AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
Dubblenikle

Re: AHL Best Team Wins It All!!

Post by Dubblenikle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Tokarski is a UFA. That's a guy we should go get July 1. Tokarski and UPL and I feel a lot better about things. The Checkers had such good goaltending they played both in a back to back in the finals. That's how they won. they were effing stacked. Carolina is what Buffalo hoped to be. But as per usual, we are not.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:33 pm

I agree, he would be an improvement over Wedgewood

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Rochester should be intriguing for a high end UFA goalie. Guaranteed #3 for an NHL spot, guaranteed to start the season with UPL and Johansson injury recovery. We'll see what Sexton does. We all agree Wedgewood just isn't that guy. Had a decent stretch and then went downhill.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm
Last year Toronto was the AHL champ and they won the Cup too. Unusual for this to happen two years in a row. Past that Hershey, I believe Manchester and Norfolk also won the regular season and the Cup in the past 10-15 years.

I have to think its even more rare in the NHL.
Milwaukee was the regular season and playoffs champions in 2003-04.

Nashville traded a 7th round pick in 20-21 for Connor Ingram from the Lightning. He will probably be the top goalie in Milwaukee this year. He was drafted in the third round of 2016 by the Lightning. He is 22 and has played 57 AHL games with a 34-18 record with Syracuse, but you guys probably know all of that. This could turn out to be another David Poile golden nugget. (Now if we could find a scoring forward and a PP ace!)

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:37 am

bmb2jn wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:08 pm
Gluey wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am
insagt1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:05 pm
On Opening Night at the BCA way back in October, the Charlotte Checkers schooled the Rochester Amerks into submission. The very next night, again at the BCA, they did it again. Little did we know then, that this team would go on to lead the AHL wire to wire...and then cap it off with the Calder Cup.

Amerks lost all 4 games to Charlotte. It was no accident. This was an exceptionally good hockey team. So often, the 'best team' over the regular season doesn't capture the Cup, but this year the best team did and deservedly so.

To all those select Sabres fans and others who will bleat on and on about how minor league hockey doesn't matter...that it only exists to develop players. that the players really don't care about anything but getting to the NHL....they are SO wrong headed. Watch the celebration. Watch it again. See how excited those guys are to win a Championship. It wasn't mechanical. It was a joy to watch. We in Rochester are totally jealous...that it may never happen here again.

Nothing is better than winning it all. It matters to these guys. And it should never be downplayed, by anyone. Congrats to the Checkers and the Carolina organization for a great year.

Finally....it was also a huge lift to see that no West Coast team has won this championship. Until they compete the way all the other teams do, they don't deserve to win. And they never will until they truly 'join' the AHL.
I think it's time for Buffalo ownership to look closely at the players they have rather than pull the trigger on the coaches? I remember Ryan O'Reilly said it was hard to get up for the games. This should tell management something.
It's a chicken or an egg argument.

The Sabres ran Dan Bylsma out of town, but he won the Cup with a loaded roster with Crosby, Malkin and the Penguins.

OTOH the Blues missed the Playoffs last year and were dead last on January 3rd. They change their coach and are now 1 win away from the Cup.

The Islanders are another example. They lost John Tavaras yet they got to the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Vegas Golden Knights last year. An expansion team full of deadweight getting to the Finals
The reason the Islanders are better is simple. They have 2 great Hockey people as coach and GM now. Vegas did then same thing with their GM and coach. Some NHL teams don't have proven winning people in calling the shots. That's why they will continue to be at the bottom of the NHL.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 pm

adsfan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 pm
insagt1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:08 pm
Last year Toronto was the AHL champ and they won the Cup too. Unusual for this to happen two years in a row. Past that Hershey, I believe Manchester and Norfolk also won the regular season and the Cup in the past 10-15 years.

I have to think its even more rare in the NHL.
Milwaukee was the regular season and playoffs champions in 2003-04.

Nashville traded a 7th round pick in 20-21 for Connor Ingram from the Lightning. He will probably be the top goalie in Milwaukee this year. He was drafted in the third round of 2016 by the Lightning. He is 22 and has played 57 AHL games with a 34-18 record with Syracuse, but you guys probably know all of that. This could turn out to be another David Poile golden nugget. (Now if we could find a scoring forward and a PP ace!)
I am pretty sure Amerks HOF'er Scott Nichol who is Milwaukee's GM & Nashville's Director of player development had a lot to do with the trade also.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Winning at the AHL is important, but that's only part of the equation.

A huge reason why St. Louis turned it around was the emergence of Binnington. Their AHL goalie.

But like I said. It's only a part of the equation. The Toronto Marlies won the Calder Cup last year and the Toronto Maple Leafs STILL lost in the 1st round of the Playoffs.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 am

Garret Sparks helped carry the Marlies to a Calder Cup and then struggled in the NHL. As you pointed out, a goalie can make the world of a difference.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 am

keithLGA wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:51 am
Garret Sparks helped carry the Marlies to a Calder Cup and then struggled in the NHL. As you pointed out, a goalie can make the world of a difference.
Word out of TO is that Sparks is one the trading block.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.