Sweatin' and Swattin'

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Sweatin' and Swattin'

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Summer has arrived and its really baseball time again....time to get out to Frontier to sweat, swat flies and drink a brewski or two!
Last night, with a lot of Yankee fans in the house, the Wings outlasted Scranton 8-6 on a late HR by one of the AA kids called up because of all the injuries. Its rare that we get to see the home team win when it comes to Amerks and Wings.
they are playing this afternoon and have an early 5-4 lead on a day when the wind is blowing out pretty strong. It would be so nice to beat the hated Yankee farm team, that has owned us for so many years

insagt1

Re: Sweatin' and Swattin'

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Our pitching staff is still awful. When we do get decent pitching, like in Toledo, we get shut out twice. Pitchers were not good in this two game series, but the bats were....and we won them both with 8th inning rallies. Today's 10-9 win featured 4 Wings who collectively were 13-16; while 3 others were 0-14 with 10 strikeouts. the young kid Davis just up from AA hit 2 more HR's and drove in 6.

Twins finally cut bait with Moya....who was about as bad as you could be this side of DeJong...who really needs to be the next one to hit the road.
today DeJong and Eades worked well in tandem to blow a 5 run lead.

So the Wings are back to just 3 under .500 and trail Scranton by 8. Probably still too many to make up but it was nice to sweep them. The two games drew just under 15,000 total. Not bad.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:31 pm

They just can't get to .500. back within a game now. can they do it? Get to .500 for the first time since being 1-1? If they can keep winning like this, maybe they get the wildcard. But that would require winning baseball the rest of the way. Can they do it.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Nope...bullpen gives up a 4 run lead late and then the winning run scores on a wild pitch. Wings have, or have had 17 pitchers so far with ERA's of over 5.00. 10 of those pitchers have ERA's over 6.00. There isn't one guy in the pen other than Stashak,the newly minted kid from AA with the ability to get outs.This late in the season, those kinds of ERA's should be long gone, or exceptions forjust one or two.

Wings have had some nice comebacks...but they have also blown a ton of big leads in games they should have won. The writing was on the wall this year when we lost 20-18 at home early in April. Its mind boggling how bad this staff is. Is it any wonder we can't get to .500?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:52 am

Wings average attendance is up over 6,000 again. Rochester is basically locked in to either 9th or 10th place in the league in attendance every year due to our terrible crowds in April and May. I don't know how or why Buffalo does that much better than us in those 2 months, but they do.
We should do about the same as last year if the weather holds out.
I would love however to see if a miraculous run to the playoffs has any positive impact on crowds over the last 2 months. Marketing suggests no...people don't come to see the Wings per se...they come for the promos. Hard to argue unfortunately. Tuesday's Pride Night drew nearly 10K; last night with the huge fireworks drew nearly 12.5K.

Marketing is everything these days.

I noted with great disdain that Josh started playing this infernal nonsense 'music/noise' during his game re-caps. I called him out on it. It disappeared last night. Maybe a different producer back at the station? Or maybe, by some miracle, he listened. I have NO CLUE what they feel adding this 'soundtrack' to a re-cap does to enhance the presentation...except to annoy and distract. The world today just assumes that there has to be music/noise every second or no one will listen.

As Harvey Korman said in Blazing Saddles....'drive me off this picture'.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am

Big series with Scranton, our sworn enemy, coming up. 5 games that might propel us back in the race...or reduce us to insignifant games the rest of the season...at which time, marketing steps in and continues to find ways to get people to the games. :D

July 4th. History buffs will remember that on the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration, both Jefferson and John Adams (who both signed) died. Adams last words were reported to be 'Thomas Jefferson lives' (they became best friends and pen pals in their later years, after years of animosity)
What Adams didn't or couldn't know, was that Jefferson had passed away just a few hours before. If you like history, this stuff is fascinating.

After listening for the umpteenth time to the entire soundtrack of Hamilton, my family is ready to spend whatever it costs to sit close and see it again.
Historically accurate and written by a sheer genius, this musical was the BEST! (and initially I didn't want to go)

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:11 pm

"Marketing is everything these days."

Know of another local organization that could use these wise words??
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:18 pm

I can't honestly remember the last time the Amerks had decent and aggressive marketing. The best they come up with is real loud music, which apparently the kids absolutely love....ask them sometime which team is the home team.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Wings are up 8-1 early in their attempt to get to .500 and pare a game off Scrantons lead. Wings have routinely blown big leads lately so we are hardly home free.
Watch Zander Wiel. He walks to the plate...left hand on bat...then right hand on bat a few inches above the left...then right had comes off and grabs crotch...then puts hand back on bat. He does this EVERY pitch....looks totally ridiculous. *but Michael Jackson would have loved him!)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Scranton has the traditional 7th inning stretch...just take me out to the ballgame. I actually like that, I wonder how many other teams just do the anthem at the beginning and determine thats enough for a sporting event?

Wings are up 10-1. Is the lead safe yet???