nine. Amerks Choke Again

Post by Bluey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

A mirror image of their parent club.

For the moronic Sabre sheep who keep insisting we are just a developmental club, we just knitted you a new set of losers.

Botts AHL club in Wilkes-Barre never won a cup either. So much for being a master builder of a minor league team.....
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Kevin Porter was asked if he was stunned and he said a little bit. Bye.

This season will be remembered for a lot of talk, another failed playoff run, and losing to big crowds. There's more too. What a bust.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:04 am

Clean house this summer. There's a lot of UFA. And, IMHO, I'd move on from Taylor. 0-6 in the playoffs and didn't do a damn thing to change things when needed in the playoffs. Lost all the big games this season. Games in front of big crowds at home, terrible losses in Charlotte, losses at the end of the season in Syracuse with the division on the line. He's a terrible coach. Good players don't necessarily make good coaches.

Oh, and here's a little nugget: 2-15 in the last 5 playoff series for this wretched team in the playoffs.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 am

I don't know if it's better or worse that I'm not really surprised. Is anyone around here? You never really knew what team was going to show up from night to night all season. Wedgewood started off pretty poorly this season, looked like he had it figured out, and then slowly declined on the way into the playoffs. Like previous years, we saw our top guys called up to Buffalo to "get a look" when they should have been gearing up for the playoffs, and they came back and did nothing for us for the most part, the one exception might have been Borgen. I get it, development league, rewarding hard work, etc. Stop doing it when they would be playing MEANINGFUL games in Rochester to call them up into the dumpster fire of a team that is Buffalo to completely get in their heads. Every year, same thing happens with the same results.

I agree on Taylor. I really wanted him to succeed here, but it isn't working. The fact that he was even in the conversation for coach in Buffalo is ridiculous, he has proven nothing until he actually gets a team deep into the playoffs. I'd be fine if he was completely gone next year. The home record and not being able to win any of the big games says it all. This team wasn't ready when it mattered.

The only positive from last night was the Don Stevens' "retirement" tweet was just poorly worded, and he really isn't going anywhere.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am

I said after the first game it was going to be a sweep.
The Marlies have more experience in big games, more grit, more of everything it takes to win in the Playoffs, and much better coach.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that this whole organization top to bottom accepts losing.

Taylor said something like we are "Heading in the right direction." Are you ****in kidding me! You just got swept by a team lower than you in the standings, couldn't win a big game all year, or home game in the Playoffs and you say you are going in the right direction! Unreal!

I think he is like Randy C. Loved him as a player but not as a coach.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

amerks23 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am
Taylor said something like we are "Heading in the right direction." Are you ****in kidding me! You just got swept by a team lower than you in the standings, couldn't win a big game all year, or home game in the Playoffs and you say you are going in the right direction! Unreal!
To be a little fair, which isn't necessary right now, it was a response to a question asking about the organization and overall culture. That's when someone who wasn't spewing out the company line should've said, "we can talk about that at locker clean out. Right now this wasn't the right direction."

But hey, according to the Sabres geniuses out there we should be happy with 46 wins, 99 points, and almost not being swept.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 am

Progress to Sabres fans is not out-chancing Syracuse last year, but this year we did out-chance Toronto. We just don't know enough about the game to realize we "should" have won this year.
Last edited by UncleBenny on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:48 am

Well Jason....you turned out to be right when weeks ago you said we didn't want to face Toronto in the first round. Even after Hutch went up, they had an answer in goal. Our guy didn't cost us the game last night, but I don't see him returning next year.
As for Taylor, lousy coach, nice guy, great player...but he needs to be replaced....and NOT by any of the current a$*'t coaches, who to me, barely have a pulse. Makes McCutcheon seem like Tortorella.

Sabres continue to mess with our guys when it is least appreciated. Perhaps other organizations do it too, but somehow the winners manage to get their teams up for the big test. We didn't come anywhere close to being ready for this post season. You can talk about 'bad luck' and hitting posts all summer long. The other guys somehow managed to put the puck IN the net.

I was VERY disappointed at the way we approached and played last night. They didn't look one bit like a team with fire in their belly to stay alive. They looked nervous and tentative and never showed a pulse until a few short periods of time in the 3rd. Even in the last couple minutes, there was nothing there at all. I think these guys knew they were done before the puck dropped, CJ's comment, 'we're not eliminated yet' was hardly a vote of confidence.

Team spent too much time telling us how 'good' they played in the first two games. Really? You disappeared in game one once you couldn't score in the first period; then you blew a 2-0 3rd period lead faster than you could blink. Last night was simply predictable.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:55 am

I would also like to take this time to thank Keith for keeping this place going season after season. At some times it can feel like an echo chamber, but it's also the only place I know I will see discussion between people who all truly follow the Amerks. We can always hope next year is "our year".