Sweatin' and Swattin'

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: Sweatin' and Swattin'

Post by insagt1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 pm

For pure baseball fans....the recent surge by the Wings keeps them in slim contention. So the final home games could be a lot of fun, for those who go to see baseball.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 am

Couldn't sweep the Pawsox. Wings did have many chances to get back in yesterday's game but the back end bullpen failed and we just couldn't get those key hits with runners on that we have been getting lately.

While 1st place really isn't going to happen, I'd still like to see us finish runner-up and above .500. Lately you really can't tell the players without a scorecard. They change everyday. We have had our share of injuries....same with the Twins, even tho its mostly Buxton every couple weeks.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 pm

With the Wings still quasi-in the race with 15 to play after today, only 8 more chances to get out to Frontier to sweat and swat! The season really is short. I wish they could start in May and end Oct 1. Next year when the big leagues can only expand by 2 players, it makes even more sense to extend the I.L season into September.

Even tho the kids are back at school, the weather is much better in Sept, than it is in April (when kids are also in school) The offseason is so very long.

Wings are now in a sort of 4 team race for 1st and they play 2 of the contenders the rest of the way. If they had pitching, they might have a chance. But last night they got the pitching but the bats went silent

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:37 am

Quasi in?

They're 3 games back of the IL North.

The hope is that the SWB Rail Riders keep collapsing. But then you got the Bisons and Syracuse Mets to fend off.

Wild card is a bit far away. 6 back.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Yeah I say quasi because the reality is we only have a handful of games left and there are 4 teams in the mix. The 'good news-bad news' is we play 2 of those 4 teams...but 4 game series' are really killers. For the Wings to gain ground on Buffalo they have to win 3 of 4. anything less is pretty worthless. If they split, they remain 1 behind Buffalo with 11 to play (4 more against them) but we also have to gain ground on 2 other teams.

Its not impossible but we are a .500 team at best...which means the odds are against us going on a run right now. Can we do it? Of course. But it will be difficult. Its not rocket science...but the Wings are gonna have to win a large majority of those 15 games. Any loss to Buff or Syr costs us 2 games...sort of like the '4 pointers' in hockey....its the 2 you get and the 2 they don't get.

Make no mistake, I'm extremely happy that these games are meaningful this late...especially after that horrible first half.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:29 pm

So what you're saying is a better start would've had them in a better position right now?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 pm

More than that. We were once 13 under .500 and we came all the way back., But our lousy pitching staff has not been able to keep us in games we should have won after we did get back to .500. You could point to any number of games we gave away needlessly....and you can look at our record in the gimmick round....if we were just .500 there instead of 3-10 or 3-11 (can't remember which) we would be right where we need to be.

All the wins you don't get in April and May are important...because they are harder to get in August. (more pressure...players getting tired...fill in the blanks..injuries....) Too many teams to have to beat out make these games nearly all must wins. And we're off to a bad start.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:41 pm

TJ Zeuch of the Bisons no hits the Red Wings

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:30 am

Diving catch by the center fielder for the second last out to protect the no hitter was pretty impressive. Lame game as a Wings fan, but personally I've never seen a no hitter before, so I guess that was cool.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:24 am

I wish this had taken place in May, not during a very tough pennant race. I really don't think the Wings have a legit shot...too many teams involved and we just aren't consistent enough to win the big games. I see us finishing 4th at the end of the day. But again, the fact that we are still close is all right.
Its a big tease.
We could win the next 3 because every game is different. but it just doesn't feel like it will happen. Buffalo is on a roll and we are merely circling .500. Our season paid attendance is now 390,000 with 7 openings to go. I think we'll finish somewhere between 420,000 and 430,000....again.