Its Blues vs Bruins for All the Marbles

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Its Blues vs Bruins for All the Marbles

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 am

I remember exactly where I was when Bobby Orr soared thru air back in 1970 to give Boston their 1st Stanley Cup since 1941. It was the small basement TV room of my Gardner Hall dorm at McGill University. The room was filled with disgruntled Montreal Canadiens fans, who felt cheated that year because the Habs missed the playoffs on a screwy tie breaker. No Boston team deserved to win it all without going thru Montreal they felt.

And they were right. The Habs had owned Boston for years in post season. During my time at McGill, I watched pretty regularly as Montreal found ways to break my heart, as a Bruins fan. (and they did it again in 1971 against perhaps one of the best teams ever assembled in Boston...thank you very much Ken Dryden)

However on this day, most of my college buddies knew St.Louis really didn't have much of a chance. And when Orr soared thru the air to win game 4 in OT, they all congratulated me, and one other Boston fan in the room, and said, 'wait till next year' (and of course they were right..Habs beat Boston in 7 and ultimately went on to beat Chicago and Tony Esposito for the Cup)

Fast forward nearly 50 years, and its Boston vs St.Louis again. For the Blues, it will be their 1st trip back to the Finals since that day in 1970. And they have yet to win a game in the finals....going 0-12.

The long layoff is not favorable for Boston...but at least there will be nearly a week off for St Louis as well....what a ridiculous wait. Why start next Monday??? St. Louis has looked great in post-season. But I still feel the Bruins are the better team. Better teams have lost playoff series so we take nothing for granted.

I'd like to see Bobby Orr drop the ceremonial first puck in game one. Would also be neat if several of the players, still alive, from that 1970 match-up could be present and in uniform as a tribute to the past.

Let the games begin!

bmb2jn

Re: Its Blues vs Bruins for All the Marbles

Post by bmb2jn » Wed May 22, 2019 10:06 am

Blues were like the 95-96 Amerks. They were dead last at Christmas time.

What a turn around. Shows you the importance of having the right coach.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Go Blues!

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Blues are going for their first Cup. they will have lots of supporters. (of course I won't be one of them....BUT if they do win it all, I'll be fine with it)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 am

Its totally ludicrous that they are letting so much time pass before starting the Finals. People are going to stop even thinking about hockey. Oh,, you mean the playoffs are still on? could have fooled me.

blues were done on Tuesday..Finals needed to start Thursday or Friday at the latest...and there should have been 2 games during the Memorial Day weekend. Did they think the holiday would ruin the ratings? Making a team wait 10 days before playing again is just not right. it never helps anyone.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:10 am

'Its only the first game'....winners are happy to get the first one under their belt. Losers take solace that one loss doesn't knock them out of the box.

For Boston, after that long layoff, you could see the rust in the first 21 minutes. Then, they woke up. Once again, getting contributions from other than the number one line, they are going to be tough to stop. Blues are now 0-13 in Cup Final games.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Wow..what an incredible effort from St Louis...who totally deserved to win tonite. they were SO much better than Boston. the OT was a complete mismatch...Blues controlled the entire time until the inevitable goal. But Boston didn't have a thing tonite. they were chasing the Blues all night. Only Rask kept them in it.

Props to St Louis. If they play like this the rest of the way, they will pull the upset. Sometimes teams that dominate that much don't get rewarded...=but it was clear they wanted it more, without question. Once St Louis tied it at 2-2, Bruins checked out. Blues with home ice advantage now.

Kinda knew it was going to be a bad night for Boston when they failed so miserably on their power plays.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Will now be interesting to see if Boston has an answer for the way the Blues dominated them. I really want the B's to win it all, but if it doesn't happen, the Blues will win their very first Cup and they will have earned it. they have been quite a story, second half. As bad as Boston was in game 2...it did take OT for St Louis to win...Rask has been outstanding and may still be a factor in getting Boston across the finish line.

Gluey

Post by Gluey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Game 3, 3-0 Bruins after per 1.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:11 am

Interesting twists and turns to this series. Bruins definitely had an 'answer' last night as they thoroughly crushed the Blues 7-2 and the score didn't indicate how lopsided this one was. Blues stormed out the first 4 minutes like they were going to run Boston out of the rink. Rask stood tall....and the game totally changed. Bruins 4 for 4 on the PP. Their top line showed up.
Now its the Blues turn to 'answer' tomorrow night. I wouldn't bet against them....even after this dominating Bruins effort. its only one game....however we are running out of games!
When you've toiled this hard all season and you know you are just 2 wins away from winning it all, the motivation must be very strong at this point to finish the job. It has been a very physical series so far.