AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by insagt1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 pm

On Opening Night at the BCA way back in October, the Charlotte Checkers schooled the Rochester Amerks into submission. The very next night, again at the BCA, they did it again. Little did we know then, that this team would go on to lead the AHL wire to wire...and then cap it off with the Calder Cup.

Amerks lost all 4 games to Charlotte. It was no accident. This was an exceptionally good hockey team. So often, the 'best team' over the regular season doesn't capture the Cup, but this year the best team did and deservedly so.

To all those select Sabres fans and others who will bleat on and on about how minor league hockey doesn't matter...that it only exists to develop players. that the players really don't care about anything but getting to the NHL....they are SO wrong headed. Watch the celebration. Watch it again. See how excited those guys are to win a Championship. It wasn't mechanical. It was a joy to watch. We in Rochester are totally jealous...that it may never happen here again.

Nothing is better than winning it all. It matters to these guys. And it should never be downplayed, by anyone. Congrats to the Checkers and the Carolina organization for a great year.

Finally....it was also a huge lift to see that no West Coast team has won this championship. Until they compete the way all the other teams do, they don't deserve to win. And they never will until they truly 'join' the AHL.

User avatar
Bluey
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by Bluey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 am

It's only the arrogant, self-centered and "entitled" Sabre fans who have no use for minors. They have no clue on what they're talking about. Everything revolves around "the big club". Nothing else matters. I have no use for them.

As for the Checkers, maybe now the front office here will see that their fans aren't idiots. When I said last spring that the road to the Cup ran through Charlotte, they gave me the dirtiest look and wondered if I was "rooting" for the Checkers and not the Amerks. Bunch of morons couldn't recognize that the Checkers were the best team and the Amerks couldn't match up. Yes, of course, I would love to see the Amerks win another cup. But I don't watch the game with so much heart, that it clouds reality.

The backup goalie for the Checkers was undefeated in the playoffs. How'd our guy do?
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

User avatar
amerks23
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by amerks23 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 am

The Sabres will continue to go nowhere and remain in the toilet of the NHL where they belong until they realize that winning at the AHL level is important in developing prospects for the NHL. You look at the teams that have had success in the NHL. They all had winning teams in the AHL.

The Sabres just don't get it and they never will under the current ownership.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

User avatar
Gluey
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 am
Location: Henrietta, NY

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by Gluey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

insagt1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 pm
On Opening Night at the BCA way back in October, the Charlotte Checkers schooled the Rochester Amerks into submission. The very next night, again at the BCA, they did it again. Little did we know then, that this team would go on to lead the AHL wire to wire...and then cap it off with the Calder Cup.

Amerks lost all 4 games to Charlotte. It was no accident. This was an exceptionally good hockey team. So often, the 'best team' over the regular season doesn't capture the Cup, but this year the best team did and deservedly so.

To all those select Sabres fans and others who will bleat on and on about how minor league hockey doesn't matter...that it only exists to develop players. that the players really don't care about anything but getting to the NHL....they are SO wrong headed. Watch the celebration. Watch it again. See how excited those guys are to win a Championship. It wasn't mechanical. It was a joy to watch. We in Rochester are totally jealous...that it may never happen here again.

Nothing is better than winning it all. It matters to these guys. And it should never be downplayed, by anyone. Congrats to the Checkers and the Carolina organization for a great year.

Finally....it was also a huge lift to see that no West Coast team has won this championship. Until they compete the way all the other teams do, they don't deserve to win. And they never will until they truly 'join' the AHL.
I think it's time for Buffalo ownership to look closely at the players they have rather than pull the trigger on the coaches? I remember Ryan O'Reilly said it was hard to get up for the games. This should tell management something.

bmb2jn
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Alden, NY

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by bmb2jn » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:08 pm

Gluey wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am
insagt1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 pm
On Opening Night at the BCA way back in October, the Charlotte Checkers schooled the Rochester Amerks into submission. The very next night, again at the BCA, they did it again. Little did we know then, that this team would go on to lead the AHL wire to wire...and then cap it off with the Calder Cup.

Amerks lost all 4 games to Charlotte. It was no accident. This was an exceptionally good hockey team. So often, the 'best team' over the regular season doesn't capture the Cup, but this year the best team did and deservedly so.

To all those select Sabres fans and others who will bleat on and on about how minor league hockey doesn't matter...that it only exists to develop players. that the players really don't care about anything but getting to the NHL....they are SO wrong headed. Watch the celebration. Watch it again. See how excited those guys are to win a Championship. It wasn't mechanical. It was a joy to watch. We in Rochester are totally jealous...that it may never happen here again.

Nothing is better than winning it all. It matters to these guys. And it should never be downplayed, by anyone. Congrats to the Checkers and the Carolina organization for a great year.

Finally....it was also a huge lift to see that no West Coast team has won this championship. Until they compete the way all the other teams do, they don't deserve to win. And they never will until they truly 'join' the AHL.
I think it's time for Buffalo ownership to look closely at the players they have rather than pull the trigger on the coaches? I remember Ryan O'Reilly said it was hard to get up for the games. This should tell management something.
It's a chicken or an egg argument.

The Sabres ran Dan Bylsma out of town, but he won the Cup with a loaded roster with Crosby, Malkin and the Penguins.

OTOH the Blues missed the Playoffs last year and were dead last on January 3rd. They change their coach and are now 1 win away from the Cup.

The Islanders are another example. They lost John Tavaras yet they got to the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Vegas Golden Knights last year. An expansion team full of deadweight getting to the Finals

User avatar
keithLGA
Site Admin
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 am

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by keithLGA » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Andrew Poturalski of the Checkers was playing with a broken foot and "a couple of other things." We had a guy that couldn't play because of a cut.

User avatar
oldtimehockey
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 am
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:31 am

keithLGA wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Andrew Poturalski of the Checkers was playing with a broken foot and "a couple of other things." We had a guy that couldn't play because of a cut.
That's why I never want to see him in an Amerk uniform again.

insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:56 am

Good news is I don't think HE ever wants to see himself in an Amerks uniform again as well :D Sabres please take note and take appropriate action.

insagt1
Posts: 7503
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Last year Toronto was the AHL champ and they won the Cup too. Unusual for this to happen two years in a row. Past that Hershey, I believe Manchester and Norfolk also won the regular season and the Cup in the past 10-15 years.

I have to think its even more rare in the NHL.

User avatar
Bluey
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by Bluey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm

"Sabres please take note and take appropriate action."

Appropriate action would be to trade his a$* as far away as they can.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

Post Reply