Sweatin' and Swattin'

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Sweatin' and Swattin'

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Off to that sauna known as Florida in July for a week at Disney and visiting oldest daughter and hubby. Wish we could go when it was cooler, but its only time the whole fam has off together. so I will be carrying around water bottles like an ammo belt.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:48 am

The Gwinnett camera crew figured out Wiel's 'act' and didn't focus on him except from far away or from the waist up. Every single pitch...both hands on bat..right hand off...grabs his buddies...back on bat. On the bases, after every pitch, he goes back to his base, enjoys his buddies again and then steps off the base. I wonder if he knows he looks ridiculous and a bit inappropriate. I know some players do 'adjust' infrequently, but this is a habit that needs to kind of be fixed.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 am

Not sure if it was because of the Yankees farm team being in town, dollar dogs, or a TV show "celebrity" charging $10 for pictures and autographs being there, but that seemed like quite a crowd for a Wednesday last night.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:58 am

Sounds like it was all of the above!

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

It was all of the above. I was there. Total zoo. Couldn't get to the food, beer or pissers. Fans were leaving in the 6th inning. Sorry, but you stand in line the whole game, pay $10 just to get a picture with some clown from the Office.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Beer line when we got there at Rohrbach's was fine. Got up for food in the 4th and it was chaos so we just went down to Red Osier which had a very short line, no one ever goes back there.

Grabbed a beer from the bar after and it was almost totally empty there as well. When ordering the woman asked if I waited in line for the bar and said no, I hadn't even noticed there was a line since the bar looked empty. She said good, I hate when people line up for the bar haha.

But yeah, parking was pretty bad before the game. All the lots were full by 6:45 which is fine, but then everyone just sat in traffic gridlocking every intersection so no one could move. I had to basically reverse through an intersection to get into a clear lane and I was parked in the High Falls garage the within 3 minutes...people just sitting in traffic infuriate me.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Bisons are 5 games back and Red Wings are 7 games back.

Both teams are not out of it, but it's going to take tremendous August to get in the Playoffs.

I wish the IL would add another Wild Card team like what MLB has. That would make the final month of the season more interesting.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 pm

I would love that too, especially since its hardly fair for us to be in a 6 team division while the two divisions have only 4 teams. But this shows just how unimportant the league thinks post season is. They want it over with quick! They make both series best of 5...and they play everyday. Its a shame.

However things could change a bit after next year...when rosters can only expand to 28. And they start with 26...so that exodus of players on Sept 1 isn't going to be such a big deal anymore as major league teams won't be raiding their farm teams. That MIGHT help our league gain back some post season credibility. In fact I'd love it if they returned the Finals to best of 7.
Have 2 wild card teams...play a best of 3...or even a play-in game. It would only add a couple of days to the playoffs. Then a best of 5 and best of 7, Would add some meaning again to the Governor's Cup

Large crowds always present parking issues and concession lines. But its really nice to attend a game with a full house. Recall what a crappy atmosphere we have on Wednesdays at the BCA. I think the only fans who like those games are on these boards! Everyone enjoys the game more...fans and players, when the stands are full and noisy. (not music noisy, fan noisy)

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Large crowds always present parking issues and concession lines. But its really nice to attend a game with a full house. Recall what a crappy atmosphere we have on Wednesdays at the BCA. I think the only fans who like those games are on these boards! Everyone enjoys the game more...fans and players, when the stands are full and noisy. (not music noisy, fan noisy)
Agreed, I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we had parking issues before every Amerks game, people would adapt and the area would learn to handle it better. I wish that was the case, but I don't see it happening in the near, or even far, future.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 am

sad but too true. I'd love to see long walk up lines again...and pre game excitement. Only a real great team now will even come close to letting that happen. And all those Wednesdays will be very difficult to generate the kind of crowds we are looking for. Saying that, it isn't just here...we all know that. the league knows mid week games in the AHL are mostly 'throwaways' at the gate everywhere. But they are more concerned about their 'prospects' not having to deal with the 3 in 3's. I'm not sure we are really seeing better hockey because of it. Some have felt that the play on Sundays in a 3 on 3 isn't as good. I really can't address that. I do know it never used to be a concern for all the Sunday games I attended for years....but its a different hockey world now I guess.

Bottom line..expect tiny crowds Wednesday and hopefully decent ones eventually on Fridays. Unlike the Red Wings, winning games is much more important to hockey fans. The promotions just aren't there so the games are what bring people out.