Sweatin' and Swattin'

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Sweatin' and Swattin'

Post by insagt1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 am

You get no-hit on Monday and score 20 runs on Thursday...against the same team...and they got 9 against the starter who was 6-0 entering the game. Go figure. Last night everything the Wings hit was hit hard. Whenever they loaded the bases, they scored. Didn't care for all the hit batters though. Looked like our guys had no control at times but clearly something was going on between the two teams. Two Wings were hit early in the game. And we retaliated.

Watching Astudillo play is beyond entertaining. Baseball needs more fun players like him. I'm sure he will help the Twins down the stretch. He'd be there now but they don't have the roster space. Littell should be there too, but right now, no room. Wings really have no shot at 1st place anymore, but last nights game was fun to watch.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:37 pm

If the Wings sweep Syracuse then you guys are right back in it. But good luck sweeping a team that has won 8 straight.

As for my Bisons, last night might have been The nail in the coffin but they have a terrible Paw Sox team coming into town, so they have a good chance to get back in it.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:48 pm

From 20 runs to dead bats again. but Skinner chose to use the ultra terrible Romero to try and keep it a one run game. And like clockwork...Romero 1st walks the first two and then presto....before you can blink, he gives up 3 runs to basically knock the Wings out of any chance at all of making post season. Romero is the worst guy in the pen consistently. Some of the other stiffs have had a couple of decent outings lately but Romero has been awful all the time.
Our hitters know its over and its an ugly end to the game.

SWB will win too, so looks like 4th place for us.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 am

...and so it ends for baseball 2019. Wings were .500, for only the 2nd time in their history. Paid attendance was best since 2010..don't know the actual turnstile count, but its always much lower.
Team suffered greatly from a total lack of competent pitching, while at the same time hitting up a storm. Broke records for HR's...also for strikeouts...both our pitchers getting them and our hitters whiffing. (clearly the k count for out pitchers had little positive impact on their overall terrible performances)

A record number of players suited up. Twins recalled and sent back pitchers on a daily basis. And at the deadline they traded away perhaps their most promising prospect, Jaylin Davis for a relief pitcher who may or may not be worth it in the end. that was their biggest miss, IMO...other than that they kept our roster full. Some succeeded, others not.

but once again we missed post season...something that happens a lot. One of these years maybe the Wings or Amerks will get there and actually win again. The drought is 1996 for Amerks and 1997 for Wings. Its a generation of fans since who have no clue as to how it feels to have a champion here in Rochester. (with apologies to the soccer and lacrosse teams)

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:55 am

I'm not confident on this years Amerks either. Not much on that current roster screams "championship" to me.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 pm

A few weeks ago you asked if Amerks fans are happy with the Sabres as a parent club.

So I must ask are you happy with the Twins as a parent club for the Wings?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Honestly yes I am...given what is now available to us....and its not much. While we haven't won anything yet as their farm team, Twins have given us a decent amount of talent over the years, and for the most part have kept our roster full. they have given us a few top notch managers and a couple of clunkers. Tom Nieto's 2 years here were collectively the worst two seasons in Wings history, by a mile. While I was critical of Joel Skinner, it came to my attention that the Twins have been calling all the shots lately and he actually is nothing more than an order taker. Wasn't always like that.

the number of parent teams looking for affiliates is small and most of them would be very bad choices in Rochester. While the Twins have zero footprint here (the media I'm sure has no idea where Minneapolis is..since its not Buffalo, Syracuse or a local high school)...the working relationship between us and them is excellent. Their organization is very strong especially at the lower levels, and as we have seen, the Twins are a pretty awesome team these days.

So overall, I think the relationship is a solid one. I miss the Orioles (but not what has happened to that franchise) they are a mess. some feel the farm is getting strong, but overall they are badly run and currently are an embarrassment to MLB and the fans of that city. No organization is perfect. (even the Sabres!!!) We could do worse than the Twins.