2019/2020 Schedule. More of the same.

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: 2019/2020 Schedule. More of the same.

Post by keithLGA » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:49 am

I'll share it here where only us regulars look that I'm aware of, not really necessary to share anywhere else. Back in May when the editor asked about coverage I wrote a two part email. One as a fan wanting to know more about our local teams and our city taking pride in what we have. Also said that if there was covereage of all the times on a regular basis I'd likely subscribe much like I do The Athletic. I also said hey here's what I do, hire me as a freelancer. I have a body of work and I already have the access. Weekly wrap up article, something. Here's the reply I got over two months later...
Dear Keith –

Thanks for writing, and my apologies for the delay.

We are not hiring for Amerks coverage, but if we do, we will keep you in mind.

The problem about local news organizations covering local pro teams is that the audience pool is quite small relative to Buffalo Bills or high school sports. People go to the pro teams’ games, but they’re not living and dying with whether or not the teams are winning or losing. Some of that is because pro and college sports nationwide are far more accessible to all of us on our smartphones and on cable TV compared to 30-50 years ago. If I can follow the Angels’ no-hitter late Friday, that’s time I’m not spending thinking about the Red Wings.

Also, the Wings and Amerks do a fine job reaching the fan base they do have directly through their websites and Instagram and Twitter, It’s hard for us to compete with what they already do, as indicated by how little the online audience is for stories we write when we do.

This might change, but it’s where things stand now.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Michael Kilian
Executive Editor
Democrat & Chronicle
Mid-Atlantic States Editor

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm

And precisely why I won't give that rag any of my money.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Problem with that reasoning is its circular. When you don't cover, no one notices...and you get your 'data' that no one is interested. Now that it has been a couple of years...why not 'test' that theory again..but do it correctly. clearly the channels he points to for Amerks in particular are NOT getting to the fanbase. This site is GREAT for us...but sadly we are pretty small. Keith, your input for the fishwrap would help immensely. he is also assuming there is no interest in reading about our teams based on what I believe is one demographic. (he won't admit to that I'm 100% certain) but even with cable and all the other stuff, its hard to believe that after decades and decades...ALL the fans of our local teams have gone away completely.

You give them more coverage, more fans will be or get interested. they just don't want to expend the resources when its so easy to cover the Bills, Orange and high school. I wonder how many in this community do NOT care about high school sports..and DO care about Amerks and Wings?

wings attendance will always be good because of the aggressive marketing and the summer weather for baseball. amerks have neither. But even with the Wings, you still want to know about the day to day happenings of the players and the league, right? Isn't that what a newspaper should do...even if its only the on-line version. You wouldn't have the same deadline issues on-line...if you cared.

I believe Matthews also offered to contribute...clearly the paper doesn't WANT to do it and they will hide behind their 'research' that nobody cares. And heaven forbid you try and discuss this with Sal M..he'll say we are all morons and know nothing about anything.

I know we aren't alone in this problem..but Rochester's teams have a very long, storied history, which apparently doesn't count for squat anymore. We may as well suck like everyone else than try to be better in serving the public.

My thoughts

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Bluey wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm
And precisely why I won't give that rag any of my money.
(my response was to Keith's post from the editor)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

I will also take great exception to his notion that Red Wings do a fine job reaching their fanbase thru all those outlets. As a fan who cares about the TEAM, all I can get are the promos and brief game summaries (which are buried on the right side usually several headlines down). Try and get in depth news about players and transactions and you have to dig real deep and even then you don't get info quickly. But I sure as heck know all about the special days and new food. Not that its bad of course, but real sports news disappears like the melting snows.
Compare Keith's LGA site with the Red Wings website. No comparison when it comes to actual news about the team. How many more of 'us' might there be if the paper was doing its job for the community?

Maybe Pegula will get in lockstep with the paper now in making sure nothing that benefits the people of Rochester will be promoted. More ads on TV and in the paper telling us all to go to Buffalo, the great city. Sheesh.

Bourgeois

Post by Bourgeois » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:24 am

I love Wednesday games. I’m already out and about and it’s a great mid-week break. I’m couchin’ it on a Sunday.

The hockey is much better Wednesday than Sundays, too. Watching two exhausted teams play can be pretty boring.

And while Sunday matinees AFTER NFL do draw much better than Wednesday’s ... DURING NFL they are just as bad if not worse.

It’s like Keith said - it’s how it’s going to be so gotta make them special. There are a lot more people living downtown now so the opportunity exist.

Sunday games drew well 30 years ago because every game drew well. We averaged over 6,900 one season in an arena that held 7,365 WITH the stage.

Regarding the Wings team coverage... they’ve made it clear they are more of an entertainment option than a sports option. They do a great job of it - but it sure as hell isn’t interesting to me. They need an LGA guy like Keith... but not sure there is enough care for it?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

Eric's logic is good. The problem is he is just one person. Unless/until the team can figure out HOW to get people to games on Wednesday, those games will still be a box office bust...and thats no good. The compromise should have been Wednesdays during NFL and Sunday matinees after NFL to split things up. I doubt Joe average fan can tell the difference in play even it its a 3 in 3.

But having said all that, since apparently neither NHL or AHL care one bit about lousy attendance mid-week...and Amerks have no marketing skills, we will continue to live with in-house 'crowds' of 1,000 or 2,000...which to me negates 'better' hockey. the environment of an empty arena isn't much fun for me.

I don't know how many real Red Wings fans are left. The paper and its 'research' to me are not reliable. I don't trust much of what they tell us anymore.
What we DO know has been stated: the Wings are more about entertainment than baseball (I hate that...but its reality). Dan Mason understands that and exploits it to the max. And the stands are mostly full from end ot school to Labor Day. The bonus I guess is the occasional good ballgame.

It has been over 2 decades for both Amerks and Wings to have won a championship. An entire generation of fans has grown up accepting this as the norm. Exciting winners used to carry the day...but no more. That is also a factor.
The Twins have tried to put a winner in here, but it seems like the Yanks and Phillies keep trumping us every year. I intensely dislike the Sabres organization so its tough to be objective. I want them to help us...but I can't stand ownership and the philosophy they have brought to our table. Florida wasn't the answer either, but its clear Buffalo only cares about Buffalo...becoming more and more obvious with each Pegula slight.

Bottom line: no good solutions.