The Once Great D&C

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

The Once Great D&C

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:27 pm

This is like kicking the dead horse over and over. But the recent cry by the editor for input from its readers rekindled the fire for me. Plus a couple of arrogant tweets by Mike Harrington. both he and Sal seem very thin skinned when offered the slightest pushback. I don't think Sal even tries to make the long time readers of the paper feel good with his responses. Not even, we're trying hard to find a way...its just 'you people are stupid and don't get it'.

OK, I am being outfitted for my dunce cap and 3 legged stool Sal. I'm surprised Matthews puts up with this...being a former columnist and great advocate for our local teams. All we hear is that their 'research'...clicks on computers...and guess who does that the most...says almost NO ONE read the content about the Wings and Amerks. Sorry, I've lived too long to totally believe that line. Who are they asking? 15-29 year olds who probably never saw or intend to see an Amerks or Wings game, unless they are promised loud obnoxious music and free food.

there are others still breathing air in this community who actually enjoy our pro teams. There include families whose kids are out of high school and would probably see their interest in pages and pages of hs sports wane with time. Not saying eliminate it...but not at the expense of giving our local teams virtually no coverage. Might even help attendance, heaven forbid. Sal's attitude is not a credit to the entire D&C readership, such as it is. My opinion.

Harrington tells us all about journalism 101...on his high horse he neighs that journalists are not 'fans'. Uh-huh. Semantics. You name me one beat writer or columnist of his city's local teams who hasn't had 'fan' creep into his writing. and why the heck not? If readers wanted sterile reporting they could just look for 'AP-wire service'. Our hockey and baseball writers reported what they saw...AND it was very clear which team they liked. Again, why not? If not loyal to the city they represent, why even write at all? You don't have to cheerlead, but you can make the hometown fans feel good with a good story that isn't just a summary of a box score.

these two guys are so defensive you don't dare say anything that could spark a decent debate. Our paper has discarded some of the great sports writers of our day. At least the ones that are left could be a little more considerate of those who still enjoy our local pro teams. Leo Roth wrote some good stuff on the Amerks during the playoffs only. (and the paper probably knew it would be a very short assignment anyway..which it was.) But thats what we miss. Props to Leo for at least giving us that.

to listen to Sal, we are all morons to even want this coverage anymore. We don't understand. Well I have donned my dunce cap...because I guess I never will understand completely. :ugeek: Also not naive enough to actually believe what they are feeding us. why not just say we can't afford to do this anymore.

schlag

Re: The Once Great D&C

Post by schlag » Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm

You are talking about two dead men walking. let them rest in peace.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:27 pm
This is like kicking the dead horse over and over. But the recent cry by the editor for input from its readers rekindled the fire for me. Plus a couple of arrogant tweets by Mike Harrington. both he and Sal seem very thin skinned when offered the slightest pushback. I don't think Sal even tries to make the long time readers of the paper feel good with his responses. Not even, we're trying hard to find a way...its just 'you people are stupid and don't get it'.

OK, I am being outfitted for my dunce cap and 3 legged stool Sal. I'm surprised Matthews puts up with this...being a former columnist and great advocate for our local teams. All we hear is that their 'research'...clicks on computers...and guess who does that the most...says almost NO ONE read the content about the Wings and Amerks. Sorry, I've lived too long to totally believe that line. Who are they asking? 15-29 year olds who probably never saw or intend to see an Amerks or Wings game, unless they are promised loud obnoxious music and free food.

there are others still breathing air in this community who actually enjoy our pro teams. There include families whose kids are out of high school and would probably see their interest in pages and pages of hs sports wane with time. Not saying eliminate it...but not at the expense of giving our local teams virtually no coverage. Might even help attendance, heaven forbid. Sal's attitude is not a credit to the entire D&C readership, such as it is. My opinion.

Harrington tells us all about journalism 101...on his high horse he neighs that journalists are not 'fans'. Uh-huh. Semantics. You name me one beat writer or columnist of his city's local teams who hasn't had 'fan' creep into his writing. and why the heck not? If readers wanted sterile reporting they could just look for 'AP-wire service'. Our hockey and baseball writers reported what they saw...AND it was very clear which team they liked. Again, why not? If not loyal to the city they represent, why even write at all? You don't have to cheerlead, but you can make the hometown fans feel good with a good story that isn't just a summary of a box score.

these two guys are so defensive you don't dare say anything that could spark a decent debate. Our paper has discarded some of the great sports writers of our day. At least the ones that are left could be a little more considerate of those who still enjoy our local pro teams. Leo Roth wrote some good stuff on the Amerks during the playoffs only. (and the paper probably knew it would be a very short assignment anyway..which it was.) But thats what we miss. Props to Leo for at least giving us that.

to listen to Sal, we are all morons to even want this coverage anymore. We don't understand. Well I have donned my dunce cap...because I guess I never will understand completely. :ugeek: Also not naive enough to actually believe what they are feeding us. why not just say we can't afford to do this anymore.
Harrington is an arrogant A-Hole who I have been in a pissing match on more than one occasion. I called him a couple of times on MLSE stuff and Maple Leafs history and stuff where he was tweeting the wrong information and I called him on it. He acted like I was a loser and I told him I have been a Leafs fan since the the 60's and he didn't know what he was talking about. Case closed.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 pm

The new D&C editor wrote earlier this week (end of last week?) asking "If you were the editor" and asked for feedback. I sent him an email and explained what I do with this site, even asked if they were hiring, and also said I'm still a reader/fan and want coverage of the local teams. Would think after asking for feedback there'd be at least a canned response of "thank you" or something. Nothing. I've heard stories of others that work for different teams reaching out to them and getting no response.

Gene Battaglia said it best on the radio today, if you're going to be a local paper you need to cover your local teams.

From the sports side of things it just seems like they don't care and neither does Sal. Maybe there's no value in it for them but in this world you'd at least expect the editor to say "we hear you, we'll see" or "we hear you, but it's just not happening right now." If they're really trying to gain subscribers they're losing out. At the end of the day, we shouldn't care. Let the failing business die.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

I too sent him an email...as he requested....and I too have heard nothing, nor do I expect to. At least Karen Magnuson did answer emails and I respected her for that even when I totally disagreed.
Schlag said Sal is a dead man walking in this gig...probably so. Still doesn't excuse the arrogance and disregard for honest hearted fans who are simply asking that the paper serve the entire community...not just a select few. (yeah I know...they SAY no one cares about Amerks or Wings coverage....what else can they say when they decide to drop them altogether.)

And as for the notion that the print paper is dying...the online version doesn't cover our teams either. And with a click of a mouse, you shouldn't have to worry about deadlines. What would stop someone like Keith from filing his LGA stories with them at the end of a game electronically...and have that story practically instantly appear in their online 'edition'?

Impossible....yeah, I know. Oh, my ditto machine ran out of ink and I need to get more paper.....

schlag

Post by schlag » Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 pm

my mother is 90 (just slightly older than Ted) and gets the "paper" everyday. when I go to visit her I am astonished how small it is. there is literally no content in there. so while it would be nice to see Amerks news in all honesty there isn't much of any news in it. my mother only gets it for the obits.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm

LOL, I love it!! Its getting harder and harder to find folks older than me these days!! the paper is like a habit. You go to the mailbox in the morning, fire up the coffee machine and take a look. Its true, there's not much to it anymore. but there is enough stuff going on in this town to merit in depth coverage. Not necessarily 'breaking news' but the whys about things. such and such is murdered in his car...what is the backstory? Hamilton is in town..how about a legit commentary, now that it has been here two weeks...get the community's comments. They do cover a few of these things, but its hardly enough. You would think covering our local teams shouldn't even be debated. Before Kevin was fired, he did stories tangential to the 'box score info. and we were kept current as to what was going on...without having to always go to the computer.

According to our expert Sal, nobody ever read those stories. I want to know who 'nobody' really is. and who the somebody's ' are they don't want you to know about.

Red Wings pitching staff is a mess. Our top hitting catcher Sawyer has been out for weeks...anyone know anything about him? Sano should be arriving here perhaps this week. No news. Our manager doesn't talk to anyone, ever. No one writes about it calling him to task. Matthews complains about the lack of local team coverage....while at the same time defending Sal's lame responses..or at least not willing to take him on. He took on David Gannt and everyone else to build Frontier Field...and hey it worked. Seemed impossible, but we got the ballpark.

How many here remember sniffing the wet ditto paper when the teacher handed out exams, back in the dark ages?? I know you did it!!! Everyone did. :D

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:41 am

Hey Ted! I didn’t see you at Kodak Hall last night at the opera? The music is great because it’s a Mozart piece. I just hate all that yodeling. I spent most of the late night in the lobby. I only saw about 40 minutes of a 3 hour performance.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 am

We aren't opera fans so we turned in our tickets...and went to see Hamilton. It was a good choice. Surprisingly (for me) Hamilton was superb. didn't think I'd like it, but it was truly a great show. I'm a fan of Mozart, but not his operas. We also went to Penfield Symphony Orchestra show on Monday and it was also very good and well attended. There is a lot of good musical stuff floating around this community.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I like this forum because it parallels Milwaukee and the Admirals. You could switch D&C to MJS and change a few names and that would be it.

The Milwaukee newspaper used to ask people for their opinion about what they wanted to see in the newspaper. Many people told them that they wanted the Green Sheet back. That was a section with local off beat news, crossword puzzle, horoscopes, comic strips, notable news items on that date, i.e. D-Day, famous people's birthday's, usually actors and musicians. The MJS brought it back...after 20 YEARS!

We get the paper at work. One recent Tuesday, the paper was so thin that I thought that we didn't get all of the sections. We did get them, but the total was 30 pages. Twenty five years ago, it would be 60 or 70 pages. A Wednesday would have 100 pages and Sunday would be 200 to 300 pages.