Red Wings Back to .500!

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Red Wings Back to .500!

Post by insagt1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 pm

When they were 13 under and couldn't do a thing right...I was writing off this season. Now as July begins, the bats are booming and the team is winning despite some very questionable pitching. With the 11-1 win over Scranton, the Wings are now 42-42. First time they have been at .500 since they were a mere 1-1 in April. They now trail Scranton by 6 1/2 with 56 games to play. They probably have no shot at the one wildcard, but if they do well in this series, who knows what might happen in the division.

Poppen can pitch.He went 7 innings allowing just 1 run. No Wings starter has gone that far, and allowed so few runs in many weeks. Smeltzer is also very good, but is totally snake-bitten when it comes to getting wins. Past those two, the rest of the rotation is weak. And the bullpen is no fun to watch.

But these guys can really hit. Pretty solid lineup...even with Astudillo and Arraez in Minnesota. (those 2 may not return) Might be fun to get out to the ballpark and do a little sweatin and swattin before hockey season begins again!

hockey13

Re: Red Wings Back to .500!

Post by hockey13 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:48 am

A record month of June. They won 20 games.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:45 pm

This team has really surprised me. The hitting improved exponentially. The pitching has been crap all season long. But somehow they have gone from 13 under .500 to back even again....which is quite an improvement.

If they could somehow get the pitching, they could compete for the division.But so far, the bullpen has been just awful and the starters haven't been a whole lot better, except for Smeltzer (who can't buy a win) and now Poppen. thorpe strikes out a ton...but also gives up a ton of runs. Stewart isn't very good and DeJong shouldn't be on the team.

As everyone knows, I go to the games to watch the team win. I don't care about the promos that much. I long for the day when the Wings are actually a force in the league again. May never happen...but I can hope.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 pm

ARRRRRGH. Wings have no pitching. So close to a DH sweep and they blow a 2 run last inning lead....then a THREE run extra inning lead in the gimmick round WHICH I CAN'T STAND. Stupid manager leaves a pitcher in who blew the last inning lead and this stiff couldn't get a single out next inning.

The Wings could have been a contender but with this pitching staff in the pen, we will continue to lose games like this.

Bah

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:52 pm

while pitching is our main problem, within a few hours we lose Wade and Cave to Minnesota. Twins struggle with the pen too. Duffey nearly blew the game for them today and Rogers had to come in to get 7 outs. Its the only one they trusted to close it out.

Who do the Wings trust to close it out?

Nobody.